Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Nice to see speakers pulled out to a more musical position. Very nice.

2. Doesn't setting that on your tone arm throw off VTF and thus also VTA? Or are you adjusting VTF to account for it?

3. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

Thank you! Yes those are Aerial model 6's - some of the finest imaging speakers I've ever owned.
    I use those little mini levels for my table and gear. To answer your questions, I have the VTA/VTF adjusted to suit the cartridge and the sound I desire. The picture might appear to show the tonearm back end up, but it's an optical illusion!

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Really nice setup - beautiful room - I like the that pokey - to place your kids in when they misbehave.

warp2600 and Dylan Terhune like this.
  5. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

my sonic frontiers line 1 preamp is in the shop for some repairs and upgrades... so for the time being i needed a back up... there wasn't really anything locally i thought was suitable so i went up to seattle and picked up a Rotel RC-972 preamp. i didn't know that much about it... but i did some research and it seemed to be a well regarded unit so i pulled the trigger on it... i was pleasantly surprised to find it's a bit more substantial than i had anticipated... really nice volume control and switches... and when you change inputs... you can hear some pretty heavy duty relays working in there... while it can't touch my Line 1 in performance... it is an adequate bench warmer... i also got a remote for it. i ended up getting the Rotel remote that controls the integrated amp from the same series. the pre-amp remote only controls the preamp but the integrated amp remote i got is full function and controls all rotel audio gear. tuners tape decks. amps cd players... anyway... i'll be selling it off when my preamp is back from the shop in the next month or two... i'll follow up with a link when it's for sale. ten years ago the Rotel would have been the nicest piece in my rig... now it's the weak link. funny, that.

[​IMG]

Kyhl, layman, 33na3rd and 18 others like this.
  6. Mccrip

Mccrip Forum Resident

Love the Krell Cd that thing is a beast

Dylan Terhune likes this.
  7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Move that record cabinet away from that HVAC vent!!! It will warp the records!!!!!! (Bad memories of exactly this situation)

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I'm glad the angle is the exact way you want it, the only reason I mentioned that is because after 2-3 months of owning my table, I realized that mine was indeed back end up, which I am changing today. We do not see many people with Aerial Loudspeakers, and for me they are some of the very best made, period. Their presentation is simply spectacular. I have owned the 10T for many years and I wanted to move to Michael's new design which will be coming out in a year or so, but I have not sold them yet as people want to buy them for $2,000.00 and that is just not going to happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kyhl, fcallington, 33na3rd and 12 others like this.
  9. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Yes, it probably does. I can assure you, I will go through the entire process and make sure the tracking forces is correct, once I have set the stylus angle. For those of us without an adjustable VTA on the fly, it's just all a big pain in the butt. Additionally, mine was slightly thrown off by the addition of the Hudson mat, which is just slightly thicker than the pad that came with the turntable. When getting that VTA correct, you really, really have to be careful to offset the VTF, where the gauge can sit right on top of the arm, with the stylus down in the grooves of the record, obviously very exacting to stay at or below the normal tracking force, as not to snap the cantilever. But, yes, everything has to be readjusted to insure all is correct. :righton:

10. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Thanks for your detailed reply. Like the fact they seem so adjustable to the room they’re in, also they are described as ‘mid field’ not ‘near field’ monitors. I’ve got a small listening space for the foreseeable, so if funds become available at some point may go down this route. Enjoy!

Oh, one quick idea/question - have you tried them the other way up with the bass drivers on the outside? Curious if that affects the soundstage at all.

11. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

No problem. Dynaudio describes them as a near-field or mid-field monitor, recommending a distance of 1.5m-2.5m from speaker to speaker and speaker to listener. Due to my small room size and their recommendation to situate them "woofers in" preferably I have them at the 1.5m range. I haven't experimented with them "woofers out" but perhaps I can add that to my measurement experiment I suppose! One would think it would shrink the soundstage somewhat being that it's 12" from the acoustic axis to the other side of the speaker, putting the tweeter & mid 2' closer to each other.

What speakers are you running currently?

Silverwolf likes this.
  12. defi_x

defi_x Well-Known Member

My modest contribution:

[​IMG]

- Iffy Thorens TD 203 turntable;
    - AT95ML cartridge;
    - Cambridge Audio Alva Solo phono pre-amp;
    - Harman-Kardon HK 620 integrated amplifier which I bought used on eBay;
    - Polk T50 speakers.

I guess I could call this my 'reference' system, this is what I settled upon after a bit of reading, research, a bit of trial and error, and on the budget. It brings me a lot of joy, I am finally able to enjoy playing records, and so I guess I will concentrate on that, and expanding my collection, and spend some time with the system before upgrading. I got help on this forum, and a lot of information, so thanks again for that.

13. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I’ve got some old Dynaudio Audience 52 standmounts - really not in the same class! But similar ‘blueprint’ somewhere I guess.

Also, I was wondering if the woofer was on the outside, and the speakers has less toe in, might work? Bass being less directional? Dunno just thinking out loud.

wgb113 likes this.
  14. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

Spinning Bobby Jaspar, nice!

Did you buy your gear second hand or new?

15. -Sphinx-

-Sphinx- OM - Ordinary Man

Very neat! But isn't this door too small for you.? ;)

16. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

Nah, he just got a huge system

17. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

I keep my pet Smurf locked up in there.

18. defi_x

defi_x Well-Known Member

Yes, a recent discovery of mine, courtesy of Sam Records. My first Sam LP was 'Afternoon in Paris' by John Lewis and Sacha Distel, another great record I was not aware existed (I spotted it watching Michael Fremer's video on Youtube), and since it turned out to be a great item I decided to buy some more from the label, one of the records was Bobby Jaspar.

Only the amp is second hand, rest of the kit was purchased new.

Wigru likes this.
  19. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

JUCO, 16hz lover, Kyhl and 47 others like this.
  20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, IF that's all your stuff (over the years) in the 'Audio Database' Photostream ... thanks for being an example for showing my wife !!! but seriously, I imagine the CS7 and 300 hopefully is the best system you've experienced?

21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That looks fantastic! Love the setup the gear and the credenza. Never heard of your speakers before but they look super cool.

16hz lover likes this.
  22. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

And is the verdict the Tri-Vista is an upgrade? Great looking setup!

Rick58 likes this.
  23. -Sphinx-

-Sphinx- OM - Ordinary Man

I can understand it very well although our lifestyles are quite different. I keep my Hulk in the kitchen (this is double wing door of course) :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

16hz lover, Kyhl, layman and 30 others like this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nice room. :edthumbs:

-Sphinx- likes this.
  25. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

That's some of it, lol. My wife is surprisingly tolerant. :D My ADS L2030's and associated gear are the best I've heard, but the Thiels are a close second!

Definitely an upgrade! Better all around from top to bottom.

Rick58 and jonwoody like this.