POLL: Your favorite current music magazine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I love reading the articles (on line) on bandcamp. Sure, not as much content as a print ‘zine or even R.Stone on line, but the links to the music they discuss are a huge bonus. And they open my ears to new sounds, man. And no ads either. Groovy stuff.

aussievinyl likes this.
  2. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

It was good. But here's the mag I really miss:

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris, Fifth-Chord and Mr. D like this.
  3. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

It used to be MOJO, now more likely to be UNCUT, in a weird way. A newsagent near me takes the front cover off and sells the magazines for $2 each, which is not quite kosher, if they're getting the credits for 'returns' (which means they send the cover back to the supplier, maybe for credit).
    Proof that you can have your cake and eat it too. Like others have said, this place keeps me up to date, as does the AllMusic site, when they send the 'New Releases' email.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Goldmine!

clhboa likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YES! and I also miss ICE MAGAZINE! I have every issue in my files...did they ever digitize the issues?

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I voted Mojo as I still buy it although I keep thinking about giving it up. I don't keep them though.

The Wire (which I've bought since issue 1 and still have all of them) is far more relevant to where I am currently at in my listening

Worker likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't buy any on the list.

I like rock magazines so I get Classic Rock, Prog, Fireworks, Planet Rock and Rock Candy.

Rock & Reel covers my folk/country tastes.

zphage likes this.
  8. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

Big Takeover.... Jack is a legend

manicpopthrill, zphage and Mr. D like this.
  9. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Record Collector from that list.

Really miss The Word magazine, that was superb.

KAJ1971 and SuddenSam like this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

Long time since I bought any music magazines. I used to love them.
    I bought Q for about 10 years. The odd copy of Mojo, Hot Press & various guitar mags.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Classic Rock
    Classic Rock Prog
    Uncut
    Mojo

And all my old copies of Circus and Creem from the 70’s :thumbsup:

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

For general music magazines, the last two I read regularly were Rolling Stone and Option. I stopped reading both sometime in the 90s. Rolling Stone just wasn't the same as it was--I started reading Rolling Stone around 1973 or so. Option I never subscribed to and I started having a hard time finding it by the mid-90s and just didn't bother.

I read musician magazines a lot more--Modern Drummer, Keyboard, Bass Player, Musician, Mix, etc. But they were all kind of fizzling out/getting a lot thinner, etc. 15-20 years ago, and I gradually dropped all of them, especially with so much info available online. Occasionally I'd still pick up a musician magazine from Barnes & Noble or Borders, but then their magazine racks started thinning out and then a lot of the stores started disappearing altogether, of course.

For the past ten years or so everything I read, aside from books, is online.

13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, in the 70s, I had subscriptions to Creem, Circus & Hit Parader as well as Rolling Stone and Down Beat--and then by the later 70s, I started shifting more to musician magazines (as they started blossoming and getting better distribution).

jon9091 likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I get more out of this forum than I ever got from a music magazine. Hats off to all my co-contributors.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

SHiNDiG!

Fifth-Chord and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  16. For historical research, anything Richard Jack Morton does leaves all these in the dust

Home | Flashback Magazine

For info on new music, there is no one source as a clearinghouse, because everyone is so niche: but there is Quietus, No Depression, Aquarium Drunkard, Ptolemaic Terrascope, Louder Than War, etc.,

17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I find MOJO indispensable.

I'll also buy Uncut if the CD's good or there's specific articles I'd like to read.

Anyone remember Vox? That was good....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  18. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

It used to be Mojo but now its Classic Rock

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  19. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Mine would probably be Relix.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Still Uncut, just.

Arguably, Mojo is better but I’ve been buying it for at least 20 years and it still feels like there are in jokes I don’t get.

Neither magazine is what they were but I suppose there are only so many classic album making of articles to be written.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  21. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

I haven’t followed the magazine for a while but it used to be great.

The only complaint I had about the magazine was Jack himself. He interjected himself way too often in articles that others wrote. His own articles were somewhat inundated with name and event checking. Don’t know whether that is still the case, though.

I would still pick this over everything else listed here.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  22. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I've always enjoyed Rolling Stone. They have a lot of non-music articles that are great. The recent mag has a chilling article about a teenage girl killed over the summer by an incel guy.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Good point. The reason I left Classic Rock was the repetitive cycle of articles on so few bands. Sure, Sabbath, Def Leppard, Zepp, Aerosmith etc are great acts, but just how many times do we have to revisit them? I jettisoned Classic Rock because of sameyness 10 years ago. Went to MOJO and have never looked back - yet :).

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  24. ICE magazine, the last time I saw it.

(Subscribed for a few years even.)

25. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I really just use the internet, mainly this forum. I'll occasionally read RS but Guitar World and Vintage Guitar are my goto magazines and those I don't buy often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.