Poll--The Weakest Link: Cheap Trick DREAM POLICE, Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

The writing was on the wall for "Writing on the Wall".......and we know we didn't want Tom Petersson's singing. We're going 1 song the rest of the way. Vote your next weakest link.

Discussion question: When did you last listen to Dream Police, and has your opinion of it changed over time?

It was a long time comin'..................................

I Know What I Want (Round 1)
    Writing on the Wall (Round 1)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic

IMHO Need Your Love is plodding, overlong filler.

3. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

Need Your Love-It's 7 minutes long and doesn't really have anything too special for it's length.
    DQ: I last listened to it last night with my father and I liked it. We then listened to the first self-titled and that one's even better.

DME1061 and jeffd7030 like this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Just a week or two ago while I was working out. Loved it when it first came out and still love it now!

DME1061 likes this.
  5. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

..and that had already been released on At Budokan (I'm aware Dream Police had been held back), when there was so much better from that show that should have made the original live LP.

6. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

House Rockin'

It's been years but still a solid album.

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Went with House is Rockin this time even though last round I voted I'll Be With You

I don't know when I last played it but my opinion hasn't changed. It's great. Maybe not quite as genius as the first three but still great.

DME1061 likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The House Is Rockin'....

I would have probably listened to it in the last 12 months.
    My love for this album only grew... when my sister had it, I was a bit cynical, but I grew to really love this album.
    Writing on the wall is a great rocker, sad to see its first round dismissal.
    Interesting the dislike for Need Your Love, always a favourite for me, on here or Budokan

DME1061 likes this.
  9. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Why is Gonna Raise Hell still here, and why is hardly anyone voting for it? Has to be one of the biggest wastes of half a side of vinyl since R9.

agentalbert and jeffd7030 like this.
  10. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Why? Well obviously the answer is more people participating in this thread view that song differently than you - myself included.

Crungy, DME1061, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

and I, just the eight string bass is enough to keep me in that groove.

psulioninks likes this.
  12. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Took the words out of my mouth. When I bought this album as a teenager, my thought was that they just needed to fill up the side. The tune itself is OK, but not seven minutes of it.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  13. LandHorses

I love “Need Your Love.” I think it’s great live, and I love the long outro.

14. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

"Need Your Love" is in my top 3 Cheap Trick songs of all time. Not that anyone cares. :cop:

15. Gonna raise Hell

Was playing my SG alongside the album a couple of weeks ago, the Guitar solos in Need your love are super easy to play and most importantly fun!

jeffd7030 likes this.
  16. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I vote for Gonna Raise Hell again.

Too bad, I must be the only one who likes I Know What I Want.

Last listened to the album yesterday with my teenage son, in preparation for the poll. I have always ranked this my 4th favorite CT album.

17. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

House is Rockin'

DQ: I got Apple Music recently and figured I needed a Cheap Trick playlist. So, I reacquainted myself with Dream Police about a month ago.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Discussion: recently played it again as a refresher for this WL.

Still think it's a decent album but not a great one. As I said in R1, I admit I'm more of a hits/Budokan CT fan.

I own the 1st 4 studio albums and think they're perfectly fine, but I reach for Budokan more!

19. "Need Your Love" doesn't add anything which was already on At Budokan. I like the songs already voted off much, much better.

Prior to today's spin, I listened to it twice in 2020. Still, I think it a great album.

*edit: listening to "Need Your Love" right now, & I retract my comment about it not adding anything from the live version. It's still my weak link though.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  20. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

House Is Rockin has got to go. But this album is crazy awesome. It's gonna be tough from here on out.

DME1061 likes this.
  21. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

House is Rockin

Missed the 1st Round. Need Your Love is one of my favorite Cheap Trick songs of all time. Also love I Know What I Want.

Listened to this a couple of months ago. Still in my top 5 Trick albums....can fall anywhere in that range at any given time depending on my mood. I was dying for this to be released at the time knowing that they had this in the can ready to go but held up due to Budokan's success.

primejive and linklinc like this.
  22. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I do..... great song and always a treat to hear it live. :righton:

23. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I no longer have a copy of the LP [and I got Tom Peterson to sign it during the "Woke Up With A Monster" tour] but Discogs sez' that "Gonna Raise Hell" is not a svelte seven minutes but 9:18! Ouch. If I were voting on this, that would have been the first cut. But since I no longer have the album, I can't really vote. It's been 40 years since I heard it, in any case!

24. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

DQ. Been a while. Stick with 1st&2 albums these days.

25. LandHorses

DQ: Not counting a few times to get ready for this, I get to it a couple times a year. Some of the songs are also in my iPod Nano (yes, I live in the Stone Age). It’s grown on me over time……among my favorite CT albums.

DME1061 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.