Popping noise when drop needle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Christopher Lauher, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Whether the problem is static or not, I am just surprised to learn someone has been surviving in Arizona without a humidifier.

vinnn and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it’s worth advising that a humidifier should not be placed close enough to any gear or records that the mist will actually make contact. You want it to humidify the room as a whole, not the gear or records directly.

vinnn and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think i am just going to try a couple of humidifiers, thanks guys for all of your suggestions

4. Christopher Lauher

I really really hope the humidifier’s work, I’m getting a little nervous now

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Unless you've still got your central heating on I'm amazed you've got low humidity, around here we've been hitting 80% recently, as summers not been seen and rain prevails.

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Arizona is a desert. I would assume it’s always low humidity.

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t think you have anything to be nervous about. Worst case scenario is you turn the volume down when you cue a record, right?

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No idea why humidifiers were purchased instead of a $10 device to measure whether humidity is low to begin with, first.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Eh, I’m not sure it’s worth measuring humidity in a desert, and humidifiers are not expensive. Might as well put the $10 toward the humidifiers, if I were the OP.

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

:doh:, I was in the "Will static damage my cartridge" thread and I think I ended up here via a link. The other OP lives in the North of England and even I know it's not like Arizona.:laugh:

PhilBiker and Big Blue like this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

One thing I've learned about this forum is to be sparing when offering assistance.

I recently replied in another thread - a member had tape reels that were Dolby B encoded - that I had a rackmount "Dolby" branded B-type outboard encoder/decoder, and offered to decode the tapes... only to find myself arguing with another poster who insisted that no such thing exists. I still feel kind of stupid for bothering to provide proof of owning that device, rather than just letting the whole thing go.

Soundslave and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

kas flef uroe rfed

13. Christopher Lauher

I have bought both the tester, and the humidifier, so rest to sure I will test first? Ya guys many of us that ask questions in these post are because we are rookies at this, and you guys are the experts so we value your guys opinion, as far as the volume thing I do turn the volume down and it still sounds like a shotgun blast, I feel like I’m back in East San Diego lol, this is an amazing hobby let’s just have fun and listen to are music however we want to and avoid the shotgun blast

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Christopher Lauher

I wish I could upload the video of what it sounds like

15. Strat-Mangler

Using the measuring device first is the way to do it. That way, you have data indicating what the starting point is. And you'll know when to back off your humidifier's performance. Too humid is just as bad as too dry.

Uploading a video is easy. If you have a Gmail account, you already have a YouTube account. Shoot a video with your phone and use the Share option to upload it to YouTube. Paste the link here and we'll see it.

16. Strat-Mangler

With respect, I'd say you've learned the wrong lesson. Offering assistance and being generous with the time and effort to educate is what I appreciate the most from this place. One guy was recently offered a cart he could use until he could afford the one he really wants. One member who upgraded his interconnects gave me what he upgraded from for free. I mean, that is just too damn cool and I hope that never changes.

That's just ego. Unfortunately, it's hard for some to admit to being wrong or they get off on correcting others. Either way, those types will almost never to being wrong even when proven right as their ego won't allow it. To those types, being wrong is a sign of weakness whereas I always approach it as a learning opportunity. More like "Really?! Well, I'll be damned..." My dad had a saying he'd use when he'd learn something new that'd change his mind or viewpoint about something ; "I'll be going to bed less dumb tonight!" :)

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Christopher Lauher

18. Christopher Lauher

Here it is guys

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Did you try what I suggested?

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I mean all the way down, to 0 (a mute button also works), which should not let any signal get to your speakers. Of course you want to resolve the cause of the pop, but in the meantime, what you showed in the video can’t be great for your speakers.

21. Christopher Lauher

When I took that video, it was happening all the time, I have now gotten a better table for it to sit on and my table and player are now level, and it still is happening, but not as much, I have bought a tester and humidifier so hopefully that is the root of the cause otherwise I have no idea at this point

22. Christopher Lauher

I did try it, only on one record, but I am going to adopt that now thank you, so much for the suggestion hopefully with humidifier and your suggestion I can go back to talking about records and not this annoying pop

23. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Did it pop when you tried it with the one record?

24. Christopher Lauher

No it did not, so I think it worked that one time but I have noticed now that sometimes I put a record on pop right away, sometimes no pop until I flip record to side two, sometimes if I listen to 2 or 3 records in one setting 2nd and third records pop

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

That sounds REALLY bad. It should not be doing that. Something is very wrong.

Is everything grounded? That sounds like it may be extremely terrible static discharge or some other electrical gremlin.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.