Porcupine Tree, Album by Album, Song by Song (mostly)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RicB, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I have plenty of people that care - in that case it was more, the problem wasn't directly related to my problems, but were a factor in the bigger scheme of things. The fallout from that experience wasn't immediate but the solution ended up being putting my life in the context of what it is - this probably had a 90% drop in fixation on dying from that 18-20 year old period of my life.

In some ways, I hope it makes that possibility less likely going forward.

Personal post over, it only just came to me when this came up that it fit so much when I hadn't heard it in years.

RicB and Miles1968 like this.
  2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Prodigal

For me, this is another highpoint on an album full of them. There is a tiny bit of humor hidden down deep in the lyrics. Not a common thing on a Porcupine Tree album.

The buildup from the rather sparse verses to the bridge (Rain keeps falling down the glass) via increased (vocal and instrumental) layering is well done and effective. This culminates with the wonderful stereo electric guitar chord progression during the "These are my old clothes - This is a new low..." part of the song--which is a killer musical ear-gasm for this listener. Absolutely love it!

Al Gator and RicB like this.
  3. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan Thread Starter

.3 ("Dot Three")
    Words and Music by Steven Wilson (and Colin Edwin?)

Black the sky, weapons fly
    Lay them waste for your race
    (Welcome home)
    --------------------------------

This was derived from the demo for Strip the Soul (for which Colin is given some credit - maybe it's just the opening bass riff for STS that Colin contributed). The Lyndhurst Orchestra joins PT on this song - and, oh, what a song it is! A total mood piece with lush strings and vocals that work almost like another instrument. The bass is sublime. I LOVE this song. I'm just satisfied at the end. The lyrics are pretty dark, though. There has been speculation about the title - does it refer to a third world war, or maybe a Bible verse (2 Peter 3:10 has been suggested: “But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.”). As far as I know, Steven has never revealed the meaning. On the live album Anesthetize, ".3" and "Strip the Soul" are reunited and played together. I actually like them better as separate songs.

4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I believe he mentioned it was about 9/11.

5. RicB

Thanks. Any idea on the title?

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think I like .3 better than Strip the Soul!

I admit that I did not pay .3 much attention on the first few album listenings, preoccupied as I was with what seemed to be a big comedown after the first five great songs. It is indeed a very atmospheric piece, and rescues the middle part of the album somewhat. It's almost a throwback to the sound he had on Up the Downstair, or even earlier. In fact, listening again, I was reminded of It Will Rain For a Million Years.

Perhaps it's about an alien invasion, in which case "Dot three" might be how they would refer to the Earth, being the third dot from the sun.

seasonsinthesky, Al Gator and RicB like this.
  7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Actually disregard, his 9/11 song is Collapse the Light into Earth.

RicB likes this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I love getting a mostly-instrumental song where the few vocals we get are really impactful, and .3 is a great demonstration of how effective it can be. The bass line is this one is killer, and those strings are so majestic.

seasonsinthesky, DPM and RicB like this.
  9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I like .3 but not as much as some. The music is atmospheric and the bass line is great, but it's just a bit too repetitive for my taste. I'll enjoy it when it's playing but it's not one I reach for.

RicB likes this.
  10. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The layering in this song is off the chart. Just beautiful. Also, Colin Edwin is the John Paul Jones of this band. The secret weapon.

The .3 title may refer to World War 3. The lyrics certainly seem to lean that way. The only oddity there is the "welcome home" vocal counterpoint at the end. Who is that referring to?

Whatever, this song is another winner, and it serves as a palette cleanser/breather too.

bobloblaw and Al Gator like this.
  11. RicB

The Creator Has a Mastertape
    Words and Music by Steven Wilson

He captured and collected things
    And he put them in a shed
    He raised a proper family
    So he could tie them to a bed

The creator had a mastertape
    But he left it in a cab
    I stared into the void tonight
    The best dream I ever had

He worked himself into the ground
    And drove a spike into his head
    A voice said “Are you happy now?
    Your sordid home is running red”

The creator had a mastertape
    But he left it in a cab
    I stared into the void tonight
    The best dream I ever had
    -----------------------------------------------------

If there's a song I have doubts about on this album...it's this one. Frenetic energy and a metal sound combined with some of Steven's most disturbing lyrics ("Strip the Soul" rivals it). There was some story I heard that I can't remember about some artist leaving behind a demo mastertape in car maybe being the inspiration for the title, but I may have just imagined that. I have this vision of someone finding a video tape in a cab of some psycho torturing and murdering his family. Ugh. The song is apparently very difficult to play - particularly for the drummer - and may have been the proximate cause of Chris Maitland's departure from the band.

Pills and chloroform​

Al Gator likes this.
  12. Al Gator

Mastertape points the way to the more metalized music to come. I think it works fairly well in this spot on the album, as a burst of energy. And yes, the lyrics are certainly disturbing, but I guess this is expected by this point.

DPM and RicB like this.
  13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

While I do not skip Creator, I find it a bit of a throwaway and I would be perfectly happy if it were not there.

I think I also recall a story about some musician leaving a tape of a finished album in a taxi and having to record the whole thing again. I can't remember who it was, and it's probably not pertiinent to this particular song, which seems to be more about some kind of psycho. There is a line in there "He captured and collected things" which I would say is almost certainly a reference to the character in "The Collector" by John Fowles - given that there is at least one other song of Steven's that references this character ("Index" from Grace For Drowning).

