Poll: Favourite Song on ‘A Saucerful of Secrets’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Not a clue. I've only ever heard the 2011 remaster on CD.

Just listened to an MP3 sample of the 2016 CD up loud and it sounds great! No harshness at all. Assuming the vinyl 2016 is the same. Think I might go out and buy it very soon.

9 Volt likes this.
  2. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Sounds promising!

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

What version of the album do you have?

4. 9 Volt

Same 2011 remaster.

5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Ah. Strange how this one's so bright. From a quick Google search of the versions of the album I know they all seem to be fine sounding, so hopefully I'm correct in assuming they all should sound fine on the ears :)

9 Volt likes this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Remember A Day.

I have to give Wright props for having the top two best songs on this album for my personal tastes.

7. 9 Volt

Are you talking about the 2016 James Guthrie remaster on the label Pink Floyd Records? Seems there's also a remastered European version on Parlorphone. Are these two the same?

8. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Hm, haven't of the European one. I'm referring to the 2016 James Guthrie one, yes.
    I'm confused now though. Some seem to be saying they're the same as the 2011 remasters? I thought they were different masters? You probably know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

9 Volt likes this.
  9. 9 Volt

I'm certainly no expert on Floyd remasters. Might want start a new thread about this. I'd like to know which is considered the best version too.

10. 9 Volt

I see you started a thread on this. Cool.

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Should it be Saucerful exclusive or all Floyd? I can still change it.

12. 9 Volt

Just Saucerful imho. Otherwise it could get really crazy. Should stay specific.

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Well unfortunately we didn't get any answers but I went out and bought a 2016 Saucerful vinyl and it sounds fantastic even on my ultra cheap turntable. I played Corporal Clegg on my headphones cranked the hell up (this song was the most piercing before) and it sounded beautifully pleasant the whole time. Even with the kazoos. Highly recommended :edthumbs:

9 Volt and zinan like this.
  14. 9 Volt

Thanks! You sir are a Super Trouper!!

15. Voted for "Remember A Day" (would that there were more Rick songs!!!).

And funny, "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (the one with the most votes in this poll) -- "Set The Controls..." is actually probably my LEAST-favorite song on this entire album -- not that I hate it or anything -- I just don't like it quite a much as all the rest. "Controls" is all atmosphere, and not enough heat. I do like its atmosphere, but it doesn't quite go anywhere (or at least not enough for me). Or, rather, where it goes I always 'see' (hear) coming too distinctly every time I hear it.

Quite a good album, overall -- or rather, a rather good collection of mostly pretty interesting material.

16. davef

davef Senior Member

Love this album, always have, voted for "See Saw" as it for me has a really unique vibe in the Pink Floyd catalog.. YMMV..

17. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Agreed!

Big Pasi likes this.
  18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

And what exactly is a dream?
    And what exactly is a joke?

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Changed my vote from 'Jugband Blues' to 'Remember A Day'.

Rick Wright's vocals are a significant part of the band's first album, well it can be offered a significant part of every album up through and including DSOTM.
    Rick and both Rogers "shone like the sun"

20. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I've heard the mono mix of Saucerful a couple of times via Youtube, but not enough for a detailed A/B comparison.

The one striking difference is Corporal Clegg. The whole discordant guitar track is missing on the mono mix, turning it into more of an exercise in pure power chords. I think it might actually make the song better without that overdub.

The Who Sell Out had a similar thing going on some of it's mono mixes.

21. KingPrawn19

KingPrawn19 Forum Resident

A year late but this is my favourite Pink Floyd album and one of my best albums of anyone. Strangely though for me it includes Corporal Clegg which is probably my worst Pink Floyd tune of the lot.

I also think Saucerful if Secrets is arguably their must influential album - virtually the whole of kraut rock must have been influenced/inspired by the title track.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The title track is astonishing, and that is my pick. Studio version is a little stiff, but onstage it took on a life of its own. A landmark work, proving they deserved to take up the artistic mantle without Syd Barrett's leadership

23. I have to confess that I'm slightly surprised that "Set The Controls" is so strong a winner here. It's a good song, but I've always found it to be a little long in the tooth, given what a simple tune it is (compositionally speaking).

I will admit, though, that I liked it a lot -- and found it far more effective live in concert (when I heard Nick Mason and the Saucers play it live - twice, in fact).

Good tune, but there are a couple dozen better-written tunes from the Early Years era, imho. Some days, it might even be my least favorite tune from this album (though bear in mind, I do really like all these tunes).

24. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I own the CD from the 90s but never really cared for it, I recently picked up the mono vinyl reissue and i love it, blows the CD away!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Easily one of my most played and favourite Floyd albums. Hard to pick one track as the album works so well for me as a whole. Also, after getting hold of the Mono vinyl this year I've been able to listen to a very familiar album afresh.

I went for Remember A Day.

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.