Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I made a change to my setup, I am very pleased at the outcome. My gear always sat on top of this biga$$ projection TV which is an all solid oak frame, weighs a ton so it has been great for isolation. The TV has not worked for years but due to it's insane weight I was not interested in dragging it out to the dump, so there it sat. I started thinking if I can gut it out I can add some shelves and move gear around so that I could accommodate my R2R deck, I never liked where it was anyways.....See pic below for the before.

[​IMG]

I was not 100% sure how it would turn out, so I just jumped in and tore into it. Really was not that bad. I took off the screen and removed the 3 lenses, and some wires revealing a very nice area to add the shelves. I installed some 18mm AC plywood for shelves and painted them black, same color as my record storage units. Moved the Parasound Hint (which I now use as a preamp), the CD player and phono preamp to the shelves "inside" the TV. Moved the R2R deck, connected everything back up and looks pretty dang good if I have to say so myself! All I need to do is get a backer board that will hide all the cables and it will be complete, as my wife said recycle and reuse!

Oh and it does sound better now! :laugh: And the after pics below....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dred, JUCO, bigal00769 and 63 others like this.
  2. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Nice.

I've got a couple special guitars (not that old, tho), and there's nothing like it when you find the right one.

Could a luthier/tech bring the D-18 to life, or have you tried already?

Sorry, don't mean to derail, but I'm a martin guitar guy waaaaay more than I'm an audiophile guy.

I'll hang up and listen.

3. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Love the Rush bobble heads!

Slippers-on, jonwoody and Catcher10 like this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I've never seen a TV repurposed as a gear rack before fantastic job and way to think outside the box! Well inside the box in this case. ;)

blind_melon1, Ntotrar, Tim 2 and 7 others like this.
  5. Jamison Anderson

Jamison Anderson Forum Resident

It's had some pretty serious repair work performed in the eighties due to being crushed by Alaska Airlines but I bet it could be massaged a little more.

terzinator likes this.
  6. Jamison Anderson

Jamison Anderson Forum Resident

That's pretty ingenious. I love it, looks great. Nice to have the R2r out so you can play it easier

bever70, jonwoody and Catcher10 like this.
  7. Catcher10

That was part of the end game. Get the R2R more accessible, and shorten the cables too.........!

jonwoody likes this.
  8. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Got the extra xlr cable, all hooked up and better spaced out....

Only 1 more piece to the puzzle and the system is complete, thats it for me, end game achievement. Should be about a week away.

Found some stands for the subs that should be perfect. Ordered

More room acoustics incoming soon also.

But happy with everything... pushed back in place
    [​IMG]

9. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

10. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Ahh, you went for the Rotel DT6000 and the Schiit Freya S. Nice. I have a Rotel RCD-1572MK2 CD so I'll be interested to learn how you like the Dt6000. I've also been eyeing the Freya S. Since my RCD-1572MK2 has balanced outputs I'm curious if there would be any increase in audio performance over RCA outputs. Let us know how you like the new gear.

11. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Awesome looking system... is this a secondary system? I know of your ever-popular system that was already an extra-awesome one!

timind and jonwoody like this.
  12. ChefBrunch

Yes, go with the balanced outputs on Rotel gear, I could tell the difference immediately once I hooked up to xlr

hifisoup likes this.
  13. ChefBrunch

Sub integration, sounds much better in person...

Stereo subs is the only way to go once you hear the difference....in this recording the bass is on the left and guitar on the right vocals are mono....amazing sounds like they are right there in front of you...3 blind mice recording, still has a little tape hiss on the recording, digital transfer

I up the bass control on the schiit Saga s part way through....

A little more room acoustic treatment will help but the recording is like that...a little open and echoed on the vocals.

I think yt videos take a little time to finish in their full quality, but I just record with my phone only.

The subs integration is great.

Slippers-on and jonwoody like this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

very cool idea and now you have a custom rack !
    now just gut the speaker area for even more storage. FYI we had a similar issue with an old projection set and Best Buy hauled it away for $75 bucks. money well spent.

jonwoody and Catcher10 like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

looks "crafty" ! is that your 4th system (or more) now :)

16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Very striking. Bet it sounds incredible.

17. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

This amazing system belongs to my friend and builder Jon Anderson. He usually checks things and makes any adjustments at home before bringing anything to my main room. Over the years we have found our ears to be very similar so it's nice.

18. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

[​IMG]

So many amazing systems here I'm a little shy about posting mine. It's modest but it makes me happy.

Despite being rear ported my Linton's do quite well with only 16.5"/42cm clear between the rear baffles and the wall - which I put down to a combination of it's low port tuning frequency and the fact that it clearly doesn't excite any room modes. One day - when I grow up (good luck with that I keep telling myself) - I'd like a dedicated listening space, but for now placement is dictated by domestic realities.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    JUCO, Binni, John Murray and 76 others like this.
  19. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

looks pretty awesome to me! :cool:

ultron9, wgb113, Just Outlaw and 4 others like this.
  20. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Thanks mate.... I like it :cool:
    Didn't I see you were asking about pairing your Linton's with a big McIntosh a few days back?
    I can highly recommend the pairing with Simaudio - made right in your home country :righton:

timind, jonwoody and James Bennett like this.
  21. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I’m not so sure about modest, you’ve got a really nice system and it’s beautifully set up. Super clean. This could be an ad for the Lintons, which I’m sure sound fantastic.

ultron9, April Snow, mreeter and 6 others like this.
  22. Redd House

Redd House If she dont love me no more I know her sister will

No less than a week ago we got rid of a Pioneer TV even bigger and nicer than that one that we've had around since the 80's. It still worked but had a permanent burned in stripe along the bottom of the screen where my dad would watch the stock ticker on CNBC go across everyday. It's just been sitting idle in a large storage closet here at the house for a couple of years. I wish I would've seen your post two weeks ago! Our garbage company sends around a garbage truck every two weeks for bulk items pickup. It broke my heart to see the old Pioneer hoisted in the back of that truck then crushed to pieces. We used to watch a ton of laserdiscs on it when both the TV and the discs were the business. Years of memories.

23. Catcher10

Maybe you can go buy another one.......:laugh:

24. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Thanks, very kind of you. I meant modest relative to some of the exotic and expensive gear people own and have shared pictures of in this thread. And some being in the lucky position of having dedicated spaces, etc... I'm on my second go around with this audio thing and this set-up is also modest compared against some of the stuff I used to own when I was at my most obsessive.

But as I said before - it's enough to make me happy - and it does. Those Linton's are a case in point.

Far from being either the most expensive or the most "hi-fi"/revealing/"impressive on first listen" speaker I've ever owned they will likely go down (in my personal audio history) as being the speaker that most connected me to the music in a way that most of the "detail first" speakers I've owned in the past haven't.

Merkinman, jonwoody, matro5 and 4 others like this.
  25. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

New speaker day for me to compliment the B&W's. EVO 4.4's.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]