Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Bought about 30 CD's in the last month. My CD collection is still waaay less than my LP collection.

Papi Hipbone323 and alan967tiger like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

All CDs (maybe 0.0001% Lossless downloads).

No interest in vinyl.

EG.

alan967tiger likes this.
  3. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

My latest purchases arrived today:
    [​IMG]

4. George P

George P Notable Member

James are great!!

alan967tiger likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wherever whenever i can.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Once a year, or whenever The Beatles decide to re-release their music....

You'd think I would just buy the digital HD source since it's going directly into my iTunes

7. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Still buying CD's regularly both new and used.

8. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I still buy CDs but vinyl and high res downloads are my formats of choice.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

I have just started enjoying 2 channel and have put a lot of $$ in my vinyl chain. I must stay away.... :doh:

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

A like for the cat in your avatar :D

EG.

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I buy both. Love records but they can’t compete with the CD when it comes to archive dig reissues.

alan967tiger likes this.
  12. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Im spending $$$ on discs, but mostly SACD, DVDA, Bluray

CDs bought recently are used, with this Coronavirus almost everything is purchased online, hardly ever go out.
    Miss browsing an occasional fleamarket, goodwill, etc

alan967tiger likes this.
  13. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

I dont buy cd's.

But I do like to have the digital files of albums I want, and wish all vinyl would come with download codes for the digital files already. I feel like today, where artist/bands dont make money off of their actual tangible copies of music, aside from sales of personal copies at shows, or off of their website, or bandcamps, it should be an industry standard. Some labels do this with every release, some not at all.

If im purchasing a physical format of an album, it is vinyl, here and there, ill buy a cassette. If im listening to digital, i prefer to play the digital files right from the computer as opposed to loading a cd into a cd player. I suppose it makes more sense to own the CD form, as it would cost just as much to buy the digital album online anyhow. I dont know if I understand why people would spend money on high end cd players as opposed to loading the album onto their computer to indefinitely play from there.. Is there a large variance in audio quality through hi end cd players vs going from lap top through dac? I wouldnt think so.

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I stopped buying CDs when used records were still dirt cheap and new ones came with download cards circa 2013. But now that used records are expensive and new ones rarely come with download cards I am back to buying more CDs.

15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Not with great frequency but when that's the only way to get an album I want, I will. I do still buy the occasional SACD when the mood strikes me.

16. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

If it's a physical format, I buy it. Even the odd song download from iTunes. I have many more CDs than LPs but for the most part, I don't feel like I actually "own" the album until I have it on LP. The only exception to that is if the album itself was/is a digital recording or DDD SPARS code. No sense in overpaying for an oversized CD. Oh yeah, exceptions, like Turbo from Priest do apply from time to time there. Glad to see that I am not alone!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Rarely, but sone stuff from the late 80’s through mid nineties was only released on CD so I’ve had too. Only if it’s unavailable streaming and never was available on vinyl.

18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I used to buy 200-300 CDs a year. Now it's a dozen or less. So, my answer is "no," because while I'm not opposed to getting a CD if the price is right or it's something I've been looking for that I don't already have, I don't regularly buy them. If I want a physical format, I've mostly switched to vinyl. But I don't always care about a physical format, either - streaming is just fine by me.

19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

My sales rate of cd players has increased quite a bit over the last year or two. Still not quite up to turntable sales for me, but getting closer.

Eigenvector and Audiowannabee like this.
  20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

As a classical guy I have been able to fill so many gaps in my collection with the reasonable CD boxes, will keep on till it dies.

Swann36 and George P like this.
  21. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Buying as many CDs as ever. The value for money is fantastic in my humble...

The upcoming Ultravox and Richard & Linda Thompson CD sets look to be excellent with regards to content/price.

Just my $0.02...

danielbravo likes this.
  22. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I buy CDs on occasion from trips to Half-Price Books or the local record shop. The CD player in my car gets a lot of use.

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

By "new records," do you mean new releases by current artists, or new pressings of old records? Because at least 80% of the new records I buy still come with download cards, so I'm wondering which don't.

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

New records. And while you can still find ones with cards, their definitely becoming less common. The latest by Tame Impala, Arcade Fire, and Sparks for instance don’t have them when their previous album did.

(Actually, forgot that there is a “new” new album by Tame Impala. Don’t know if that had a card or not. Another album that didn’t is last year’s Plague Vendor.)

25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

That Sparks record is the only one I've bought recently that came without. Part of it I think is that I tend to buy a lot of albums through Bandcamp, and an increasing number of acts just include a Bandcamp code on the download card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.