Porcupine Tree, Album by Album, Song by Song (mostly)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RicB, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Gotta admit when he did this live on the last tour and the bright white light hits on the chorus it’s totally raw and exciting. I’m not sure what what Nick Beggs is doing with is pose at the end, but I like it. Pretty great finale live and studio.

Laughed hard at Al Gator’s sleep together going directly to suicide meaning. Isn’t that the truth.:agree: PT, what a band.

It’s not my favorite track, but it works well for it’s intended purpose.

RicB and richard a like this.
  2. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan Thread Starter

Nil Recurring

Nil Recurring (also Transmission 5.1) is an EP by British progressive rock band Porcupine Tree, released on 17 September 2007 through the band's online store. The standard version of the mini-album is composed of four tracks written during the Fear of a Blank Planet recording sessions and was completed over the summer of 2007. The EP's title, which stems from the opening instrumental track on the EP, was actually derived from an unreleased demo written during the Fear of a Blank Planet recording sessions, called "Always Recurring". Although the band never formally released the song, lyrical and melodic elements of the track were reused in the closing piece of the EP, "What Happens Now?".

Nil Recurring entered the UK Top 30 Independent Label Albums at #8 and is the #2 EP of 2007 on Rate Your Music.

Writing and recording
    The band met in London in July 2006 to work on new material to follow up Deadwing. At the time, "My Ashes" and "Normal" were already written by Wilson; he later reworked the latter song, transforming it into "Sentimental". The band sessions produced "Fear of a Blank Planet", "Anesthetize", "Cheating the Polygraph", and "Sleep Together", along with material that would not fit the album they were forming. Thus, when the band toured later in the year to polish songwriting and preview the upcoming record, it was played in the work-in-progress running order: the same as the final album sequence, but with "Cheating the Polygraph" in the fifth track placement. Once the tour ended, the band decided none of the extra songs nor "Cheating the Polygraph" were up to the standards of the record, as they weren't properly developed, and there was a policy not to make the album over fifty minutes long. The band wrote "Way Out of Here" to bridge "Sentimental" and "Sleep Together"; after Fear of a Blank Planet was released, the four remaining tracks were mixed between June and August 2007 to make the Nil Recurring EP.

Release
    The first press of the album was issued on Porcupine Tree's own label, Transmission, and was limited to 5,000 copies in a fold-out digipak. It was originally decided to sell 3,000 copies through the band's online store and sell the remaining 2,000 at shows on the forthcoming tour, but the initial run of pre-orders through the online store were sold out in a period of 24 hours, so the band quickly put out more copies, whether for purchase or download in MP3/FLAC formats at a very cheap cost; the downloadable version includes exclusive printable artwork. Peaceville Records further promoted the release by constructing a Nil Recurring minisite, and more specifically in conjunction with Porcupine Tree, by creating and releasing a video for the song "Normal", which contains an edited, radio-friendly version of the song. A Japanese edition was released through WHD in late October 2007 and includes the radio edit of "Fear of a Blank Planet" as a bonus track.

Title and concept
    Porcupine Tree's frontman, Steven Wilson, explained the meaning of the EP's title and commented about its relationship with the concept of Fear of a Blank Planet:

“I just thought it was an interesting idea I had. I had this instrumental, and I didn't have a title, so I called it "Nil Recurring". It's always quite hard to name instrumentals, because obviously there's no subject matter to relate it to. I just thought the idea was quite funny. I kind of like absurd titles. I kind of have a history of having these titles that make no sense, like Up the Downstair. I mean, Nil Recurring is another paradox-like statement. You cannot have the number nil recurring. So it's just a bit of fun really. And of course, it seemed to fit in with the lyrical concept of some of the other pieces that featured on Fear of a Blank Planet. It was that idea of blankness, of not being there, or negativity that helped gave that piece - and the EP - its title.”

