Poll – How do you like your live Beatles ............ tribute?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by an ad I heard on the radio for the below:
    “this is your Beatles” (aimed at the older middle-agers)

Classical Mystery Tour
    Celebrate the 50th anniversary of two albums that redefined the rock genre—Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and The White Album—with the RPO and four musicians in character as The Fab Four! Classical Mystery Tour returns to the RPO performing hits like "Revolution," "A Day in the Life," "Penny Lane," and more, exactly as they were recorded. A must-see for any Beatles fan!

2. The Meatles: all metal cover versions

3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I've seen 1964 a couple times and liked them each time. Very accurate sound in my opinion.

Charles Adams likes this.
  4. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

The Analogues playing Sgt. Peppers live just blew my mind. It would be them. No costumes, no wigs, only period instruments, no synthesisers, actual orchestras, and full albums played. :love::love::love:

MitchLT likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Beatlemania or Rain. Give me lookalikes if your going to do only Beatles music anyway. Give me the whole shebang.

6. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I came across the Fab Four unexpectedly at Disneyland maybe 10 years ago or more. I thought they sounded pretty good and from the distance I was watching from it was at times a little eerie. All of the choices are ok, not really that big on orchestras playing The Beatles though. My favorite recent-ish Beatles tribute project would be these guys.

Charles Adams likes this.
  7. cgw

I saw Beatlemania on my 18th birthday with a fellow fan friend - 1979

8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Sound more like them than not.

Look less like them if possible.

But if you are going the whole way (look like, sound like and dress like), PLEASE find yourself a left-handed bass player!!!!

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  9. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

In Manhattan back in March we saw Strawberry Fields at BB Kings Blues Club for Sunday brunch and while they sounded incredible the visual was just not working. It's certainly not their fault, but they are in their 60s and 70s and dressing up in wigs and tight suits made everyone uncomfortable.

That, and the chicken parmigiana was cold.

10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Lol I was gonna say the same.
    A right handed Paul sticks out.
    I realize it's tough to find a guy who can play bass, look and sound like Paul and be left handed but then just learn to play left handed.

ralph7109 likes this.
  11. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

We have seen The Fab Four several times. Really enjoyed them.

Charles Adams and Chemguy like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd go with the sound rather than the look...

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And I loved it. And again years later. Then Rain almost ten years ago.

14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

We have American English in Chicago. Sam Leach loved them. Good stuff.

vinylbeat likes this.
  15. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I voted for the time travel back to Hamburg option. To each his own, but I like my live Beatles, to be by the one-and-only Beatles. I’m sure the audiences have fun if it’s a good act and a dream for some musicians to play those songs for enthusiastic audiences. Just not my bag.

mmars982 likes this.
  16. astronauta

astronauta Forum Resident

Dr. Pepper's Jaded Hearts Club Band - 2017–present

Chris Cester - Jet
    Miles Kane - Last Shadow Puppets
    Matt Bellamy - Muse
    Ilan Rubin - Nine Inch Nails
    Sean Payne - The Zutons
    Jamie Davis

(Dominic Howard from Muse and Graham Coxon from Blur have also played as musicians for this band)

Their set is mainly Beatle tunes from 1962 to 1966 and the rock songs from 1968 to 1969

17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Saw Beatlemania, with Alf Bicknell as guest (biggest regret is that I didn't try to catch him after the show to ask him about the Fabs Thrilla in Manila incident in '66). Beatlemania was awesome, they had each Beatle's mannerisms down pat. Huge thrill was to hear the two note solo of And Your Bird Can Sing played by _one_ guitarist(!).
    Saw Beatlejuice with Brad Delp at least a half dozen times, their cover of Got To Get You Into My Life was killer with all the brass parts accurately played/reproduced on keyboard.
    Fab Faux is probably my favorite because of their cover of And Your Bird Can Sing. Ok so they do George's solo with two players but the sound is so near identical to the Fabs studio version. It's on youtube of course. I would prefer a Fabs cover band like Fab Faux who don't try to look like the Fabs but try to reproduce all the little nuances of their records on stage.

18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Can’t stand when people try to act and look and sound like The Beatles or any other band. Those types of impersonations not made for humour are just embrassing to me.

Larry Geller and astronauta like this.
  20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Don't like cover bands at all.
    But have seen the Rain Beatles tribute show a few times, since it was part of my Pantages Theatre subscription and it was very entertaining.

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I want the whole show, the total act!

The accents, the clothes, the stage setup, the setlist, the only thing that seems to always be missing is the hard rocking edge the Beatles brought to their live performances?
    Every time I've seen a Beatles cover band they were too soft, they didn't rock hard enough.

Exotiki likes this.
  22. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I saw The Return a couple of years back with American friends, the first cover band I'd seen. Very cool - a left-handed 'Paul,' although a bit too chubby, and they all wore Beatle boots. 'George' especially was impressive.
    I doubt I'll ever feel the need to go see another covers band - unless you count The Rutles this evening! :pineapple:

Exotiki likes this.
  23. cgw

No one is going to see Classical Mystery Tour?

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I saw a touring version of Beatlemania many years ago and it was quite good and fun. General appearance, physical mannerisms and sound were all pretty tight.

25. cgw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.