Post-Rock Groups

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor/Victrola, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Slowdive, mostly being seen as shoegaze, but one of their albums ('Pygmalion' out of 1995) is a jewel in post-rock sound:

Listen and admire the song! :)

Dudley Morris, Pop_Zeus and dzhason like this.
  2. Pinetree

Pinetree New Member

I think that Beacons of Ancestorship as an album is quite good as well.

Yes I think they defiantly do. As great as all their work is, that ST EP is just perfection.

Willowman likes this.
  3. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

This topic need to be stuck in front line...

Introduced in by Sigur Ros and of course God Is An Astronaut somewhere between 2009 and 2011... but now i'm in for Explosions In The Sky and some unknown bands...
    "If These Trees Could Talk" is a new find for me, good stuff here too

strummer101 likes this.
  4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So would that make them post-post-rock?... ;)

Stone Turntable and HiredGoon like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Off the poll I only know Mogwai, and also only their first album which is an amazing work.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  6. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

7. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

8. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

hamicle and zphage like this.
  9. mogwai3

mogwai3 Well-Known Member

10. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Saw MONO in London recently as part of Robert Smith's Meltdown festival and was completely blown away by the intensity of their performance. Will definitely have to find a way to see them again when they tour Europe in October.

Pop_Zeus and jalexander like this.
  11. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Hi all, new to the forum and wanted to declare myself a huge fan of post rock type stuff. Mono really are superb. I picked up their debut without hearing a note of it, reading a review or anything; solely based on a line about the band in the tiny Temporary Residence catalogue in an EITS CD I'd bought, which read something like: 'Instrumental rock from Tokyo. Speaker destroying highs and soul crushing lows. The loudest, most beautiful noise your ears can stand.' Soon after I saw the debut CD and upon reading the promotional sticker on the sleeve I knew I'd love it. I've seen them live twice and both times they were incredible. First time was just days before 'Hymn to the Immortal Wind' came out. I can still remember the goosebumps from hearing Pure As Snow for the first time. Their new album 'Nowhere / Now Here' is out 25 Jan, recorded by Steve Albini who did some of their other albums too. About to celebrate their 20th anniversary. I'd have no hesitation in telling any post rock fans who aren't familiar with Mono to go out and buy every one of their albums.

For me, these are the top tier active post rock bands who I'd buy their new albums without thinking:

Mono
    Godspeed You Black Emperor
    Mogwai
    Russian Circles
    Caspian
    Explosions in the Sky
    This Will Destroy You
    Pelican

Isis
    Slint
    Talk Talk
    Bark Psychosis
    (all unlikely to release anything again)

I enjoy the following as well, but to a lesser degree:

Hammock (used to buy everything, not heard anything since 'Everything and Nothing' though. Had a shipping issue with a pre-order to UK which was never resolved so won't order direct from their site and I still haven't got the CD I paid for over a year ago)
    Yndi Halda
    Gregor Samsa
    If These Trees Could Talk
    The Evpatoria Report
    Saxon Shore

craigobau likes this.
  12. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

Anyone on here ever listen to Beautiful Lunar Landscape (from Bordeaux, France)? They were around for a few years in the 2005-2008 timeframe, and sadly broke up. Their debut EP was astounding...I wish I could find it anywhere, I still have the mp3's but figured I'd through it out here to see if I was completely alone on this one.

13. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Beautiful, no more. The infinite pleasure of being, by Lunar Landscape

14. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

I saw that but they changed the lineup, almost entirely from what I recall...Benjamin Ling was the old vocalist and he really made that prior band for me...albeit they were mostly about the atmospheric guitars.

15. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I voted for Godspeed. They need to be seen live to be fully appreciated, IMO.

This album is spectacular, as are the stories behind each of the songs.

Pop_Zeus and calgary669 like this.
  16. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

E
    Love the opening track! Just sampling on Spotify and loving what I am hearing so far.

Unfortunately it looks like the CD is OOP. (Correction, there’s a few left of the band’s Bandcamp!)

17. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'd definitely recommend checking out the stories behind each song.

calgary669 likes this.
  18. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

New Mono out this month !

19. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

This stuff is what I would call ambient (or how about toy town wallpaper music:D).

21. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I was just recently listening to the latest Foxhole album on youtube, Well Kept Thing, which is some very nice melancholy winter post-rock (* see below), and this one below came up after that, looks to be pretty popular with listeners, think I've listened about 4 or 5 times now, "Clouds" by Nevemind the Name, haven't listened to any of his other stuff yet but this one is really nice ...

* from Wikipedia ...
    In early 2010, Foxhole announced plans to return from their 4-year long hiatus and record a new album; drummer Chris Vicari (formerly of Nashville post-rock group Maps) replaced Torrence around this time. The band set to work recording at Nashville's Brown Owl Studio in October 2010, with former drummer Torrence serving as lead engineer; however, due to a variety of life events that saw the members disperse to locales including Austin, TX, Louisville, KY and New York City, the sessions were left to simmer for the next few years.

In December 2016, Foxhole gathered back in Bowling Green to revisit the recordings, undertaking rearranging and additional recording at Tyler Cook's The Refinery recording studio just blocks away from Shepherd's home; Leppert recorded the final portions in a cabin in Cambridge, Mass., in April 2017. The finished album, Well Kept Thing, was released on Sept. 22, 2018 on Burnt Toast Vinyl. It was mixed by Grammy-winning engineer Stephen Roessner, and mastered by Shellac's Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering Service. In December of 2018, Well Kept Thing was nominated for a Grammy for "Best Recording Package."[1]

craigobau likes this.
  22. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Mono from Japan

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I looked this up on the Canadian Amazon but haven’t found anything as of yet.

24. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

January 25 ... Nowhere Now Here, by MONO

Pop_Zeus and calgary669 like this.
  25. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I always liked Do Make Say Think.