Poll: How do you rate David Gilmour's "David Gilmour" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I bought it when it came out but didn't think it was all that good. I ended up selling it in one of several cullings of my record collection.

I recall that I liked the song Raise My Rent.

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

"There's No Way Out Of Here" is a really good song, but I don't remember anything else from this album, keeping me interested.

One of those LPs I didn't replace with a CD.

I voted Not Bad!

3. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

The bonus being that you get some very nice Gilmour solos, even if the album is a bit too one paced.

4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Voted "solid," always liked it very much.

Beats the crap out of most of the three-man '80s Floyd.

vegafleet likes this.
  5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Had this been a PF project, pre-Wall, with writing and playing contributions from the other 3, this would have been hailed as part of the "Classic" PF era. It really is not that far from being that, with some more polished production and better lyrics. Just like Waters presented The Wall and The Final Cut to the band, this is sparse enough for Gilmour to have presented this as demos for a future PF project. I think it is very good.

mando_dan and misteranderson like this.
  6. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Voted not bad.
    I heared No Way Out of Here on the radio and thought it was great. Bought the album on the back of it and remember being underwhelmed . My opinion hasn't changed over the years.

7. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

I've blended my Fave Songs from this and Rick Wrights Wet Dream and it makes for a very nice Pre Wall Floydian Listen.

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've only recently heard the original Unicorn version of "There's No Way Out of Here." I really prefer the mix of the rhythm section on the original and wish Gilmour had used a punchier sound for his own, but the original really misses his lead playing in the worst way (I think it would be surprising if this wasn't the case). I'm about 50/50 on the vocals. I can go either way on this.

9. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Deafinitely going to bump this one in (high) hopes of more votes.... ;)

10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

^
    There might be more votes, but despite my giving it the top rating I personally doubt you'll see much change over time in the ratings. Roger fans tend not to like it as much as I do. Oh well...

Johnny Reb likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My favourite Gilmour solo album. I think he did a great job on this one.

kendo and vegafleet like this.
  12. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Indeed! This one has been growing on me, but it's still my least favorite of Gilmour's solo efforts. I seem to be in the minority... Anyway, I'm hoping to get as many votes as possible because I'll be doing an exhaustive scoring update in a few weeks.

13. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

^
    I am not sure what people who don't like it so much wish was different about it. I guess there's an overall mood to the album that some might find off putting. I would call that mood world weary, Existentialist to some extent. Some might not like the presence of instrumentals. But for what it is, what he was trying to do, I think it's great.

Back when I first got it, of course it was on lp, and that affected my view of it as a two sided experience. But on cd if anything it's better, because you can just put it on and listen to the whole thing not so much as background music but to get into its overall mood no matter what you are doing. The guitar work and the vocals are excellent. What's not to like?

vegafleet and Johnny Reb like this.
  14. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Pretty good album. It's fantastic if you judge it against other solo albums by Floyd members.

15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Swap this album's backing band for the other 3 PF members, add some of Rick's soundscapes and some of Roger's lyrics, and you would have something that could have been compared very favorably to WYWH and Animals. It would not have sounded out of place in the PF canon proper.

16. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

It escapes me as to why David didn't cover any songs from his first 2 albums on either of his recent solo tours. OK, can understand to a degree About face, as the material on that album probably wouldn't have sat in context wit the rest of the material he performed on those tours... but there's some teriffic material on the first album that wouldn't have been out of place. I think i'd have preferred to hear some of that, rather than him peddling Floyd stuff again, and again.

Don't get me wrong, i love Floyd, but 1 or 2 off his first album wouldn't have gone amiss....

Hardy Melville and Runicen like this.
  17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The reason I never buy any of his 'live' albums/DVD's is because there's no songs From About Face, don't care for the first album; only good track being No Way Out of Here. His albums after About Face are just plodders IMO. Certainly no interest in buying a live disc that focus on them and I certainly don't need to here any more renditions of Comfortably Numb; Wish You Were Here et al

18. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Forum Resident

Having only recently gotten into this album.i pretty solid and id definitely recommend it.cant believe I hadn't checked it out before now(3/4months ago)

19. misteranderson

It was great to see him play and sing so well in 2016. He was in good form, and looked like he was having fun with an excellent band.

I agree about including his early solo material, but it was a long set, and I think he could have made a couple tunes from those albums work. Naturally, he's compelled to do 50-60% Floyd.

I saw him on the About Face tour, and need to look up a set list, 'cos I honestly don't remember what he was playing back then.

20. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Not bad, not great. I have a vague memory of seeing him in concert with Mick Ralphs on lead guitar. Possible I'm confusing that experience with watching something on TV.
    Like this:

Love,
    Billy

21. misteranderson

Yeah -- Mick mostly on rhythm (with a few leads), and Chris Slade from The Firm and AC/DC on drums. That was the About Face tour.

I remember Dave introducing Mick, to great cheers and applause. We had no idea he was in the band.

22. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for Floyd fans

slipkid likes this.
  23. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Wow, I guess I don't understand any vote other than Clearly a Best Work. I think this album is better than any Pink Floyd CD after Roger Waters left.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.