Poll - Do you like drum solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Dino Danielli-The Rascals-2-solos -Boom-Cute-Freedom Suite
    David Garibadi-Tower of Power
    Danny Seraphine-Chicago
    Ginger Baker-Anything

2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

The only drum solo that I really took notice to (and liked) was Clive Bunker's solo on the Jethro Tull, Nothing Is Easy Live At The Isle of Wight video. Other than a few stick hits he killed it, and kept it interesting for this guitar player. Clive is underrated imo.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

only by jazz drummer (max roach has always something to say) !

4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Odd but live I tend to switch of, but listening to good Hi-Fi I love them, and double bass solos.

5. Yes, if the drummer has something to say musically. Doesn't matter if it's something long or something short, if it makes sense with the music and doesn't sound, to quote drummer Chad Wackerman, like a "circus act", it's all right!

6. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Neil Peart in YYZ was complementary of the tune, relatively short and tasteful.
    John Bonham in live Moby Dick was self indulgent, meandering and interminable. Ultimately I guess it depends on the drummer.
    I really don't understand the love of jazz drum solos (except Buddy who was a prodigy). They, in particular, seem a pointless exercise of boring self expression.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I've seen 2 drum solos I liked. Joey Kramer and Neil Peart. The rest of them just seemed like strategic intermissions for the rest of the band to go back stage and get drunk or high.

8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Ha! A mate's just sent me a photo of a sign outside a pub; 'Drummers must be accompanied by an adult'.

If Photobucket hadn't have been so ridiculous with their prices I'd have posted it here.....

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i voted no, but sometimes, every once in a while, if tastefully done, they can be quite entertaining.

more live than recorded.

keith carlock with steely dan did an amazing solo live.

and i can't even imagine 'in-a-gadda-da-vida' without it.

10. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm a drummer and I don't like drum solos ... in general, with some exceptions.

When they exist, they should definitely be brief.

For me, no drum solo outshines Ron Bushy's on In-a-Gadda-da-Vida. Not the fastest or technically most impressive, but musically the most interesting for sure.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. What would Billy Cobham's Spectrum album be without his solo tracks? Peter Criss' solo in Alive! would leave a big hole. Led Zep II without Moby Dick? And goodness knows how many jazz performers.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

13. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Once in a rare while: (John Bonham, Tony Williams, Art Blakey)

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I much prefer very tasty fills during a song.

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Don't like 'em at all.

Truthfully, I don't like solos of any stripe. The only one I've found remotely entertaining was Gary Richrath's solo spot for REO Speedwagon back in the day.

Solos are the reason to take novels to gigs.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Generally not in rock. Zep's "Moby Dick" sucks.

veloso2 likes this.
  17. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I've always loved drum solos. Yes, some go on too long but most are really enjoyable IMO. I even made a CD-R compilation of drum solo songs.

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Drums are too noisy and you've got no corners to hide in.

19. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Yes (mostly)...not all of them though.

20. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

The only one I really love is Kenney Jones on (I Know I'm) Losing You. Otherwise, they're pretty pointless.

21. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

If 20 people are playing it's not really a solo.

Ricardo Perfecto and KevinP like this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The original poster needs to add answers 1 and 3 together. The result is almost even.

A great drummer playing a drum solo live can be terribly enthralling. Playing with rhythm, dynamics, nuance, tonal color, listening can be a stunning experience. But like any solo by ANY instrumentalist, if the soloist is self-indulgent and merely noodles to kill time (no pun intended), then it's as boring as anything.

Even in studio, I can think of some GREAT drum solos:

Dave Brubeck's "Take Five". The whole album was an experiment to play with time signatures. This tune in 5/4. Listen to the video and check out what drummer Joe Morello does with his solo opportunity, playing with phrasing, space, and syncopation.

This is an amazing, thrillingly performed take on the Pat Metheny Group's "Straight On Red". There is a really inspired piano solo by Lyle Mays here, but the percussion drives this piece, highlighted by a percussion section duet.

Straight On Red

There are fewer examples of rock drum solos other than a percussion driven group like Santana. Live? The Allman Brothers were dynamite live with their dual-percussionists.

greelywinger likes this.
  23. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

No... but I don't like extended guitar solos or any type of extended solo thst takes place outside of the context of a song.

What I love is when a key drum fill may be extended into a mini drum solo... often with interaction of rest of band... and serves to elevate the song.

24. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Not really a true solo but the three man “solo” with King Crimson last year was very impressive.

Northwind likes this.
  25. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

It depends. It has to add something to the song (rather than just showing off) and shouldn't be too long. Neil Peart knows what to do. Prefer the "extended fill", shorter than a solo, but not many drummers think of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.