Post a Surprising Musical Fact....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

Yesterday?

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel and Ray & Dave Davies of The Kinks are cousins. :yikes:

Bluepicasso likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

That turns out to be #2! And apparently, every one of them is indeed the Paul McCartney-written song, as the earliest cover version that charted on an album in the US was by Marianne Faithfull in 1966.

But there is still one title ahead of it! And that one appears to be a multitude of different songs, rather than just one oft-recorded one.

Changingman likes this.
  4. Steve Stills played timbales on the Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing."

ARK, Zeppelin fan, izgoblin and 3 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

People often seem to get more of a kick from disliking stuff, more than liking stuff ..... :rolleyes:

6. I'm amazed. I could have sworn that was an Alan Toussaint song. It has all of the hallmarks, both musically and lyrically.

7. wheres my downvote button

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

Mmhh, let's give it a try... I Want You?

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I appreciate you trying. "I Want You" is actually a bit down the list. There are 38 entries that have that title. I suspect there are several different songs involved. Dylan is one; Marvin Gaye, KISS and Christine McVie are among many others.

The grand champion we're looking for has 81 entries! "Yesterday," by the way, had 69.

Hope you and others will keep guessing.

Changingman likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

?

Steve Carras likes this.
  11. i was just being meta...not easy to pull off on the internet.

ARK, Crimson jon and Steve Carras like this.
  12. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

On a similar note, I read years ago that the most uttered line in movies was "let's get out of here". I wonder if it's still true.

13. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

??

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the monkees were a hired TV cast, not a rock and roll band.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Farah Fawcett-Majors inspired the perennial classic, "Midnight Train to Georgia." The songwriter was Lee Majors's roommate, and one day Farah said she had a midnight flight to Houston. The songwriter played around with the phrase until settling on the hit version.

BeatlesBop and Celebrated Summer like this.
  16. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Found this out from my non-musical Mom, of all people - Frank Sinatra had a single in 1971 called "I'm Not Afraid" that had the same melody as Jaques Brel's "Sons Of", but with different love-song lyrics:

17. classicrockguy

Air Supply's 2 lead singers both have Russell in their name - lead singer Russell Hitchcock and other lead singer Graham Russell

ARK likes this.
  18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega is actually Tom's Restaurant in NYC. Which is Monk's Cafe in Seinfeld!

Celebrated Summer and Rupe33 like this.
  19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Alright now you did it. I have to know! Which lines did Melody sing?

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I checked YouTube and found this (according to the comments, Cheryl Ladd sings lead on this song):

ARK, Zeppelin fan and drad dog like this.
  21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I wonder if she has lines in the theme.

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Since my question has elicited only minimal interest, I'll give the answer. First, the question:

The answer: "Tonight"

Per Joel Whitburn, there were 81 songs bearing this title that appeared on albums that made the Billboard Album Charts between 1955 and 1992.

Probably the best-known song of this title came from West Side Story, and that's likely the one that is most represented among the 81.

Others that I know of for sure based on the artists are The Move (as well as the New Seekers cover of it), Tommy Tutone, Nick Lowe, and my personal favorite — Raspberries (also probably their greatest song).

ARK and izgoblin like this.
  23. classicrockguy

Actually I don't think that's true, it's named after Toms Diner in Ledgewood, NJ which unfortunately is abandoned and falling apart at the current time. I think that Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" was filmed there as well. It's the 2nd oldest diner in NJ, being built in the late 1930's, and seems to have a campaign to save it

[​IMG]
    Battle on to save Roxbury's Tom's Diner

MungoMusic, ARK and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Al Jolson was so insecure he used to leave the water faucets running in his dressing room so he wouldn't hear applause for any other acts on the bill.

I didn't read though any of the 29 previous pages but it's a pretty good bet no one mentioned this. More likely; Al who?

Aftermath, jonathan and drad dog like this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Bryan Adams and Ryan Adams have the same birthday.

ARK, Zeppelin fan, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.