Poll: Which version of Sandoval's updated Monkees book are you purchasing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Mc, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I didn't find out about these books till July. So my name is on a waiting list if a book becomes available. If i lose out, i'm not gonna resort to ebay for a high priced one. I'll just be content with my old day by day book from 2005.

2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Seems like I have seen that all books are still available for purchase on the Beatland Books website. They even seem to have a payment plan. You should go check it out.

t-man 54 and D-rock like this.
  3. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I did that ( I ordered the super deluxe ) but was still put on a waiting list and was sent an email saying that if one became available, then I would be notified. As of today, I have still not been notified.

BobT likes this.
  4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Andrew sent me some great news on Twitter today!
    Andrew Sandoval

@cometothesun

·
    8m

Books are arriving at shipping house today!
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Bob T

· Sep 7
    @cometothesun Hi Andrew, Any update on the book's shipping container? Last I heard it was awaiting docking a couple of weeks ago...

5. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Posted on Facebook today.
    Sorry to ask again but when should we start getting the Monkees Book delivered Andrew Sandoval ?
    • Andrew Sandoval
      We will likely ship all books next week. They are due in Thursday

6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

:goodie::pineapple::edthumbs:

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thanks for sharing and posting that @BobT

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I know we are all anxiously awaiting any news, and when it is posted to social media only, I want to make sure all of our non-social Hoffmanites :uhhuh: get the news.

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

From Andrew on Facebook...
    Books haven’t left depot due to “congestion”. I am flying home Monday to be on hand for their arrival. They are due to ship next week. The delays have been frustrating and expensive. I apologize from the bottom of my heart, though this aspect is completely out of my control.

10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

More from Andrew:
    I flew home last week to greet them on my day off and was only informed upon my arrival that they wouldn't be coming and were rescheduled for Monday. So taking another detour off the tour in hopes they will arrive at last.

11. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I feel bad for Andrew. Tough time to be selling and shipping books.

12. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

From Facebook:
    As time is of the essence, I will share the latest book shipping update here and now (it will also be blasted to all the buyers ASAP - though I know a few of you are still having trouble with our emails).

Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?

Well, I promised to write you from the road and here I am, eight miles high, in flight to Burbank. I have left the Monkees’ tour for a few days to take care of Beatland Books business. After several false flags, I was told your books would be arriving today at the shipper (hence my leaving the Monkees for a day or two) and as my flight was delayed, so I have found the books are too.

As the plane took off, I shot out a very quick email wondering if there would be no end to these delays. The customs broker has now said a trucker would try and pull the Beatland container tonight for delivery in the morning. If everyone can just cross their fingers and toes, maybe our wait will be over.

Seriously though, I am starting to take these delays very personally and honestly feel a bit down about this uncertain process. However, the books are done and ready to go as soon as I can get my hands on the finished product. I have been told by my printer and the fulfillment house that this is just how things are right now. Their other clients are having terrible delays, but the trust all of you have all placed in me to deliver is something I think of every day. Many have written me privately to say they are okay with waiting, but I am just so ready to fulfill my end of the bargain.

The Monkees On Tour

This is the 21st Monkees Tour since 1966 and my 8th as their show producer & manager. Micky has been on all 21 tours and Michael has been on 10. The dates the Monkees are doing now are a mixture of shows scheduled in 2019 and newer ones. With the rise of the Delta variant, our plans have been fluid. Getting over the tremendous anxiety of rehearsals to being in contact with large crowds for the first time in two years has been overwhelming.

My job for the Monkees is currently a 24-hour-a-day affair. Michael is an early riser, so a call may come from him at 7am with a question or a personal dilemma. Meanwhile, Micky is a late riser and has trouble sleeping, so he may want to talk down show order or setlist concerns up to about 2am. And in between we usually ride to the next town directly overnight. So, I may be up at 4am handing out hotel keys as our buses arrive. My right-hand man for many of these tours, Dan Mapp, is an excellent tour manager and has a lot of personal experience with the Monkees. I have learned from him never to freak out over all the many bumps we encounter. We must consider all possibilities of helping our friends do their best on and offstage.

When I wrote the original Monkees book 16 years ago, I had touring experience as a member of Dave Davies’ band (I was rhythm guitarist and backing vocalist). Still, the last ten years of touring with the Monkees has given me a deeper insight into their characters and informed me of the depth of their artistry. Now when I describe a song or session, it might very well be one I know every fiber of – from hearing the raw session tape to actually going through it chord by chord with the Monkees. This most recent tour even has me acting in the role of scratch vocalist, singing leads for the band or with Micky & Michael to work off of during soundcheck and rehearsals.

