POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Run Devil Run" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutely love it, more than essential, one of the best of his entire career!

She Said Yeah is just absolutely primal rock and roll - wish he would perform it right now!
    What It Is - McCartney at his blues rocking best.
    Shake A Hand - One of the absolute best vocal performances of McCartney's entire career!
    Party - Elvis wished he could rock this hard, another that I wish McCartney was performing right now!

I also absolutely love the Russian album!

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

One of his best works. A good counterargument to those that think Paul can't rock. Great band. Not just Gilmour but also Ian Paice on the drums, Deep Purple's secret weapon.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think it's great.

How's that for an insightful post ? :D

Dr. Pepper, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  4. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I guess I'm one of the few that prefer Choba to this. That's why I voted "Not bad" for this album.

5. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

He's playing how he should be playing on here.
    Covers or not, this is one of his best.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

With Twin Freaks my favourite McC album from the last 25 years.

7. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It's a fun album and I get into it when I did it out... I do kick myself over seeing the singles box in the record shop that day soon after it was realsed and thinking, 'Oh - that's nice.' :rolleyes: But I try not to let that tarnish my view of it. :p Yep I enjoy it quite a bit and went for option 2.

8. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Some of the covers are really brilliant. "Fabulous" is...uh...fabulous.

9. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

An OK album, IMO much better than "Driving Rain" or "New". Pretty good lineup of great musicians including David Gilmour an Ian Paice. Pure and unspoiled rock'n roll - love it!

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if it can get a few more ratings - it's the only one of the 25 polls that doesn't have 200 votes now (CCCP finally exceeded 200), and I'd like it to get there!

Btw, I mentioned in another thread that in addition to the one released outtake from these sessions (Fabulous), there's also several other known outakes that were mentioned at the time: Ready Teddy, Thumbin' A Ride, Fools Like Me, We're Gonna Move (aka There's A Leak) and possibly a few others (Rip It Up, Oh My Soul).

Like it's "sister" oldies album - CHOBA - a lot of outtakes exist from that. "I'm In Love Again" got added to the cd version. "It's Now Or Never" and the McCartney original "I Wanna Cry" found release on cd-singles, and five other songs have been partially booted, so we know they exist ("Cut Across Shorty", "Poor Boy", "Lend Me Your Comb", "Take This Hammer" and a very different version of "No Other Baby"). Maybe Paul should combine the outtakes and release a 3rd album of oldies!

linclink, Captain Groovy and theMess like this.
  11. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

We can only hope!

Just added my vote - I somehow missed this poll the first time around. Absolutely essential McCartney. I could listen to him do covers of this stuff all day every day: channeling the rock'n'roll-mad days of his youth, screaming and crooning away in his bedroom on Forthlin Rd or from the stage in Hamburg. While I love CHOBA and absolutely played it to death when it was released, Run is an absolute adrenaline-filled rush in comparison.

Love love love love love it! And if I thought he still had the voice for it (or wouldn't end up shredding his vocal chords trying), I'd be thrilled to death if he'd "complete the trilogy".

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I think both of the Oldies albums have their mis-steps. My RDR gripes: I think "Coquette" is the worst recording on either oldies disc. I also don't care for the accordion (or whatever it is) on Brown Eyed Handsome Man (perhaps the horror of the video never left my mind, too), or the corny (to me) Movie Magg. I think Try Not To Cry is one of Paul's lamest attempts to write a "hit" in recent memory and I find "Shake A Hand" to be more than a little too "strained". The rest of the album is almost all A+ material for me.

For CHOBA, I find "I'm Gonna Be A Wheel" dreadfully repetitive and "Bring It On Home To Me" a bit flat - lacking in energy. "Crackin' Up" is also not very strong. But I love the throat-shredding returns to "Lucille" and "Kansas City", the bluesy exploration of "Summertime" (and album outtake "I Wanna Cry" - a McCartney BLUES SONG! Ain't many of those!), the bouncy Presley covers and so on.

I am thankful Paul opted to not release the '88 version of "No Other Baby" - the latter version clearly smokes it!

13. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Heh - it's all opinions as they say as the songs you don't care for are among my favorites! As I love those songs so much anyway - nevermind the guys who originally performed them (Bo Diddley! The Fat Man!! Carl Perkins! Chuck Berry!) - hearing Paul cover them (when it would most likely have been John or George doing so during the Fabs) made it a treat for me.

I'm somewhat with you on Try Not To Cry but I'd put it in the Not Such A Bad Boy category - not the strongest of songs but an excuse to get loud and rock out, which I'm always happy for him to do and wish he'd (still) do more often, to be honest.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I like the idea of "Run Devil Run" more than I like listening to it. I was very excited when I heard about the project, and even more excited when I saw the song titles on the CD cover. But from my first listen on, I have never enjoyed listening to it as much as I had expected. To me, it is too tense, not in a groove. They didn't quite nail it, in my humble opinion.

Chuckee likes this.
  15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I love it, but I've already voted. :D

16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Pretty much how I feel.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Pretty solid effort. I think Paul rocks hard on this, and sounds like he was back in the Cavern/Hamburg days!

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

They absolutely nailed it!

19. Plexiclone

Plexiclone Forum Resident

Love this album. I turned a few friends, who aren't Macca fans one way or the other, onto it and they were surprised at how good the album is. Ian Paice is amazing. Fun listening to Gilmour rip it up. I hope Macca does another album in this vein.

kennyluc1 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  20. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

This thread has persuaded me to buy this CD. Hoping it's better than CHOBA B CCCP.

21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

A pretty solid effort - worth recommending, I would say. There's only one artist I can think of who might do 50s rock & roll and rockabilly better and that's Brian Setzer. They should do an album together, a rockabilly trio with Paul McCartney on bass/upright bass and vocals, Brian Setzer on guitar and vocals, and rockabilly drummer Bernie Dressel on drums. It will never happen...

22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Not a bad song on this album and Paul's vocals are in tip top shape here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.