POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Kisses on the Bottom" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Ah, but please sir, it wasn't me that snuck into those other threads and posted low ratings sir. Please don't ban me. I promise I'll never sing Inch Worm to you sir, please sir.

Daytripn and mrjinks like this.
  2. DonnieT

DonnieT Forum Resident

I didn't vote bad on any of his other albums. I adore them all. This is the first time Paul has made one I don't like.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Color me guilty for the range of choices.

I mentioned in some of these other threads that I wanted to approach the "ratings" with something other than a 1-star to 5-star approach and I started with that "middle" level because - like it or not - it's a very common criticism of McCartney: that he has too many "throwaways" or "unfinished" songs. It's not really a criticism that gets thrown at the other ex-Fabs, but they all have their unique criticisms, too. The corresponding dig on George might be that his songs are too "preachy", or that John's are too "personal/narcissistic". It doesn't necessarily ring true for big fans of theirs, but these are widely-held positions, even amongst those who were big fans of the Beatles as a group.

It's worth noting here that I know a large number of people who have one or more Beatles albums; outside of this forum, I know very few that have ANY of their solo works, and those were kind of the people I was imagining "talking to". If Mr. & Mrs. Smith have four Beatles albums, and quite like them (especially Paul's songs), what would someone who's knowledgable about Paul's career say if they asked about the quality of _______________ album? Does it fit that "common criticism" of Paul's? Is it worth recommending? Is it essential? Are there really only a couple decent songs, or is it obviously one of his worst?

I initially did this only for his "New" album, because that was taking some particularly harsh criticism here from folks who are clearly very knowledgable about Paul's solo career. In retrospect, I gave those criticisms a little too much regard (only 4 albums have more positive scores than New so far), and I wish I would've come up with a slightly different final option - something like "Clearly one of his worst - recommended only for diehard fans". But by that time, I'd already done a couple of these polls and I didn't think it right to go about changing the options. I figured whatever flaws were inherent in my "scale" were just something I'd have to live with and own up to when I was criticized for it.

Anyway, hope that reasoning makes some sense to you.
    :wave:

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

When taken for what it is, I voted "pretty solid effort."

Daytripn likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNGGG.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I respect him for recording KISSES ON THE BOTTOM, but I never listen to it.

7. RBurgwinekel

RBurgwinekel Forum Resident

I love the Kisses album! It is the one from his recent releases I actually enjoyed very much and play it quite often. I like the standards and the lush arrangements and Paul's voice sounds great. It's a great little curio as far as I'm concerned. I'm also a big fan of all the Fireman releases.
    Kisses is a solid effort for me.

Daytripn, theMess and Dr. Pepper like this.
  8. LuLu Reed

LuLu Reed Well-Known Member

Only played once. That was enough.

Moonbeam Skies and john hopkins like this.
  9. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

"My Valentine" is such a nice song, that had Michael Buble' recorded it, would have been a smash. In any case I prefer other artists doing most of the standards and rank it as "lower-tier".

10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The Blu-ray (Live Kisses) is nice. I put that on more often than the CD

OobuJoobu and Dr. Pepper like this.
  11. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

My feelings exactly.

john hopkins likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My feelings as well, but I like the live from capital tracks even better! The iTunes exclusive Complete Kisses is a revelation with 31 tracks for $14! Start listening from track 12 for the best effect!

Daytripn and theMess like this.
  13. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

It's not very good. The voice is gone. This is even more apparent on the live version of the album. Not good song choices either. A poor attempt to shift the kind of units Rod Stewart's been doing. Rod chose better songs and arrangements and can still sing

Moonbeam Skies and graystoke like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I voted not bad..but the rest of the option.."plenty of the usual throwaways" doesn't really fit my particular assessment of this record.

Most of the album is "good", but I have to be in the mood for it.

I can't really bring it up to the next level..."a pretty solid effort- worth recommending" , because it's probably not for most people.

So, I had to pick an option that's ...close. :p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  15. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

McCartney can't sing like he used to but you've gotta be sh**ing me! :biglaugh:

16. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Yeah, you have to lose the.."plenty of the usual throwaways" bit. I don't bother voting purely because of it. It winds at least one person up.

It's like having "Not a patch on ATMP" as, say, the second option on a series of GH album polls.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I voted Solid Effort. It's great that Paul added this to his vast repertoire. However, I think the vocals may be better on the "Live Kisses" DVD.

It is also an album that someone who enjoys American Standards can enjoy, even if they're not ordinarily a McCartney fan.

Daytripn and theMess like this.
  18. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Very near the bottom for me. Even if he'd recorded it when he had the voice for it (20 years ago maybe) I still wouldn't have liked it. I don't like these crooning standards, just not my cup of tea. For me, it's the equivalent of Bing Crosby singing Hey Jude.

Moonbeam Skies and john hopkins like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good point; part of the appeal when recording a standards cover album must surely be that you are potentially appealing to people who might not normally listen to your work.

Daytripn likes this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This one's not for me. Probably my least favorite of anything he's ever released. Not even good vocals could have redeemed the uninteresting material.

I know I'm not the target demographic.

21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

What do you think of the original songs and the the new version of Baby's Request?

Would you be interested in hearing the KOTB version of Tomorrow?

Frank likes this.
  22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

The originals are OK songs, I guess. Nothing about them appeals to me as a listener, though. The style doesn't interest me, and nothing is sung well.

Baby's Request is better on BTTE. I suspect I'd feel the same way about Tomorrow and Wild Life.

applebonkerz and theMess like this.
  23. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

As the music lover in my family, this Christmas , I was assigned to pick out two cd's to give as gifts, to a 'special couple'.
    My 90 yr young mother inlaw & her new beau, also 90 yr young who live in California. A rather difficult job if one gets past the smaltz and platitudes of picking something from the 'big band' era, unamped, safe. Instead I broke out my copy of KOTB and had a listen in the car to confirm what I suspected. Pure 100% class. Smooth, thoughtful, tasteful, timeless. Picked up a copy along with Yo-Yo Ma's Songs of Peace and Joy. We as music lovers all know the best portion is in the discovery of something new and different. The same 'ol same 'ol is good but finding a new 'artist' whose work we enjoy and can support is the best. (For me anyway). The two selections turned out to be big hits and Paul's record has reached across a generational divide who's favorite artist never included the Beatles.

Kisses on the Bottom is a 'timeless' recording of premium quality. Highly recommended.

Daytripn and Mkirk like this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Not my cup of tea

25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Can not stand this record. On the other hand, it would be cool as hell to walk into a piano bar late one night and there's Paul singing all these oldies. That would be something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.