Poll: favourite Dario Argento film(s)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Mooglander and ilistentoallkinds like this.
  2. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Voted Inferno

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Suspiria, of course -- I saw it last year projected with Goblin playing the score live. I was hired by the venue to shoot the performance too, which was fun.

I saw Opera last year for the first time and really enjoyed that one. Great visuals. Still quite a few I haven't seen, including Bird With the Crystal Plumage, which I consider a gap in my movie watching experience.

4. Guillaume P

Guillaume P Forum Resident

She was Dario's muse from 1974 to 1985, she (co) wrote SUSPIRIA, INFERNO and maybe a bit PHENOMENA; she was more in the fantasy/occult/witch tales world than Dario obviously so thanks to her we have these masterpieces SUSPIRIA and INFERNO.
    Daria Nicolodi's best performance by far in a Dario Argento movie was in DEEP RED, she was very good in it and her duo with the late David Hemmings was compelling. It seems that she also chose Goblin to make the soundtrack so thanks to her to ask Dario to give a chance to this new band, they created a fantastic music for that film and then SUSPIRIA!

RIP Daria and my thoughts are with the Argento family... :'(

ilistentoallkinds likes this.
  5. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

Suspiria was my introduction, so many years ago, to the cinematic art of Dario Argento and to the world of Italian horror films in general. As a lifelong horror fan, seeing Suspiria, for the first time, changed my life and helped to broaden my view of what horror films could achieve in terms of sometimes violent and horrific, but genuine, visual beauty. Argento is a visual magician and a master of eerie, mesmerizing atmosphere. Suspiria is still my favorite work from him, though admittedly, I do still need to catch up with and watch more than a few of his other films, both earlier and later.

Daria Nicolodi was my favorite part of Deep Red, by far, and I loved her in other Argento films, and she was the co-writer of Suspiria! She is a true cinematic icon-- a horror icon, to be sure, and I am a serious horror film fan, but she was and is a cinematic icon, period. I will be watching both Deep Red and Suspiria, later today (and I've lost count of how many times I've seen them over the years!), in memory of this amazing woman! :edthumbs:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Guillaume P likes this.
  6. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

What terrible news. Thank you for all your screen work, Ms. Nicolodi - both on and off camera. :(

ilistentoallkinds likes this.
  7. Guillaume P

The screenwriter Franco Ferrini is talking about Argento's new thriller, which will be shot this summer:

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

It seems to me that the Spanish filmmakers have taken over the helm in the modern horror scene.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  9. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

That would be Michele Soavi (Cemetery Man, Stagefright, The Church). Though he’s not young anymore, today. He is the next generation after Argento. Mario’s son Lamberto also directed some good films (particularly Demons).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Mooglander likes this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Yes. For me, Alex de la Iglesia is as dynamic and original a director today as Argento was in the 70s and 80s. Not that his style resembles Argento’s (it doesn’t), but they both have a unique vision that can’t be summarized easily.

unclefred likes this.
  11. Guillaume P

Here's one of the first pictures of OCCHIALI NERI, Dario Argento's 20th film, a thriller about a blind woman (played by Illeana Pastorelli) and a orphan kid (played by Andrea Zhang) chased by a killer (played by...?) in the streets of Roma and its country side:

[​IMG]

The shooting has started June the 28th so i guess that the film will be released in the italian theaters in early 2022?

12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Votes for Suspiria and Tenebrae.

Guillaume P likes this.
  13. Guillaume P

Trailer for Dario Argento's new thriller OCCHIALI NERI/DARK GLASSES, on Shudder next Fall:

The film, which has premiered at the Berlin Film Festival last Friday, will be released in italian theaters February the 24th.

14. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

Somehow Lamberto's 1980 film Macabre eluded me for many years. When I finally watched it, it became my favorite of his. Superb!

agentalbert likes this.
  15. Guillaume P

unclefred, Richard--W and Mooglander like this.
  16. Guillaume P

OCCHIALI NERI/DARK GLASSES (Dario Argento, 2021):

Dario Argento's 20th film is a solid thriller.
    It's beautifully shot, tense, fast paced, nasty but also a compelling, touching "drama" with likeable lead characters. I especially liked the lead actress, the soundtrack and the bitter ending. Good film, recommended if you like Dario Argento's movies.

Richard--W, unclefred and Mooglander like this.
  17. unclefred

i'll be looking for it.

Guillaume P likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this is the one...Suspiria (1977)

Guillaume P likes this.
  19. Guillaume P

I hope that you will see "Occhiali Neri" in theaters because it really plays/works well on the big screen. I've seen the film this week on a very big screen at a French film festival and it was really a fun ride, also an emotional, somewhat moving experience.

Here's the catchy main title of the cool Arnaud Rebotini's soundtrack:

Richard--W and unclefred like this.
  20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Argento fan here. You've piqued my interest. I hope his
    new film gets an American distributor and a release date,
    the sooner the better.

unclefred and Guillaume P like this.
  21. unclefred

I hear that it's been captured by Shudder for the time being.

Guillaume P likes this.
  22. Guillaume P

It seems that the film will be shown on Shudder next fall/autumn. Maybe a few screenings in american festivals before...there's a Dario Argento world retrospective starting in New York in June, then in Paris in July, so the film will be on the big screens there!

unclefred likes this.
  23. Guillaume P

unclefred and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  24. Guillaume P

And here's the cool trailer for the Dario Argento retrospective in New York!:

agentalbert and slipkid like this.
  25. Guillaume P

Richard--W and unclefred like this.