Song details
    • The track "Nil Recurring" is an instrumental piece and features King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp on lead guitar. Furthermore, drummer Gavin Harrison plays tap guitar on this track.[
    • The chorus in "Normal" is musically very similar to the chorus in "Sentimental", since the latter is a further development of the former. The lyrics of both songs contain a response to each other: while the last verse on "Normal" says "Wish I was old and a little sentimental", the first verse on "Sentimental" speaks "I never wanna be old, and I don't want dependence". The song also has a lyrical reference to the song "Anesthetize" from Fear of a Blank Planet in the phrase "I do a good impression of myself". According to Wilson's statement in the live performance We Lost the Skyline, the song was written in Tel-Aviv.
    • The song "Cheating the Polygraph" debuted on the late 2006 Fear of a Blank Planet preview tour, although its title was not revealed at the time. It was later dropped out of the track list for the album, so the band wrote "Way Out of Here" to fill the gap. On the LP version of Fear of a Blank Planet, "Cheating the Polygraph" ends the first side, therefore placed between "My Ashes" and "Anesthetize". The rest of Nil Recurring is placed on the fourth side.
    • Ben Coleman contributes electric violin to "What Happens Now?", having previously worked with Wilson as part of No-Man. During live performances, Coleman's parts are played on the guitar by touring guitarist John Wesley. "What Happens Now?" includes a riff featured in "Anesthetize", lyrical references to "My Ashes", and additionally, elements of an unreleased song titled "Always Recurring" - which was pegged for "Nil Recurring" but dropped out later on - were used in the making of the song. Its title is derived from an unpublished (but sung) bridge lyric in "Way Out of Here": "I will be found with a bomb in my bag, thinking 'what happens now?'."
    Promotion
    Peaceville Records set a Nil Recurring minisite related to the issue of the EP, including full audio streamings for each track. The video for "Normal" was initially intended to be posted on 15 February 2008, but its release date was moved forward to 9 February 2008.

Track listing
    In addition to the standard version, the EP is also available in 5.1 Surround Sound on the DVDA version of Fear of a Blank Planet.

Personnel
    Guests
    • Robert Fripp – lead guitar on "Nil Recurring"
    • Ben Coleman – electric violin on "What Happens Now?"
    Chart performance
    Release history

Nil Recurring
    [​IMG]
    EP by
    Porcupine Tree
    Released
    17 September 2007
    Genre Progressive rock, progressive metal
    Length 28:44
    Label
    Producer Porcupine Tree

Alternative cover

[​IMG]

No. Title Writer(s) Length

1. "Nil Recurring" Wilson, Barbieri, Edwin, Harrison 6:08
    2. "Normal" Wilson 7:07
    3. "Cheating the Polygraph" Wilson, Harrison 7:06
    4. "What Happens Now?" Wilson, Barbieri, Edwin, Harrison 8:23

Chart
    Entry
    UK Indie Chart 8
    Finland 5
    France 114
    Germany 100

Country
    Date Label
    United Kingdom 17 September 2007 Transmission
    Japan 30 October 2007 WHD
    Europe 18 February 2008 Peaceville
    United States 19 February 2008
    Germany 22 February 2008

--------------------------------------------------------

A decent EP on its own with two great songs and two so-so tracks (IMHO - any guesses?). My physical copy is actually the Blank Planet Recurring promo that features single edits of "Anesthetize", "Way Out of Here", and "Fear of a Blank Planet". The artwork is essentially the same as that of Nil Recurring (better than its parent album, I think).

Al Gator likes this.
  3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Would I be right in guessing that the two "great songs" are the even-numbered ones? ;)

RicB likes this.
  4. RicB

IMHO...yes...

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I don't remember if you mentioned it earlier, but this EP is included on the FOABP DVD-A (which, like The Incident DVD-A, had the same "street price" as the CD)

RicB likes this.
  6. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Sleep Together

Another amazing song. This album is just incredible isn't it? Love the pulsing keys, the drumming and the heavy guitars. the middle section with what sounds like Rhodes or electric pianos that are playing off of each other are super cool and then having eh guitar with the Leslie thing going on and it builds from there with the drums and the strings. Just incredible really. What a great tune. They did a great version of it on the last SW tour.

RicB likes this.
  7. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Unlike some here, I love every track on this EP. I have this when it was on the FOABP DVD-A in which it is only in 5.1 surround but I have also picked it up on CD so I could have 2 track mix of it. I managed to pick up a Peaceville version of it that has an outer cardbaord slip for the case.

