Poll: The Angry Young Men of 1978.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

Who do you love?

They all emerged at roughly the same time. They all emerged (more or less) out of the bar-band scene. They all came out of the UK. Each ended up as troubadours that transcended their original niche.

Not one of these talents was a "one hit wonder"; all still have thriving careers.

So, if push comes to shove-- which one do you love best? Is this comparison even fair?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

EC by a mile!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sorry, can't vote.

Angry Young Men bore me. A good song is a good song.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Joe for me. I find his stuff more accessible.

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

The updated Elvis! :)

6. markl

Can't necessarily argue with that as I love all 3 artists. But that doesn't mean they aren't at least somewhat related in theme, focus, origins or output. It's not just a coincidence they emerged all at the same time. One or the other must have left behind a trail of better songs (for you) than the rest.

I think most people would agree they were all plowing the same basic field circa '78. Yet, for some, one of these guys hit the bulls-eye more often than the rest.

7. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Elvis is the king

8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

That is the most impossible choice ever! I love Joe and I love Elvis. Too hard to choose. Both are brilliant, innovative, great songwriters, are constantly changing and evolving...impossible to decide!

9. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Elvis gets the nod. "Armed Forces" is my favorite by EC, but JJ's "Look Sharp" is a very close second. Don't know much by Graham Parker.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

As great as the debut albums for all three were, Graham Parker seemed to arrive the most fully formed with HOWLIN' WIND. And his SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS was also probably the most traditional hard rock any of the three released. You could play that record for your new wave allergic buddies without a peep.

11. I voted for Joe Jackson. I love Elvis, too, but Joe Jackson - well, he's "The Man".

12. Doonie

Doonie New Member

Johnny Rotten!

13. johnny 99

Joe's last studio release (with the original band) "Volume 4" and Elvis' last "rock" album "The Delivery Man" both show these artists in a latter day career high. (They've both much left to say I'm sure!) (We're just about due for some more Joe as it's been 4 (!) years)

14. Steve Hoffman

I don't think they all emerged at the same time but I do think that they were SIGNED by a record label around the same time. A&R men of that era were hip to a sure thing and this new punk stuff was it!

I love Elvis but by his second album he sounded like he was holding his nose when he sang and that bugged me. Still it was on a song by song basis for me, and still is, for any artist..

15. johnny 99

16. Steve Hoffman

You can try it:

Hold your nose closed. Now sing::

"Oh, I just don't know where to begiiiin.."

17. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Of that lot? Elvis Costello.
    But if the list included Peter Perrett...

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Other.

Was Warren Zevon "angry"?

Elvis Costello is one of those people I know I'm supposed to like, but I have never quite gotten him. The most positive category I can put him in is "songwriters best performed by others."

Plus Elvis' records always sounded like Krap.

19. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I liked Graham Parker quite a bit in the day, Joe Jackson...never really listened to him much (don't mean to say he's no good, haven't listened to anything of his for many years so I'm disqualified--oops, shouldn't have voted then), but EC..."This Year's Model" is still one of the best albums ever IMO.

Dale

20. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member

There's a place in the world for the angry young man... uuuuuuuuuuuuuh Billy Joel people!

But on topic, I dunno Costello I guess.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for that, Steve!:realmad: I just tried it and almost fell out of my chair laughing - you're right - but I'm a major EC fan - this revelation may have serious consequences on my future EC listening experiences...:eek:

22. Steve Hoffman

:) My work here is through.

23. markl

There he is. I knew there was some other person I forgot, and you've nailed him, darn it. Yes, another such artist from the same time who should have been included in the list.

Randy Newman is a well-known influence on Elvis Costello, but he's too soft an influence on the dudes we're talking about here.

24. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

All three put out some great stuff but if I have to pick one, I'll go with Joe Jackson.

25. race records

race records Forum Resident

Joe Jackson wins easily for me. Like an updated Elton for the times, he was very tuneful and easy to hum along to.

Never cared for this version of Elvis. David Lee Roth said it best at the time. "The reason critics like Elvis Costello is because they all look like him." :laugh: Angry young man? Boring young nerd to my ears. :thumbsdn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.