Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Night the Animals Talked - Wikipedia

The Night the Animals Talked is an animated children's Christmas special first shown on ABC television on December 9, 1970. It was broadcast only four times on ABC, from 1970 through 1973.

The Night the Animals Talked was produced by Gino Gavioli and Roberto Gavioli's Gamma Film of Milan, Italy, and was directed by animation veteran Shamus Culhane. The story evolved from an MGM Records children's recording written by writer and voiceover artist Peter Fernandez. [who played the lead in the 1949 film City Across The River - JK]

The special is known for approaching a variety of themes, such as segregation, racism, and vanity. The interactions of the animals spells out the problems of mankind, but they are seen through the vantage points of animals, in a manner similar to George Orwell's Animal Farm.​

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Windy Day (1967)

A short by John and Faith Hubley, starring Emily and Georgia Hubley.This was sometimes screened before The Odd Couple (1968) on its initial run.

Reader likes this.
  3. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (1980-1981)

[​IMG]

Obscured by time, if nothing else. Old-school (japanese) animation and good writing, based on a novel by the swedish writer Selma Lagerlöf. Nils Holgersson is a lazy and naughty farmboy who enjoys teasing the animals, and makes the mistake of capturing a tomte (scandinavian gnome) who casts a spell on Nils, turning him small.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

West and Soda (1965)

Animated "spaghetti western"

West and Soda - Wikipedia

West and Soda (also known as The West Way Out) is a 1965 traditionally animated Italian feature film directed by Bruno Bozzetto. It is a parody of the traditional American Western.

In an interview, Bozzetto claimed to have invented the Spaghetti Western genre with this film, an achievement usually attributed to Sergio Leone with his A Fistful of Dollars which was released the year before, but whose development started later and was faster than the traditionally animated West and Soda.[​

EdgardV and Reader like this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Mean Moe Tells William Tell aka Moe's Apple (1963)

From the obscure TV series Out Of The Inkwell, syndicated in the early '60s. Featured new cartoons with classic Max Fleischer characters. The original footage of Max Fleischer's hand drawing Koko the Clown emerging from the inkwell was hand colored and used to open episodes.

6. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I like Koko The Clown

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Sherlock Holmes and A Study in Scarlet (1983)

Peter O'Toole voices Mr. Holmes

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Crusader Rabbit - episode 1 (1949)

Generally considered the first cartoon series made specifically for television

Alan G. and Reader like this.
  9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Rhythm In The Ranks (1941)

George Pal Puppetoon

Alan G., Reader and EdgardV like this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Moby Dick (1999)

"This animated adaptation of Herman Melville's literary masterpiece captures the excitement and majesty of the landmark novel. All the dramatic tensions and psychological complexities come to life through magnificent oil paintings. Academy Award winner Rod Steiger expertly matches these images with a haunting voice-over performance as the legendary Captain Ahab. These elements are masterfully woven together to render a smart and engaging adaptation of Moby Dick."

Produced by Natalya Orlova in paint-on-glass style animation for BBC Wales and S4C in 1999.​

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Magic Horse (USSR, 1947)

The Humpbacked Horse (1947 film) - Wikipedia

a 1947 Soviet/Russian traditionally animated feature film directed by I. Ivanov-Vano and produced by the Soyuzmultfilm studio in Moscow. The film is based on the poem by Pyotr Pavlovich Yershov​

12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

13. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Has anyone submitted the Hedgehog in the Fog? I rather liked it when I was younger.

Reader likes this.
  14. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Or slightly more fun, Charlton and the Wheelies

15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Not sure if this fits the thread but CGI is a form of cartoon. This is amazing anyway.

Reader likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Treasure Island (1988)

USSR, with English subtitles

Reader likes this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Otto Messmer - Times Square animation (1940)

Animated silent gag cartoons by Felix the Cat creator Otto Messmer in collaboration with NYC "Neon Sign King" Douglas Leigh, intended for showing on animated billboards in Times Square.

Reader and EdgardV like this.
  18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Flop House (1932)

Don’t let the bed bugs bite! “The Flop House” (1932) |

it’s easy to see that I might have an unhealthy affection for Scrappy cartoons, produced from 1931 though 1940. Scrappy had his own series though 1939, ending his screen career as part of the ‘Phantasy’ series. There are worse addictions.

The Flop House (1932) is one of my favorites, with lots of really fun gags and some really nice character animation. Posing and timing at Columbia are taking leaps forward at this point, largely due to the brilliance of director Dick Huemer. these cartoons all have a really joyful, musical sensibility. These aspects combined with often really bizarre subject matter leads to a strange but enjoyable experience.

Scrappy runs this ramshackle depression-era flop house for the otherwise homeless, collecting money from the poorest of society and offering them a less-than-savory barn-like resting place. They’re all happy enough to enter, though by the end of the film…

The cartoon is full of Fleischer-esque gags. I think it’s a really great example of the evolution of timing and acting in animation, with often really solid posing and variety in timing, as well as story pacing, though I think the ending doesn’t work as well as the rest of the film. The score in this cartoon is really fun too. I really love the ominous music that plays as Oopy attempts to walk to his bed without waking everyone. There’s a great scene in the middle of the film where Oopy attempts to drink water, leading to him creating a whole series of little annoyances for the rest of the animals, er, guests. There’s a bedpan joke at one point, though I think modern audiences likely wouldn’t get it. In the end, despite Scrappy’s attempts in the first scene to destroy them, the bed bugs win out.​

Reader, EdgardV and Alan G. like this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

7-Up commercials from the '50s, starring the brand's short-lived mascot Fresh-Up Freddie. These ads were animated by the then-new television branch of Disney animation.

1950s 7-Up TV Commercials!

20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

cboldman and Reader like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OMG! I can't stop laughing as I'm posting this! The best!

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Brief behind-the-scenes look at the production of Astro Boy (1963)

In Japanese and no English subtitles, but definitely worth a watch for animation buffs.

Reader likes this.
  24. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Wizard of Oz (1933)

Produced by Ted Eshbaugh. Uses the b&w for Kansas, color for Oz device later done in the famous MGM musical.

Reader likes this.
  25. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Beautiful animation in that one but uhhm where is the Cowardly Lion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.