RicB likes this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Sleep Together is, in short, freaking awesome. Incredible vibe and pacing, and the way it climax is nothing short of amazing. Seeing it live, and ending the show the last time I saw PT as well, was like a religious experience.

To me, the five best songs from the FOABP sessions are:

Anesthetize
    Sleep Together
    What Happens Now?
    Way out of Here
    Cheating the Polygraph

So yeah, I like the Nil Recurring EP a lot as well. The title track and Normal are really good, but the latter two songs are where it's at.

Alternative4 and Miles1968 like this.
  9. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

For what it’s worth my playlist of FOABP mixed with Nil Recurring runs as follows. It’s burnable onto cd too, as it comes in at 79.30 minutes...

Fear Of A Blank Planet
    Nil Recurring
    My Ashes
    What Happens Now?
    Anesthetise
    Sentimental
    Normal
    Cheating The Polygraph
    Way Out Of Here
    Sleep Together

Give it a try. The first two tracks work together exceptionally well. And I like running Sentimental and Normal together.

bobloblaw likes this.
  10. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

A bit late, but one of my all time favourite concert moments is watching SW rock out to Sleep Together in Royal Albert hall. That song is something else live.

The way that burbling evil sound synth appears from the darkness, before being accompanied by the nervously paced drums is all so disconcerting.

EDIT: Craig Blundell really made this one his own and it really suits his style. A fantastic drummer.

11. RicB

Nil Recurring (song)
    Music by Porcupine Tree

[Instrumental]
    --------------------------------

This disjointed instrumental reminds me of Dislocated Day in its sense of rhythm. Like that song, I can get a little annoyed listening to it. There's nothing really wrong with it, but I also find it a little boring. That's surprising considering that Robert Fripp guests in on it, but there you have it. What do you think?

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Doing this now. You’re onto something!

13. RicB

I may have to try it as well. In terms of "telling the story", I could see it ordered as follows (but I don't know how it would flow):

Fear of a Blank Planet
    Nil Recurring
    Normal
    Anesthetize
    Sentimental
    Cheating the Polygraph
    Way Out of Here
    Sleep Together
    My Ashes
    What Happens Now?

14. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

The title track has to be first and Way Out of Here and Sleep Together have to be last. I'd prefer What Happens Now? as part of the finale:

Fear Of A Blank Planet
    Nil Recurring
    My Ashes
    Sentimental
    Normal
    Cheating The Polygraph
    Anesthetize
    What Happens Now?
    Way Out Of Here
    Sleep Together

richard a likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I like it, but maybe My Ashes should be the last song.

RicB likes this.
  16. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Nil Recurring is my person “kick a$$” on the day song when I’m getting ready to go to work.

If I were in the WWE this would be my entrance music. I call dibs on this one if that situation arises. :laugh:

RicB and LivingForever like this.
  17. RicB

I need a kick a$$ song this morning (board meetings today), so maybe I'll try it.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I thought that too, especially since "my ashes" are mentioned in "What Happens Now?", which was my suggested penultimate track.

Honestly, though, there is no "right" way to order the album it's whatever way each individual enjoys listening to it.

19. RicB

Normal
    Words and Music by Steven Wilson

Here is my car, my phone and my TV
    I’ve got it all but you can see through me

But am I here?
    It’s kind of hard to tell
    I do a good impression of myself
    But what’s normal now anyhow?

Sullen and bored the kids stay
    And in this way they wish away each day
    Stoned in the mall the kids play

Prescription drugs, they help me through the day
    And that restraining order keeps me well at bay
    But what’s normal now anyway?

Sullen and bored the kids stay
    Stoned in the mall the kids play

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
    (Wish I was old)

i. Wish I was old and a little sentimental
    ii. You gotta see the waves, not the wine bottle in the waves now
    -----------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite PT tunes overall. The structure is really interesting - an acoustic riff followed by the same riff with electric guitar and band, then what I think of as the core song, then a short heavy transition to another acoustic driven section with a lovely acoustic solo, then back to our opening riff with the full band followed by a sublime little acoustic riff to close it. The harmonies and counterpoint during the late acoustic section is just gorgeous. VERY nice! The lyrics despairing with just a tinge of hope and wistfulness. Great track!

