POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Flaming Pie" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

My wife and I love this album.

Beatles Floyd and theMess like this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves, too. Are there "haters of love" out there? It just sounds so idiotic. Even "lovers IN love" would sound less silly. I still think it's one of the best songs on the album, but that one phrase drives me batty. Similarly, I think "Somedays" is his best ballad since "Maybe I'm Amazed", but why did he have to have the dorky "inside each one of us is love and we know how it feels" line?

zipzorp likes this.
  3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

This one is currently over "solid effort" level and even deducting it half a point would be rounded up to "Solid effort". The one's they've done so far don't included his more lauded albums either.

4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

...Somedays has a ton of lyrical challenges..."who won the match or scored the goal"? That melody simply deserved better too.

He did better with Souvenir and Little Willow. But he lyrically peaked with "For No One".

JimC likes this.
  5. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Fantastic album, so i voted pretty solid. Only a step below his masterpieces

6. JimC

JimC Senior Member

The Anthology influence is clear. Love most of this set. I recommend it for "The Song We Were Singing" and "The World Tonight" especially.

7. mrjinks

I don't mind the "who won the match" stuff at all in "Somedays"...

It's really a similar theme to "Distractions" or "This One", in which he seems to want to pause and remember/recognize who he was "amazed at the way I really need" all those years ago. The former song has him wanting to ignore the postman and the telephone - much like he wants to ignore the trivial details of everyday life (what time is it? who won the match? where did you get that picture?) in "Somedays". The latter song has him wanting to express how grateful he is to her, and that there could never be a better moment than "this one". I think "Somedays" blends those ideas, with him contrasting the mundane things in life with his "amazement" at the depth of his relationship and his love for his wife.

8. groff

groff Forum Resident

Not only my favorite Paul album but my favorite album, period. And that includes Beatles. It has one or two duds but there are so many absolutely fantastic songs I can't hold them against it. And I agree with those who say many of these songs would be considered Beatles classics if they'd been released in the 60's.

I tend to enjoy mellow music even more than good rock so this album was right up my alley. Of course I voted essential.

anthontherun likes this.
  9. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I grew up as a huge Wings fan. But I lost interest in the '80s. Flaming Pie was the first album I bought after BTTE. I really like - a true return to form.

In the last decade I've bought the whole catalogue. I still never listen to anything between BTTE and FP though. So I rate FP and recommend it.

streetlegal likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

second only to 'band on the run' as an overall album.

Vinyl_Blues and JimC like this.
  11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

That's what I was going to say. I really believe that due to the amount of time he'd spent in the previous few years working on the Anthology, that this helped to remind him of the standards he had previously set, and gave him the impetus to try and get near that level again, which he absolutely did in my opinion.

Being held as a major influence to popular artists of that time, such as Noel Gallagher and the modfather era Paul Weller, maybe also helped his confidence that he could still go and make great music, rather than settling in to the latter end of his middle age.

JimC and theMess like this.
  12. Fan On The Run

Fan On The Run Forum Resident

I wrote this on another thread, and my sentiment remains the same:

"Flaming Pie, for me, is McCartney at his best: strong songs, strong vocals; and well produced."

13. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

One of my favourite Paul McCartney albums so I voted essential.

It was the last of Paul's albums to include vocals from Linda and so I am glad it was such a success and so well received. Somehow it's a fitting tribute.

Calico Skies, Little Willow, Souvenir, Beautiful Night, Great Day there's a lot of great tracks here. I really enjoy the whole album, I'm happy to leave the skip button alone on this one.

It went Gold only 2 or 3 days after being released, I wonder if it had been re-certified after a longer period if it would have been certified platinum? It has to be close.

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Once again I have to say FP is a great collection of songs. Flaming Pie is one of hos better rockers, Little Willow a melancholic and melodic masterpiece, Souvermir a truly great RnB ballad, the coda of bestigit night one delight. Heaven on a sunday another melodic gem and on and on. A timeleds classic

streetlegal and theMess like this.
  15. mrjinks

I love bestigit night. It is truly timeleds.

daveidmarx and theMess like this.
  16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The album blew me away when I first heard it, and it's still a favorite.

Carlox and theMess like this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I agree, though I admit I'm not a fan of "Used to Be Bad" but that's nitpicking.

sgtpppr84 and theMess like this.
  18. Very solid effort, worth recommending. For anybody who wants to go deeper than just his first 2 solo albums and Wings, it's one to check out. This and Tug Of War are my favourites of his post-70s releases.

theMess likes this.
  19. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

One of his best over the last 20 years and I would probably put it in my top five favorite McCartney albums.

theMess likes this.
  20. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Somedays is the song that stands out as one of his finest. Clunky lyrics? I don't care.

"The movement you need is on your shoulder" anyone?

theMess likes this.
  21. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

This is one of his very best. The songs are very good (while possibly not better than on most of his other albums), the arrangements and the productions are amazing.

theMess likes this.
  22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

One of his absolute best!

theMess likes this.
  23. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I love all the tracks on BOTR and probably only dislike around three tracks on "Flaming Pie". Hopefully one day "Flaming Pie" gets the Archive Series treatment.

heatherly likes this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Used to be bad is just a simple bluesjam
    But....
    There is a part in the middle where Paul really let go with his rockn roll vocals. A great moment imho

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Paul's best album. Love the vinyl.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.