Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

What are those on the sides of your TV (white/grey things)? Treatments or art? I legit can't tell.

2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I'm guessing in wall surround sound speakers.

Funky54 likes this.
  3. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Dartboards :D

Funky54 and jonwoody like this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

:cop: What is it with you and throwing pointy objects at audio equipment?

Craig, Jerk The Handle and jonwoody like this.
  5. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

Added a few more upgrades this year (I blame Covid..) just need to replace my speakers.

I really like the new Wharfedale Diamond 12.3's (£499) as they have a smaller footprint than my 230's also they have smaller bass/midrange drivers which may be more small room friendly(?)

Another option would be old stock and heavily discounted Q Acoustics 3050's however they are roughly the same size as my diamond 230's and might be a bit overpowering for a small room (3.5M x 3.0M)

Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JUCO, barfko, SandAndGlass and 48 others like this.
  6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Perhaps try stand-mount monitors in that space instead of floorstanders? Also what's the rest of your equipment? I can almost but not quite tell from your pics other than the P1. Love the cabinet system!

7. Bolster

Stand mounts are an option but I prefer floorstander's and I'm always concerned about losing too much bass weight, I'm not a bass junkie but I do like my music mellow.

My new additions are as follows: Audiolab 6000A, Audiolab 6000CDT and Rega Planar RP1

8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don’t know, the 230s seem to be designed for small to medium size rooms. Is there something about the sound you don’t like?

Seems the 230s were only £279.00, maybe you simply want to move up? Then sure, maybe/hopefully the newer/more expensive units would sound better.

Maybe see what your room will support bass-wise before making a final decision. The 230s or similar might be just right, going smaller MIGHT not be the greatest choice.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  9. Bolster

Sometimes the 230's seem to lack mid range, but mainly I would like to make the most of my new amp.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary. You're welcome ;)

[​IMG]

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Welllllllllll ... the Diamond 11.4 has the dedicated midrange, possibly would seem a little “big” for your room but if their sound can “gel” 2m away ...?

I assume you can plug ports to tame the bass if needed. Oops, slot-loaded port, but maybe there’s a plug provided? I bet it’d be fine as is.

Reviews

looks very good! Bass is down 10dB at ... well it seems to go lower than the 50Hz I originally thought, but bet it’d be OK. Of course betting with not my real money!

Your fundamental room mode is around 50Hz, so I still think things will be great. Not sure if bass rolls off below a room’s fundamental mode? But seems like it should reinforce the bass as the speaker rolls off ... then below 50Hz might diminish a bit, but there’ll be some number of Hz below this where nice bass is discernible. If your current speakers seem fine, seems to me even a bit larger/lower bass speaker would still be ok.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sorry, one more comment! I LOVE that you have the speakers out in the room a bit. This kind of reinforces the notion that the larger speaker might still work great, as it won’t get a big bass boost from being close to a wall/corner. Which in this case is a good thing.

Plus the imaging and depth of soundstage are better ... always a plus in my book.

Seems like not much toe in is recommended, as the 11.4s seem maybe a little hot on axis in the highest treble. But of course this is part of the adjustment process. I always end up with speakers pointing straight at my head ... :D

Bolster likes this.
  13. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

You mean the earlier comment about the japanese themed listening room and ninjas? They can have throwing stars after all :)

AlmanacZinger and jonwoody like this.
  14. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Tough to beat. I dragged them next to watt puppies and in all sincerity wanted to really like them. I expected the Watt Puppies to be a big step up. After moving them all over the place and messing with toe in and toes out... the Alon's were simply better in every way. Taller and deeper sound stage, more natural ambient sounds. I don’t even think the Watt Puppies had better bass detail. I think my Alon’s are ugly, no wife appeal and yet I really can’t find anything I like better that I could afford.

timind, Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  15. Funky54

Those are Triad silver in wall speakers for my 5.1.4 Home theater. I keep two channel completely separate from home theater now.

AlmanacZinger and Rick58 like this.
  16. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Love those Alons too. They remind me of the killer KEF 105s of yesteryear that I coveted.

timind and Rick58 like this.
  17. jonwoody

I ran a pair of Alon Lotus SE's for a few years until we moved to a smaller space. They were killer speakers in a M+ sized room running on tubes. The GF HATED them called them the "big ugly black sock things".

timind likes this.
  18. Funky54

:doh:

jonwoody likes this.
  19. jonwoody

Thinking about it made me google my speakers and up came the classic AD Listener review that sold me on them. I'll paste the link here because we all could use a little Art Dudley in our lives methinks.

Alón Lotus SE - Listener

33na3rd and Funky54 like this.
  20. Funky54

jonwoody likes this.
  21. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Taking a Whest phono stage out for a test drive, and breaking in some new Nordost cables. Sounding great! I'd never seen or heard of Whest products before...
    [​IMG]

Dred, JUCO, KariK and 73 others like this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The Road. Devastating and beautiful (metaphorically).

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Nice pic of a music hall, but I think this thread is for in-home listening spaces only.

24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Lovely room! Whest has been around a long time. Great products. They had a hot seller years ago..the Whest two phono stage which was their entry level.... all of their photo stages are excellent. They have a great product.

Jerry James likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream