Poll: Rate Chicago’s “Feelin’ Stronger Every Day”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

I’ve always loved this song, and I’m not that much of a Chicago fan. It might be my favorite rock song with brass, or should I call it pop-rock? I might like “5:15” by The Who better as rock with kickass brass. Anyway, killer tune by Chicago.

The Allmusic.com review:

The funky Peter Cetera (bass/vocals) and James Pankow (trombone) ballad “Feelin' Stronger Every Day” is one of two Top Ten a-sides from Chicago VI (1973). The tune perfectly captures the fresh pop sound that made Chicago’s mid 1970s material so divergent from their early hard rocking sides and their post Terry Kath (guitar) middle-of-the-road Adult Contemporary hits. Robert Lamm (keyboards) and Danny Seraphine (drums) prominently drive the melody during the opening verses and then take a back seat as Kath and the dynamic three-piece horn section of Pankow, Lee Loughnane (trumpet) and Walter Parazaider (woodwinds) kick into overdrive during the song’s double-time conclusion. This is a similar effect to what the band would accomplish with the chart-topping “Hard To Say I’m Sorry”/“Get Away” from Chicago 16 (1982). In a 1991 interview, Cetera told this reviewer that the lyrics deal with “both healing and moving on after the end of a relationship.” Although far from sombre, the more staid opening section is also a musical contrast to the freedom and abandon of the ending. “Feelin' Stronger Every Day” quickly worked its way into the live repertoire and is included on their Chicago XXVI - The Live Album (199) -- which accurately represents their post-Kath sound. Although the side became an unabashed classic, it has yet to be covered by a major label artist -- which is, to say the least, unusual.

2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

I love the song ! takes me back to bein' a kid in the 70s .... seemed like Chicago was ever present .

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Great song. Hooky. Inspirational, lively and life affirming. Good singin' and good playin'. What's not to love?

4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I listened to Beginnings three times in a row today. I like most of the hits in the Kath era.

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

6. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

That amazing coda could be four times as long as far as I'm concerned. When I heard the last 1:30 of REM's "It Happened Today", this was the first song I thought of.

7. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

The Best thing to happen to you is
    The best thing that happened to me

8. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

4/5

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

How is this a ballad,it's a straight up Rocker especially when it goes into the double time feel.

EdgardV, limoges, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Can’t stand Cetera’s whiny nasal voice. He ruined Chicago and he ruined FM radio in the 80s. A bad man!

mr. steak likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What's not to love?
    What's not to love?
    What's not to love?
    What's not to love?
    What's not to love?
    What's not to love?
    What's not to love-love-love?

(In other words, I just can't help wondering how much more time radio could have made for a better Chicago song, if they'v only faded this one down three minutes sooner...)

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

One of my absolute favorites by them.
    Their last gasp as far as I’m concerned. The second half of the song after the piano breakdown is magic to me.

Octavian and wavethatflag like this.
  13. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

I love the funky electric piano.

EdgardV, longdist01 and wavethatflag like this.
  14. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I feel that way about Michael McDonald. :shh: I'm not a Cetera fan either but until Kath died, I could deal with him fine. I really like Dialog parts 1 and 2 for example. Once he became THE ballads man afterward, not so much. :agree:

EdgardV, redsock, Rock66 and 2 others like this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Have you seen the Netflix documentary ' Chicago Now More Than Ever '? Check it out.

16. wavethatflag

Yeah, the keys are so key. Kath gives it a lot of rhythm support, but does take a back seat to the horns, keys, etc.

17. wavethatflag

Yeah, the allmusic review I think gets it wrong on that point and also its notion that Terry Kath is part of the lead somehow. He’s providing substantial backup, but to me this song is about the keys, the horns and Cetera’s vocal.

EdgardV, jwjeffrey and longdist01 like this.
  18. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Great song! Peter Cetera is perfect.

19. wavethatflag

Along this line, when Cetera went solo, well, not a fan.

AKA-Chuck G and Johnny Action like this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great song. One of my favorites from them.

longdist01 and wavethatflag like this.
  21. smith6552

smith6552 trust the process, not the internet

I love early Chicago up to Hot Streets (song). The Cetera hits kept me from listening for far too long. Glad I wised up.

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

totally agree.....the outro is more than ridiculously long........when i burn this on a chicago comp, i fade it out about 2 minutes early. boringly repetitive and totally unnecessary.

23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Great song.

wavethatflag and longdist01 like this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Love this song. Love it when the pace picks up near the end before the titular line is sang numerous times. Great songwriting.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

One of my favorite Chicago tracks. Great song!

wavethatflag and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.