Poll--The Weakest Link: Dire Straits DIRE STRAITS (1st album), Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Nov 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

It ain't what they call Rock and Roll....................
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone. This week, we're going to run Dire Straits' 1978 debut album. This was an album good enough to help them pay their rent. We're going to start off voting off two songs. Vote your first two weakest links.

Discussion question: When did you first hear this album, and what was your initial opinion of it?

mark winstanley and Tim 2 like this.
  2. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I first heard it when released. My opinion was that it was a Springsteen rip off without piano. I liked it though.

3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

"Setting" and "Southbound" to go.
    Can't recall when I first heard the album (probably college in the mid 80s), but I remember being enthralled when I heard "Sultans" on the radio when it hit in '78.

gregorya and MetalGuruMessiah like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's a tremendous album, that's for sure. Not going to be easy to whittle it down. Might go with the last two tracks - Wild West End & Lions. Still good songs though.

I remember enjoying a lot of Dire Straits singles back in the day but it was the late Eighties, I think, before I heard an album. I started with Love Over Gold, moved forward to Brothers In Arms and then eventually made my way to the debut via Making Movies, all courtesy of my local record library. My first thoughts were that it lacked the dynamism of MM, the melodrama of LOG and the pop melodies of BIA. Obviously, it grew on me eventually. :)

stefane and NunoBento like this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

What an impressively solid album. Being born in 85, I've been familiar with DS and the hits all my life, but the first time I got to hear the whole thing might have been around 2006 when I was digging deeper on DS discography. I thought it was incredibly solid albeit a bit samey, which I still do. I'm a Love Over Gold man, but the S/T comes right behind.

Oh and I chose Southbound and Setting Me Up, but the album is so solid that I really could chose almost anything else - Except for the opener and Sultans which are a tad above the rest.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    stefane and carlwm like this.
  6. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I don’t remember the first time I heard Dire Straits but I would guess it would have been around the beginning of my senior year of high school. I definitely liked “Sultans of Swing” by that point but I don’t think I liked the album the first time. The other songs didn’t make that much of an impression on me initially.

7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My first impression of the album back when I was a teenager was "this is a little bit boring".
    Later I liked it more

8. First heard on 8track and thought it was very fresh. I don't get the Springsteen comparisons. So unique and accomplished to come from out of nowhere. Very difficult to eliminate any.

9. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I owned this album not too long after it came out but didn't hear it immediately.

My wife bought me the CD as a present but it was the very first CD I ever owned and ... I didn't have a machine to play it on!

I think it was her way of saying that I had her blessing to go out and buy a CD player.

I've always thought it was a nice album but not a classic. I'm going to take the time to listen to the lyrics more closely because there are often hidden gems in there.

10. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Voted off Southbound again and Setting Me Up.

Bought it when it came out, like a breath of fresh air. In hindsight Knopfler was trying to sound to much like Dylan and Springsteen. He didn't really find his voice until On Every Street album.

11. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

"Southbound Again" and "Setting Me Up" to go in round 1.

First heard the album in the mid-eighties.
    Liked it immediately: a stripped down, spare and minimalist sound, mixed with a fine dose of melancholy, very low-key overall, slightly dipping into jazz and country.
    This sound was still prevalent on "Communiqué", although not as laid-back as on "Dire Straits". With the addition of keyboards and the more prominent role that these keyboards started playing on "Making Movies", the Dire Straits had lost their magic for me.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

15 years ago? Whenever I started to become a target CD collector and grabbed a copy of that pressing.

I already owned a few other DS albums previously - "Love Over Gold", "BIA" and "Alchemy" - and liked them, so I don't know why I didn't get the debut earlier.

I enjoyed it, but apparently not enough to be intimately acquainted with it, as I didn't recognize like half of these songs just based on titles! :help:

13. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Setting and Southbound for me. Kinda surprised to see so may votes for Lions, which for me is a fantastic song.:confused:

jeff

14. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

No really weak links here, but I picked "Lions" and "Southbound Again".

I think bought the LP when I was a senior in high school, circa 1985. Liked it, but mainly for "Sultans". Didn't appreciate its full awesomeness for a few years.

15. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

Lions and Southbound. This is my least favorite DS album and these are the bottom of the bottom in my opinion.

16. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Lions and Setting Me Up I votes

rancher likes this.
  17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Great album. First heard it back in the early '80s and have always loved it. Probably my favourite of theirs, although all of their albums are different.

Hardly a weak link, but voting off: Lions and Water of Love.

18. LandHorses

“Setting” and “Southbound”........both sound a little too similar. I suppose I’m surprised at “Lions”.......really like it.

DQ: I knew the hit song from top 40 radio in 1979, liked it, but left it there. I didn’t really start buying any of their albums until CDs in the 80s. I liked this album right away......”Wild West End” in particular.

19. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

With the others here....Setting Me Up and Southbound are first to go.

20. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Springsteen, really? Some of these songs sound just like JJ Cale. But luckily the guitar work blows all the others out of the water. Eight people voted to eliminate In The Gallery which is the best song on the album, imo.

21. Ed the Dog

Ed the Dog Forum Resident

When I first heard them on the radio, I thought the name of the band was Sultans of Swing. Bought it pretty soon after, and I still play it a lot. I remember the CD's version of Sultans cut down the outro solo. Boo. I find my self responding to "How's it going?" with "I got a daytime job. I'm doing alright."

Greasy greasy hair, greasy smile, she made me feel nineteen for awhile.

22. LandHorses

I do feel Springsteen influence on side 1 of Making Movies.......”Tunnel of Love” and “Romeo & Juliet.” Never thought of him on this album.

NunoBento likes this.
  23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Maybe that's why Making Movies never did much for me? Although I do like Skateaway.

24. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Blimey, I can’t see the Springsteen comparison at all..... But that’s what great about music isn’t it, everyone hears and feels it differently

I probably only got the album in the 90’s when I was in my 20’s, but I was always aware of Sultans Of Swing since it first came out..... Even as a little one i enjoyed that tune.

NunoBento likes this.
  25. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Lions, West. Like a breath of fresh air when it came out. Has aged well, IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.