Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

love your setup man— including the PJ poster, probably my favourite poster ever.

JeffMo likes this.
  2. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

[​IMG]
    This is where the noise goes in ......

[​IMG]

......and this is where it comes out!

New (old) amplifier on its way; Radford STA15 old....

3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

gorgeous speaks man. Would love to hear them.

jonwoody, Echoes Myron and myles like this.
  4. myles

Thank you.

They work so well with my Leak amp I had to go and change it about; I'll never learn!

James Bennett likes this.
  5. redwun

redwun Forum Resident

How are you guys posting pics? Tried to copy & paste personal pics from my saved files, N/G, tried to drag & drop from saved files, & I get "uploads are not available". Tried clicking image & insert icons, and it asks me for a URL. Can someone tell me the trick?

6. myles

Upload your pics to a site like Postimage then use the URL provided in the little picture icon popout.

7. redwun

redwun Forum Resident

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  8. mpw123

mpw123 Forum Resident

2023-11-15_16-49-12-1

Had to move the little Hk up to the office for some work in the living room. Broke the stylus on the P3 should
    get it back on Tues. with new/used dusk cover. the old one slide off onto the tonearm that caused the accident!

You guys have such organized setups - really nice - great systems !

9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Tube amps served a la carte.

In the center and running right now are a pair of Steve Leung's - which means VAS Audio - Citation 2 inspired amps. Running a pair of vintage Amperex EL34 tubes each, they are my daily drivers with a sweet, smooth, classic tube sound and 50 watts. On the sides are Atma-sphere MA-1 amps that are now 32 years old and serial#21. The amps in the 1991 review in The Absolute Sound which made the company were of serial #19. Upgraded during the pandemic by their designer, Ralph Karsten, who lives in St. Paul, they are OTL amps. They don't use an output transformer. Instead, they have 12 6AS7G tubes apiece, with each tube chugging along putting out 7.5 watts max, giving me double the power of the VAS amps. They run hot but sound frickin' awesome. I can switch from one pair to the other in 5 minutes, tops. Both are satisfying.

[​IMG]

10. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Or use Imgur: The magic of the Internet and select new post -- choose photo & drop it. Then move cursor into the picture rectangle (upper right) and select "copy link" & select "get share links." Then highlight the link that's listed as BBC Code (Forums) and copy the link. To post the picture in SHF, select "image" and paste what was copied -- you must manually delete the *img* at beginning & end of the file *img*.

Best to you Sir,

Bob

jonwoody likes this.
  11. redwun

redwun Forum Resident

Thanks for the help! Here are a few pics of my room: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Can I try and clarify his Warranty Registration Request -- Kevin does this for a few reasons. One to get the owner in his database and ensure sales are recorded from authorized distributors. Secondly and most important to Kevin is as can be seen by the questions he poses on the registration form:

a. How did you learn about VAC products? This is more or less informative for his wife who does all the marketing & flyers/manuals, etc.
    b. What other brands/models did you consider? Self-explanatory -- he's trying to understand his clientele.
    c. What made you decide on VAC?
    d. What else would you like us to know? I took that as a request a number of years ago to ask that he consider providing 12v input/output port triggers. Not sure if that resulted in anything, and not being a VAC historian, I can't say for 100% certainty that previous products had or did not have the 12v trigger ports. They do now though (didn't have them on a VAC Renaissance preamp I bought 10 years ago).
    e. Optional: what magazines do you read regularly: is again directed at marketing - what are folks reading and should he advertise in that literature?
    f. Optional: What are your favorite types of music and what format? Just a quizzical question.

Best to all,

Bob

P.S. Okay, back to regular programming.

[​IMG]

hippieben, bluemooze and jonwoody like this.
  13. ggergm

[​IMG]

I just had someone in a PM ask me what I thought of my Devore speakers. Here is my response:

I love the Devores. Absolutely love them. They are my last speakers, maybe easy to say at 70 years old, but I can't imagine a better sounding speaker that would fit in my room.

