Popeye DVD set screen grabs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wow!!! I'm a big fan of the Fleisher Popeye's -- especially Sinbad.

I'm eagerly awaiting this one!!!!! :goodie:

3. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

WOW, indeed! Those frame captures are amazing. Can't wait for this set!

Cheers,
    Chris

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Historic, must-have stuff!

You know you're a cartoon superstar in the making when your very first film co-stars Betty Boop!

5. Jay Casey

Jay Casey New Member

Some of those stills look like they are 3D!! Amazing.

6. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Wow! Breathtakingly beautiful stills!

This set looks even better than I hoped it would! July 31st can't get here soon enough!!

7. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Thanks for the links. I still find it hard to believe this is finally happening at all, much less with such a high degree of restoration. I would have been ecstatic to have them available regardless of condition and quality. This is getting good.

Looking at the "Sindbad" and "Ali Baba" screenshots, I find the intense colors a little jarring, but that's okay- if I don't get used to it I can always reduce the color intensity on my Tee-Vee.

Well, blow me down.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Don't forget that Fantagraphics is reissuing the original E.C. Seger POPEYE comic strips in six beautiful, oversized volumes. The first volume's already out and the second should be released shortly.

9. gd0

Some of them are "3D"... for certain special scenes in many Fleischer cartoons, 3-dimensional backgrounds were constructed with painted paper cutouts placed on a turntable... animation cels were placed in front of the background which was incrementally rotated with each exposure... the resultant effect onscreen is otherworldly, esp for cartoons made in the 1930s.

Don't do it!... I've been fortunate to see an actual production cel and background from Sindbad, firsthand, and if that one little experience is any indicator, it seems like the DVD will be rather accurate in color... there may be no one alive today who remembers an original screening, but I believe they were considerably more vibrant than the faded prints made from poor sources that have been broadcast on TV for decades.

One of the greatest cartoon series ever!... these should fly off the shelves.

10. Skip Reynolds

I take your point. I should have said that I'd consider watering them down a little to make them conform to my memories, give the nostalgic warm fuzzies a little goose (as if that will be necessary). But I figured the intense colors are probably accurate, and I'll probably love them.

Can you imagine how many boomers are going to be glued to their screens with BIG sheet-eating grins on their faces? Even as children we knew those Fleischer Popeye cartoons were special, and that was while watching them on micro-screen black and white TeeVee's with rabbit-ear antenna picture quality.

So just who are Sweepea's parents, anyway?

11. gd0

And howzabout that too-close-for-comfort resemblance of Popeye's "nephews", Peepeye, Pipeye, Pupeye and Poopeye?

DNA testing may be in order here.

Maybe it will be revealed in the loads of extras included on these DVD sets.

12. Skip Reynolds

Different cartoon universe. The "nephews" didn't appear in the original Fleischer cartoons; instead, they replaced Swee'Pea in the Paramount "Popeye In The U.S. Navy" cartoons.

I'm pretty sure, anyway.

But as long as we're at it, let's test Huey Dewey and Louie also; "Unca" Donald indeed. Harumph.

13. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

It's this kind of obscure knowledge that makes the cost of my cable Internet connection worthwhile.

:wave: :)

14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Having grown up on the "aap" syndicated TV prints of these 'toons, all I can say is...........well.........I really can't say anything.

The bar has been raised. If only every vintage cartoon released on DVD could look like this.

Wow.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

We all grew up with those ****** AAP TV prints. Used to drive me crazy as a five year old even. I mean, it was obvious they were cutting right into the beginning of each cartoon and out again in the middle of a musical phrase or something. I'm telling you as a kid it drove me bonkers. When I was in high school I saw on channel 5 (by accident, I'm sure) a B&W Popeye with the actual Paramount logo at the beginning. Almost dropped my drawers.

Glad that after 60 years of those awful prints someone is doing something about this.

Attached Files:

16. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

No-brainer purchase.....:wave:

Attached Files:

17. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Amazing restoration :righton:

Attached Files:

18. gd0

Welllll, not quite... prior to the change of hands to the Famous Studio, the nephews showed up as early as 1940... their appearance was more coincidental, not tied to the Navy/WWII toons, nor a vehicle to replace Swee'pea (who really never went away, just showed up infrequently).

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Here we are, 80 years after the fact, and the Fleischers are about to get a little more "Famous"! That stuff looks goooood...!

20. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up and I'm definitely buying this!

21. I seem to remember that the Fleischer's actually used miniature sets to help create the depth of field and 3-D effect that was a highlight of some of the Popeye cartoons.

It certainly made some of the color Popeyes unique. About time that the Fleischer's got their due!

22. Skip Reynolds

Well blow me down. That's why I said I was "pretty sure"; I had a feeling you might know more than I do.

23. Sure looks like it from some of those screen cpatures...don't think that wagon they're riding on is an illustration!

24. gd0

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Even when I was 4 and watching Popeye with Tom Hatten on KTLA Channel 5 on our black and white Packard Bell TV I was amazed by this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.