Yesterday, we were at a circular theatre (like the one in Head) and got into a discussion of the chords of “Papa Gene’s Blues” with Michael. His son, Christian, wondered if it was a Bm or B7 in the turnarounds. Michael explained it was a passing Bm and we corrected our charts. A similar thing happened years ago with “Listen To The Band.” Peter Tork was flummoxed that he’d been playing the wrong chords for several decades (in Nesmith’s absence).

The tide is turning and the shows are getting better and better as much of the rust from lockdown has been shaken off. And we are constantly trying to refine what we are doing. Michael hasn’t been playing guitar so far and is less mobile, but he is starting to stand up more and being on the road has given him a spring to his increasing steps.

The other night he told the audience in San Jose, “These concerts are life giving.” I think he was speaking for so many of us. His spirit is so different now that he made it out his front door. His performances of “While I Cry” are becoming a very special part of the shows. There is really something more personal and intense about the performances overall on this final Monkees tour.

I think it is clear to the audiences that more than anything we are all doing this tour because we want to. Our window is this window and this is a final wave goodbye. Last night onstage, Michael clasped his hands together in prayer as Micky sang “As We Go Along.” It was really a spiritual moment for a group of unlikely friends brought together in a surreal setting. The cyclical theme of Head and the Monkees’ quest to escape may have found an ending. They are at peace with what they created and the roles they played and the music they made.

On a more mundane note, because of motion sickness concerns, I had to help move the venue’s rotating stage by hand every four songs. Most days I am not heads in the cloud or soaking in the sights. I am usually figuring out placement of items onstage, what time Michael & Micky go on, booking air travel or collecting money for their business manager. It is a point of pride for me to look out for them. And suffice to say: the same guy who turns the stage for the fans will also make sure you get your books, no matter what. Thank you for your love and support as we near the conclusion of this remarkable story.

- Andrew Sandoval

13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

As the saying goes, "You just can't get good help these days." Not Andrew's fault. He appears to be a good guy and a straight-shooter. Obviously, no point in complaining for those of us who've already laid their money down. We get it when we get it.

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

From Andrew Sandoval:

...and the books are in!

[​IMG]

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Right. Going into this I expected delays. If someone doesn't expect delays on big products put out by small teams, you obviously weren't around the past year and a half. It was bound to happen.

16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I think everyone gave the poor guy PTSD after the posts here, attacks on FB, complaints about the Blu-ray, constantly complaining about the SDEs and now complaining about the tour. No wonder he's in therapy. God Bless him.

cwitt1980, JoeRockhead and factory44 like this.
  17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I don't know. There have been hundreds of very positive posts on Facebook lifting Andrew up. Many of us truly love the guy for what he has done for us over the years! I know he reads all of them- I hope he knows we really mean it.

Sammy Banderas, bmanley63 and D-rock like this.
  18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Wonder what the total number of books they'll be shipping out?

20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Didn't he say around 2,000 were printed? He has said he has a handful of unsold, so I am guessing somewhere close to 2,000 will be shipping.

Sammy Banderas, dangiedr and D-rock like this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I hope they sold very well for him. I got the SDE and then the Paperback version.
    $300.00 but it'll be worth it. I still think all the SDEs and blu-ray set was worth the prices.

JuanTCB, Don Lucho, Brian Mc and 8 others like this.
  22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

So, it looks like Andrew has been able to unbox and distribute to his contributors. I guess they really might start shipping to us today! BTW, she got book#5

Allison J. Boron

@ajoboaugogo
    · 7h
    Andrew Sandoval just swung by and left a special delivery on my porch - THE PRECIOUS. Seriously, it was one of the great honors of my life to work on this masterpiece, and I'm so excited for everyone to get their copies! Thank you, @cometothesun - thank you, @TheMonkees! [​IMG]

23. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For those of you who don't follow Andrew on Twitter...
    Andrew Sandoval

@cometothesun

·
    7m

No need for promo, book is just about sold through. Will be moving on to my next exciting book project!
    Quote Tweet

· 1h
    Replying to @cometothesun and @TheMonkees
    Will you be promoting your book once the tour wraps up? You deserve a raise in salary.

24. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Has anyone who purchased actually seen a shipment notice as yet? I checked my Beatland order confirmation and it said we would be notified again when it shipped.

25. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Nope, not yet. My theory is the shipment center is getting all boxes prepped and will ship all at the same time. So, we should see shipping notices by Monday latest.

D-rock and MagneticNorthpaw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.