Poll: What song written since 1/1/2000 will be remembered fondly & covered in 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jdarby, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdarby

jdarby New Member Thread Starter

In other words, is there a "Yesterday" out there today?

Also, what current young jazz artists will achieve the status of Miles in 20+ years?

How about classical? Are there ANY Beethovens or Mozarts out there today?

Yes, this polll is really about the status of music in the USA (or the world) today. Has there ever been a 50+ year old that thought the teen generation's music was anything other than garbage?

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

There is only one "Yesterday," but to answer the question in the subject line....

So far, "I Hope You Dance" is the hit song released since 1/1/2000 most likely to become a "standard."

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Very tough question about the songs. Although there have been a ton of wonderful songs surfacing in the first couple of years of this century, for one to become a 'standard', it most likely has to strike a chord with a mass audience, be artistically/aesthetically strong, and have been performed in a durable manner or style to resist dating. I tried looking at some pop charts really quickly and am not doing too well. Something like U2's 'Walk On' would seem to fit the bill on paper (especially with its connection to 9/11), but still doesn't sound like something that will be covered twenty years from now. Similarly, some of the most highly regarded and successful singles by an artist like Eminem ('Stan' or 'Lose Yourself') are way too idiosyncratic (and/or get swallowed up by people's impression of the artist personally) to transend their time and place. Unfortunately, with music having become so categorized, it seems rarer to find that right marriage of art and popularity...hopefully there will be some good responses to your questions. I definitely have to put more thought into it...

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The songs released since 1/1/2000 will fondly be remembered by the younger generation and others who listened to the music. Simple.

I also think the complimentary practice of sampling has largely replaced the of "covering" a song.

Times, people, and music have changed.

5. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Re: Re: Poll: What song written since 1/1/2000 will be remembered fondly & covered in

Why do you say that Tim ? - I've never heard it and it looks like when it charted in the UK it reached number 40.

All the best - Andrew

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

"New Miles"

Re: A "new" Miles Davis. Judging from jazz since his death, I kinda doubt it, although, as pointed out in some of the "song" entries, jazz has changed as well. If history is any judge, many will be compared but none will attain his level.

7. tim_neely

Re: Re: Re: Poll: What song written since 1/1/2000 will be remembered fondly & covered in

Of course, "Yesterday" didn't chart at all in the UK originally, because it wasn't a single there until 1976.

On "I Hope You Dance": Huge crossover hit in America (#1 country, #14 Hot 100, #1 Adult Contemporary). Country enough for the purists, pop enough for the country-haters, and interesting for someone like myself who can't stand gooey love songs and preening divas. The song has been turned into a mini-book that is sold in bookstores (one of those tiny, overpriced stocking-stuffer books that I've been tempted to get because it has a CD inside with an otherwise unavailable acoustic version of the song). And even though it will forever be associated with Lee Ann Womack, perhaps to the long-term detriment of her career (the "Can you top this?" syndrome), I can imagine others doing it in different styles. I believe that in 2020 people will still be listening to and recording "I Hope You Dance," and it will have transcended the time when it first became popular.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

By 2020 Naugas will have inherited the earth. There will be no more music, there will be no more Rock'n'Roll....They will have devoured all the gold discs, and the boom boxes will be silent. Alas! :( :rolleyes: :D

ED:cool:

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Gary will be the only human left alive, and even he is part nauga.......

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

.......... and all the stereos, hard-to-fing gold discs, tweaked listening rooms and recording studios will be mine, too..........

Heaven on earth. :D

Just to save me some time (since travelling to all your places will be a pain!) please send me all your Steve Hoffman mastered discs now. Just PM me and I'll give you my address.

We'll talk stereos later. :cool:

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think the jazz artist who will still be recording, talked about, and collected twenty years from now will be James Carter, the saxophone phenom currently signed to Atlantic. His chops and fearlessness should result in quite a catalog. For example, he recorded a tribute album to Django Reinhardt on, along with his trusted tenor, bass and mezzo saxophone, exactly the horns you wouldn't think to use for emulating a guitarist's fleet-fingered runs.

However, I don't think anyone will attain the stature of Miles Davis (or Charlie Parker or John Coltrane, etc.), only because "it's been done." Certainly Wayne Shorter, Cecil Taylor, Sonny Rollinsand Ornette Coleman will be discussed in twenty years, although all four could have stopped recording twenty and even thirty years ago and still been part of the tradition. Maybe John Zorn?

For rock artists, I think Lucinda Williams's music will endure, partly because she's a great songwriter who works very hard to be plainspoken, and because her instrumentation is traditional roots-based singer-songwriter rock. Her major label output of five albums is spread out over twenty years or so, and you'd only know the chronology by checking the liner notes.

12. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: What song written since 1/1/2000 will be remembered fondly & covered in

The sad thing is...I've never heard of this song before.

Unless it's played on our public radio station (WRKF) or or local college station (KLSU), I may never hear it. I stopped listening to commercial radio back in high school - that was when my high school's radio station (WBRH) still played the rock show from 3pm to midnight (they stopped that and went all "smooth jazz" by the time I was out of college).

Joel

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I Hope You Dance is definitely one of the best "singles" to have been released in this current decade.

14. tim_neely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: What song written since 1/1/2000 will be remembered fondly & covered i

This is one of the problems in trying to define a song to fit the question. Radio today is so fragmented that a huge hit in one genre might never get played by other radio stations because it doesn't fit the format. Though that has always been true to an extent, today you have a seeminly infinite number of formats. Where I live, I'm fortunate if I ever hear most of the songs that make the top 10 on the Hot 100, even with 12 presets on my car radio! A few years ago, a record called "Tha Crossroads" by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony got to #1 on the Hot 100 -- and to this day, I STILL have never heard the song on the radio! So unless something is a pervasive novelty that ends up being both loved AND hated ("Macarena," anyone?), you don't get songs that everyone hears, even if they are massive hits according to the charts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.