Playloud and richard a like this.
  20. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I like the version on We Lost The Skyline where he botches the intro the first time. You can just tell from a few notes it’s going to go sideways in no time. Restart! I’m not certain the difficulty level as I only know the minimum guitar basics, but it seems pretty tough.

RicB likes this.
  21. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Nil Recurring (song)

I think this instrumental is great. And the solo that Fripp did was on fire. Great performance. I like the abrasiveness of it.

Normal

Always loved this song. I have seen them play it live and it is good but not as good as the studio version with all of the excellent harmonies. The acoustic guitar playing is very well done. This is another of my wife’s favourite tunes by PT along with Halo.

RicB likes this.
  22. RicB

Cheating the Polygraph
    Words by Steven Wilson, Music by Gavin Harrison & Steven Wilson

Lying through my teeth again
    I’ve been bad again, black lies
    Skirting round the truth again
    To escape the look in your eyes

Cover up the facts again
    With the money men, disguise
    Losing my integrity
    Well it’s lost to me, I don’t mind

Feel my soul going
    Feel my soul colder

Blackening my soul again
    With another lie, it’s my style
    Burying my face again
    God I’m so ashamed, this time
    ----------------------------------------------

Not my favorite, but on listening again for this thread, I like it better than I remember. It's mainly the chorus that bothers me, I guess. This was bumped off the album in favor of "Way Out of Here".

23. RicB

I'm going to wrap up Fear of a Blank Planet this weekend, but because I am now exhausted and have a busy weekend ahead, I'm going to put out the last two songs from this album now including one that was only released via youtube.

24. RicB

What Happens Now?
    Words and music by Porcupine Tree

So I got all these things, but so what?
    In the end you can’t take them with you
    You think you can save my soul? Well OK…
    Tell me, with all your conviction
    What happens now?

Well I could be boarding an aircraft
    With a bomb concealed in somebody’s briefcase
    And my body will spread through the heavens, across the sky
    And my ashes will fall through the cloudburst
    What happens now?
    -----------------------------------------------------

An awesome song that would have been a great closer, I think, to the album. Works great on the EP as well. It was written early and then set aside. The last half of the song is all instrumental and prog in all it's glory. The “Anesthetize” riff reprise in the middle of the song features a pulse in 5/4 (the guitar) while the rest of the band play in 7/8, with Gavin Harrison playing an additional 3/16 polyrhythm override on the bell. (Last sentence stolen from the Neural Rust website). One of my favorites from the Fear of a Blank Planet set.

25. RicB

Always Recurring
    Words, Music, and all instruments by Steven Wilson

Suddenly I don’t care
    And I’m sure
    In the end it’s gonna be peaceful
    And I won’t be
    Buried under a freeway
    Like a dog
    Or hit by a train

There’s no way
    I could ever jump from a window
    With a smile
    As the floors concertina
    And dancing in the air
    As I speed towards the tarmac
    Thinking, “what happens now?”

Don’t say anything at all
    Stop your whining
    No one wants to hear about you
    No one reads the words now anyway
    Make your music to entertain us
    No, no navel-gazing please
    Oh for god’s sake
    No, we don’t wanna have to think

Always recurring down

And I won’t be
    Boarding an airplane
    With a bomb
    Concealed in somebody’s iPod
    As my body
    Spreads through the heavens
    And my ashes
    Fall through the cloudburst

Don’t say anything at all
    Stop your whining
    No one wants to hear about you
    No one reads the words now anyway
    Make your music to entertain us
    No, no navel-gazing please
    Oh for god’s sake
    No, we don’t wanna have to think

([unclear], fall to the earth)
    ----------------------------------------------------------

A demo released to YouTube (and I think on mp3 to his "street team" whatever that is - some kind of marketing arrangement?). It's actually a beautiful song, but has too many elements of the other songs (particularly "What Happens Now?") lyrically and musically to be released on the EP. I wish this had been released to Soundcloud in full resolution. Maybe it will make an odds and sods compilation album some time in the future.