POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "CHOBA B CCCP" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

OK.

2. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" is one of my favorite McCartney performances ever. Other than that, the album isn't bad, but is flat soundwise. It really drags the album down. The last time I played it, I EQed it a bit and that seemed to help a little.

3. maxwelledison1

maxwelledison1 Senior Member

Always wondered why Macca never played "Don't Get Around Anymore" on one of his tours. Would love to hear session tapes for that track.

theMess likes this.
  4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

never play this

5. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Clearly one of his worst for me

6. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Like Run Devil Run, he bursts with enthusiasm on this record and it's a joy to listen to.

DLant, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Bumping this, cuz I came across a page that had links to the CHOBA "medleys" (as they were nicknamed), which had snippets of several of the unreleased recordings from this album. I think I might have listened to that once, years ago, when the so-called "Trevor Jones" tapes surfaced, but I was probably too pissed off that they weren't complete songs to give them much thought...

Anyway, hearing them again today, it's interesting to think that there are a bunch of cuts from this album that are either unreleased or not on the issued CD/LP incarnations of this album. The CD release added "I'm In Love Again" (also on an unrelated b-side). A charity album had "It's Now or Never". "I Wanna Cry," a McCartney original (a "blues" cut, fer chrissakes!) showed up on an unrelated b-side. And another FIVE tracks have existing snippets "Out There" (pun intended) on the interwebs:
    • Cut Across Shorty
    • Poor Boy
    • Take This Hammer
    • Lend Me Your Comb
    • No Other Baby (quite different from the '99 arrangement)
    So an expanded release of this album could swell to 22 tracks - sign me up!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutely love it, McCartney is rocking, something Lennon forgot to do on his so called rock and roll album!

Bring It On Home To Me is the standout song for me, McCartney's vocal is just awesome.

Great back to basics rock and roll done by one of the masters, absolutely essential!

gja586 and theMess like this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Definitely one of my least-played Paul albums. I think it's one of his weakest, and I much prefer RUN DEVIL RUN and Lennon's ROCK N ROLL to this.

10. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I don't like this album so I can't tell the objective opinion here. A lot of top artists sometimes release album of cover material which influenced them. So it was Macca's turn.

11. mrjinks

Since you are Pyсский, I'm curious, do you recall this album's release back in 1988? It must have been one of - if not THE FIRST - album released exclusively in the CCCP, by a major Western rock act. правильно?

:wave:

theMess likes this.
  12. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I was only 2 years old when this album came out so I don't have any memories. Guess it was a serious event then.

13. mrjinks

Bump to postpone thread closure...

NOTE: Sorry if this annoys anyone, but there are "New Members" here daily, many of whom have an interest in McCartney. It seems a shame to have thousands and thousands of votes for his solo work locked for good, just because the activity slows!

14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

When are threads locked :confused: and why?

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's easier to keep an eye on for the Gorts with a few less active open threads, and easier on system resources as well.

Not very good reasons, but that's life huh!

16. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Don't Get Around Much Anymore is one of my favourite Macca covers. It's truly awesome.

I like the looseness of this album, which makes it an interesting companion to the harder rockiing Run Devil Run. ;)

17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks. What is the time period?

18. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

The only time we had to bootleg a McCartney album to America... for a couple years anyway.

19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Absolutely agree with you about "I Wanna Cry"...a great McCartney blues original. It should have been included on the album.
    Do we know how nany tracks were actually recorded for the album?

I Wanna Cry / Paul McCartney (The Complete Russ…:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I much prefer "Run Devil Run". I just like the feel of it, and the song selection was much better. With the Russion album it was like...oh great...anither version of "Ain't That a Shame" or "Lucille"...whereas RDR chose more obscure, b-side material. One of my favorites was a b-side, not even included on the album proper ..

Paul McCartney - Fabulous:

Tord likes this.
  21. mrjinks

Listening to these again this morning and wondering, did FULL-LENGTH versions of these five cuts ever escape from the vault? Or are we only blessed with the snippets?

22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Is there a link to these? I've never know of there existence. It was also my understanding that there wasa version of "I Saw Her Standing there" recorded for the sessions.

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Not sure if this is from that era ..

Paul McCartney 10 Cut Across Shorty:

Tord likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The original "Fabulous" was done by Charlie Gracie. I saw Charlie perform a few songs at a rockabilly show in NYC a few summers ago. Before he sang "Fabulous", he told a story about how Paul McCartney contacted him and invited Charlie and his whole family to one of his (Paul's) concerts in the early 2000s. Paul arranged a limo to pick up his family, invited them backstage, and treated them to anything that they wanted. He said Paul was one of the nicest persons that he ever met, and he was amazed that Paul would even care to remember him just because of that one song "Fabulous".

The original:

Tord likes this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Awesome story!!! I remember Paul saying, maybe it was that bonus interview disc, that he liked the idea of the writers getting residuals from these long forgotten songs.
    I bet Charlie wishes he would have included it on the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.