Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

I like your diffusors on the wall.

Dennis0675 and GKH like this.
  2. mgee

mgee Forum Resident

Hi, saw a GoldNote IS-1000. Just want to hear your opinion about it. Im thinking GN to drive my New Linton 85. Thx Mgee

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And that would be?

jonwoody likes this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

@Rolltide I came across a Luxman MQ-88uc on Audiomart which led me to read the Dick Olsher review in TAS. I didn't realize until reading that it's a pushpull triode amp now I know why it sounds so good! My amp is also a pushpull triode wired for EL34 types so I definitely appreciate that design.

Tim 2 and Rolltide like this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, they really hit it out of the park with the design of the MQ-88uC. On the surface, a tube-snob might think "a push-pull KT-88 amp? Ewwwwww!" but the execution is just sublime. It combines everything I like about SET with everything I like about having more power. I have absolutely no complaints at all with my current Leben RS-28cx preamp, but have concluded I'll eventually have to take a flier on the matching CL38uC preamp just to see what the combo can do.

Ontheone, Dennis0675 and jonwoody like this.
  6. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Speaker setup is a few weeks old..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dred, Jaytor, BluTorch and 87 others like this.
  7. jonwoody

:yikes: Those speakers and subs are monsters! Gorgeous room and setup I love it and a real Cali vibe! :righton:

Clonesteak likes this.
  8. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]

I tried one for a bit before deciding on something else. Was impressed with the build quality and thought it sounded good if a little clinical. That was a friends impression as well. Used both the DAC and phono pre.

9. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Killer set up. Did you put together the GR kits yourself? And how's the Achromat working for you? My 1200 is at KAB as we speak, wondering about mats for when it returns.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Game, set and match

BKphoto, RDriftwood, timind and 5 others like this.
  11. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Yup, I put the speakers together myself and it was a ton of work. It took me about 5 months to get it all together, life tended to get in the way. The only thing I didn’t do was build the crossover, my soldering skills were only beginner level at the start of the project and I didn’t want to risk ruining any of the components since COVID has put huge delays on replacement parts. I’m happy to say my soldering has gotten much better after wiring up everything.

The Achromat was from my old Thorens table. I do prefer it over the stock mat, but I haven’t compared it to anything else.

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Added a SUT thanks to the spiritual guidance of @Rolltide , it’s out of sight just behind the phono with the lid off. It’s staying off for a bit to accommodate some tube rolling that should be happening shortly.

I’m going to pull everything, add some wood sides to that Mac 4100 and rethink the equipment positioning.

undeR the table may be.....VPI ADS >MAC> Cambridge spinner/Rotell DAC stack and then the Phonostage on the bottom. I think I can pull off the phono that far from the table now that I have a SUT on 1 meter RCA’s. For looks, I think the MAC on top is the best option.

Kyhl, layman, Dan C and 24 others like this.
  13. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Thanks, that’s what I was going for! I think I need to add a few house plants, but I’m pretty much there.

Rick58, jonwoody and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

15. Ingres3225

Ingres3225 Forum Resident

I agree, looks great- what sort of music are you listening to on that set up? And, once you'd constructed the speakers and subs, did you get the sound you were looking for?

16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Great variation on the flexy-rack, fits the speakers perfect :righton:.

action pact, gguy, PhilBiker and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

As I finally managed to get pictures in here , why not placing them in here too[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JUCO, barfko, A_Lad_Insane and 59 others like this.
  18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Bravo!

19. jonwoody

Looks great those KEF's are gorgeous and nice to see some EC gear you don't see it that much these days! At least here in the US you don't.

WHitese and Mr.Sign like this.
  20. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I mostly listen to classic rock, rap, metal, and punk. What surprised me the most is how much better rap sounds, all the boomy bass is gone and everything tightens up. Vocals have much more weight and presence.

To be honest I took a leap of faith with these speakers. I had heard OB speakers before (Spatial M3 Turbo) and knew that was the direction I wanted to go in. I've read in various threads that once you hear OB bass you never go back, and I can confirm this. I don't want to make any big statements regarding the sound overall, as the crossover components need extensive burn-in (about 100 hours per GR) and I only have about 30 hours on the speakers.

As far as negatives go, the speaker system is very revealing and unforgiving of any weakness in the signal path. Speaker placement and room acoustics are very critical. Issues that I heard with my previous speakers that I was able to ignore are amplified much more, making it hard to ignore. I got a pretty good laundry list of items I need to work on. The good news is that with every positive change I make I yield much more in return.

Tim 2, Ingres3225 and pdxway like this.
  21. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Hi jonwoody,
    I think they (EC) have stopped their U.S. activity about a yeat ago

jonwoody likes this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    Hung some pictures during Isaias fallout yesterday

Kyhl, layman, GyroT and 36 others like this.
  23. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I am not usually one to request anything of anyone, but I humbly request you record your system playing the opening minute of Dead Prez's "Hip Hop" at the highest volume your nervous system can withstand.

Madness, action pact and jonwoody like this.
  24. Ventoux

Ventoux Forum Resident

Looks
    mine is gas with remote. I designed the mantel and gave my contractor a sketch. Samsung "Frame" TV above too.

Tim 2 and PhilBiker like this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You win.

apesfan, PhilBiker, bluemooze and 4 others like this.