I have a feeling that if I had the opportunity to look at Steven's bookcases, or wherever he keeps his books, and see what titles he had in his collection, I might wish that I hadn't.

RicB, Al Gator and Miles1968 like this.
  14. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Is there a nod towards Pharoah Sanders in the title (who wrote The Creator Has A Master Plan)?

RicB likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I believe it was supposedly Jimi Hendrix who left the Axis Bold as Love mastertape in a cab. I'm a big fan of Creator has a Mastertape. Sounds amazing in surround.

DPM and RicB like this.
  16. RicB

Could be. I don't know anything about it, but that's the kind of nod SW would do.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  17. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Prodigal

Another fantastic song on a very strong album. the harmonies are amazing again. The slide guitar I think really adds to the texture of the track. The part before the bridge as well as the outro, I can't figure out what it is. Keyboard or guitar? It almost sound like a vocal through distortion but you can't make out the words. Another great guitar solo by SW. Love the fill at the end by Gavin and then how it goes into...

This is just an incredible instrumental (basically) from start to end. The bass line is just superb. The drums how they come in and groove with that bass line. Some more Ebow guitar it sounds like. the strings really make the sound gel nice on this as it goes along. Nice acoustic guitar and the electric through the Leslie sounds great. Great song in surround as well as when you are on a road trip driving and looking at really nice scenery.

RicB and DPM like this.
  18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The Creator Has A Mastertape

Yes, it was Jimi Hendrix who left the master tape for side one of Axis: Bold As Love in a cab. So he and Eddie Kramer had to remix that side.

As for the song in question, I love the kinetic energy it gives off. Colin Edwin's bass line is simple yet effective. It serves the song perfectly.

RicB likes this.
  19. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

.3 is a great example of the magic that happens when all the musical elements come together. This is what the term “cinematic” in music really is about.

DPM, RicB, krimson and 1 other person like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The Creator is a Mastertape is not one of my favorites from the record, but I still like it a lot, and its placement in the album is perfect. It's one of those songs that could have sounded too noisy had the production not been just right, but it's sonically pretty amazing.

DPM, RicB, Al Gator and 1 other person like this.
  21. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

The Creator is a hard one for me to rap my head around. I like it, but don’t really get it I guess. I understand how part of the lyrics relate to the theme of the album, but the leaving it in a cab part, especially knowing the Hendrix connection is confusing. Then, pills and chloroform all the pages torn, not too sure there either.

I do find the music engaging just for the pure schizophrenic nature of it. Some very angular jarring moments. It almost feels like a few different songs tied together by a drum part. Which is a bit of an insane drum part really. I guess intense is a better word for it. Agreed that it would have been real interesting to know Maitland’s take on this. Blundell did a great job on SW’s solo tour with this song, but I thought the poor guy might have a stroke doing it. It’s an all out in your face song live.

All you need during the heavy guitar riff is a strobe light and a lot of head banging!

DPM, RicB and Al Gator like this.
  22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I believe "he left it in a cab" is just a throwaway line that Steven included as a little bit of humour because he remembered the story about Jimi Hendrix. I don't think the rest of the song has anything to do with Hendrix.

RicB likes this.
  23. RicB

Heartattack in a Layby
    Words and Music by Steven Wilson

I pull off the road
    East of Baldock and Ashford
    Feeling for my cell
    In the light from the dashboard

Hissing from the road
    The smell of rain in the air con
    Maybe check the news
    Or just put a tape on

Lighting up a smoke
    I’ve got this feeling inside me
    Don’t feel too good

If I close my eyes
    And fell asleep in this layby
    Would it all subside
    The fever pushing the day by

Motor window wind
    I could do with some fresh air
    Can’t breathe too well

i. She waits for me
    ii. Home waits for me

I guess I should go now
    She’s waiting to make up
    To tell me she’s sorry
    And how much she missed me
    I guess I’m just burnt out
    I really should slow down
    I’m perfectly fine but
    I just need to lie down

We’ll grow old together…
    --------------------------------------------

Probably my favorite PT song. I've not heard anything more hauntingly beautiful than the end of this song. It is so incredibly sad that it has literally moved me to tears. That mixture of hope and regret while the listener realizes that the protagonist is dying. Wow. Musically, the acoustic guitar accents are perfect.

DPM, Playloud, Miles1968 and 3 others like this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

This set of lyrics is one of Steven's most straightforward and easy to understand. It's just about a man pulling over to the side of the raod because he's not feeling too good, and realising that he needs to start taking things a bit easier. Either that, or there is some extra subtext that I am missing completely.

This is where the album picks up again for me. .3 is fine, but the other songs surrounding it seem rather insipid. Heartatack is a return to form.there is a delightful little bit of harmonising near the end - what Steven refers to as "ensemble singing". This is one of the things that gave Porcupine Tree a distinctive sound.

RicB, Miles1968 and Al Gator like this.
  25. Al Gator

Heartattack is a great song. Haunting is the right word for it - the acoustic guitars, sad synths, and layered vocals make for an incredibly melancholy atmosphere.

I'm convinced the man dies there and they don't grow old together. The ending of the song is that proverbial light.

RicB, DPM and Miles1968 like this.