They are full range, which is one thing I really like. You wouldn't believe the stereo salesmen I ran into when I was shopping for speakers who told me that for $15K, I couldn't get a full range speaker. Excuse me? For $15K, they should make cocktails.

The Devore Gibbon X are a Cinemascope speaker, with a wide and tall soundstage. Sound regularly comes from outside the boxes or well above them. The Devores are the opposite of analytical. I wouldn't call them colored, either. Forgiving would be a good word. Everything is there, 100%, but if the recording isn't the best, I don't go running for the hills.

I've heard them described as a tad aggressive in their high frequency response. Hardly. I've owned a number of bright speakers. These ain't bright. To stay with a visual analogy, the Devores display a picture with the saturation control goosed just a hair. It makes the picture pop. The Devores, in both their tone and image, pop. Listening should be fun, right?

I also like they are a solid 8Ω speaker. They mate well with my Atma-sphere amps, which don't like a low impedance load.

On US AudioMart, there are a pair of black Gibbon X speakers for $9K. I bought mine used for that price a year ago. At that point, I had them on backorder from Devore for a year and a half. Coming out of the pandemic, the tweeter was made of unobtainium. I don't know its status now. The AudioMart speakers have been listed for a while. Maybe the seller would accept a lower offer.

14. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Great looking speakers I love Devores but more importantly how are you doing that image slideshow effect?!!

gabbleratchet7 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  15. ggergm

Through an antique Microsoft app. I'm amazed it even runs on Windows 11. The app is called GIF Animator. You can make your own .gif animations, selecting both the pictures and the time between changes. That time can vary from image to image.

It's available for free at many third party websites. Put GIF Animator in Google. Here's the first one that came up for me: link

16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Love your Tannoy's always wanted to hear them and they look so good!

myles likes this.
  17. hippieben

hippieben Senior Member

I like that, shows that he cares.

Jonpd, vintage_tube and jonwoody like this.
  18. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

I never thought I'd sell my Exposure XVI mono amps - I thought they would see me out: I've had them for the best part of 20 years. However, I needed to 'scratch an itch' and in doing so, they'll soon be on their way to a new owner:

[​IMG]20230321_145518

And here are the replacements:

[​IMG]20231114_170757

[​IMG]20231115_083106

[​IMG]20231115_115420

Exposure MCX mono power amps join my existing Exposure MCX pre. That's it: no more Farlowe-era Exposure in the house.

I suppose you could call it downsizing - 2 boxes instead of 4...

19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Finally ...someone with a disco mirrorball in his listening room :edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:! Beats those hippie lava-lamps by a mile :cheers:!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  20. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

+1 to that.

I think that's the phrase that explains a lot about this hobby and who we are here.

My signature line says (at the time of this writing) "what are we chasing"... rhetorically questioning all these upgrades and our restlessness surrounding the gear we use to listen to music. Wondering why we can't just relax and listen to the music and not let perfect be the enemy of the good. Like, where does it end?

But you hit the nail on the head.

Sometimes we just need to scratch the itch.

(I just scratched one, too. Just sold my "never to be sold" Harbeth 30.2 XDs to get a pair of decidedly different Klipsch Forte IV's. Not an upgrade, one would argue. But definitely an itch scratcher.)

Cars, guitars, bikes, watches, audio gear... gotta love it.

GyroT, jonwoody, SandAndGlass and 3 others like this.
  21. macster

macster Forum Resident

Umm

I hope this comes across as good intentions. That room is beautiful, could we please get some better shots?

M~

22. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Glad the Citation II Monos are working out for you, there are special. Combined with the Atma-sphere pair, I'm positive your DeVores are painting a beautiful picture. Huge bonus on helping heat your home on a cold Minnesota winter night as well :winkgrin:

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Beautiful room and system! I love it when people's pics show a view through a window.

Next time you get an itch though, try this:
    [​IMG]
    Much cheaper.

KSM91, macster, jonwoody and 6 others like this.
  24. box of frogs

Doesn't provide the same level of satisfaction though :)

jonwoody, timind and Glmoneydawg like this.
  25. box of frogs