Post-Rock Groups

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor/Victrola, Feb 5, 2017.

1. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

Red Sparrowes - at the soundless dawn ... remember that being a good one .

jonnyhambone and Pop_Zeus like this.
  2. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Yes, got their first 2 and kinda lost touch. Some of the most ridiculous song titles you have ever seen !

FredHubbard likes this.
  3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Tarentel - From Bone To Satellite -- I mentioned this album before, one of me fave post-rock albums, containing long evolving songs with a hint of prog. The 12 minute opener Steede Bonnet and the 21 minute For Carl Sagan are particular highlights. This is the expanded 2CD edition, some of the bonus tracks are a bit experimental but the original album is all that matters. Currently available as "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp just for today.

--Geoff

Beamish13, hamicle and craigobau like this.
  4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I've been on a post-rock binge since the beginning of the year when I discovered Departure Songs by We Lost The Sea after having previously pretty much only really listened to MONO, Godspeed and Sigur Ros.

I've found some fantastic albums (below) which are probably nothing new to a lot of the people on this thread, but I've been so impressed with what these bands have done:

Caspian - Dust & Disquiet and On Circles
    Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
    Silent Whale Becomes A Dream - Requiem and Canopy
    This Will Destroy You - S/T and Young Mountain

I'm currently spending some time with the Mogwai and Thee Silver Mt. Zion back catalogues as well as the This Will Destroy You albums after S/T. Across all three bands, I've got lots of keep me busy for coming weeks/months, probably indoors!

Miles1968 and Pop_Zeus like this.
  5. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Great to see some love for those bands. Caspian’s Waking Season is great too, as is everything before it really. I have a couple of early A Silver Mt Zion albums but prefer GYBE and don’t feel compelled to buy all of ASMZ’s output.

Enjoy Eternal Bliss (4 track version) is such a great album, that hardly anyone seems to know about. Put it on, turn off the lights, then just lie back and relax and let it wash over you.

TWDY are really interesting. After S/T they went quite bleak and Tunnel Blanket is a bit harder to listen to than the early stuff. Uncompromising I guess. I haven’t played Another Language all that much and still haven’t got round to buying New Others Parts 1&2 but I’d like to. Young Mountain & S/T are so good though.

I really think you’d like Russian Circles. A bit heavier but still instrumental. Try Station or Geneva albums first perhaps. I don’t mind Isis but have a low tolerance for screaming and that kind of vocal, though musically I love Panopticon & Oceanic especially.

6. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

I found this today:

Nevermind the Name- "Weal Unto Him Who Has a Home"

7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Love this very early MONO track, even if it's basically just a rip-off of Mogwai Fear Satan!

nosliw and Pop_Zeus like this.
  8. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Big fan of Mono. The next song up on the debut, The Kidnapper Bell, is awesome too

craigobau likes this.
  9. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I've always liked this album by *shels

10. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

If you like piano in your post-rock

Beamish13 likes this.
  11. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

@Pop Zeus very good choice!

I’ve been listening to the Hey You ep and Under The Pipal Tree album a lot over the past few weeks and finding lots to enjoy.

They are a different sound to where the band is today, but I love the raw power of these songs.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  12. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

13. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

Not sure if this one was mentioned but I cannot stop listening to Departure Songs by We Lost the Sea. It’s such an amazing album and the stories that go along with it are insane!

Kate_C. likes this.
  14. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

IMO, it’s one of the best ever post-rock albums.

It’s a very intense listen, and the two-part “Challenger” ending is a hugely emotional finish.

iworkatinitech likes this.
  15. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

Caspian, especially Dust and Disquiet

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

BradB and Pop_Zeus like this.
  17. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Saw them live once. Amazing.

18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The livestream of the new GY!BE album from yesterday showing the films/projections accompanying the songs;

iworkatinitech and jalexander like this.
  19. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

A Winged Victory for the Sullen is incredible

20. Purdieshuffle

Purdieshuffle Forum Resident

Jambinai are excellent especially live (it was my teenage son’s first gig, still not convinced he knows how cool this makes him).
    Also one of my favourite post rock albums is by Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start ‘ And the Battle is Won’ , they become known as UpCDownC but nothing they did later comes near to this album.

Beamish13 likes this.
  21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I saw Do Make Say Think, Pelican, and Mono live and they're all great live. Mono, especially, was truly memorizing and I was lucky to see them right in front of their show.

I recommend picking up Hymn to the Immortal Wind double LP remaster by Bob Weston. The packaging and sound quality is top notch stuff.

Pop_Zeus and jalexander like this.
  22. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

Really regretting not buying the vinyl when it was announced

23. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Just thought I would put this up as it's a great resource for instrumental post-rock / ambient music. I used to love the website 'The Silent Ballet' for its end of year lists and got into a few of the slightly more obscure bands through the site. One day I went to the site and it was effectively dead, but they said that an archive of the older lists etc, would go up at some point. So, the archive of end of year lists is now up.

The Silent Ballet: Archive

Navigate the years from the list on the left. Also going forward they are now called 'Fragile or Possibly Extinct' :

http://fragileorpossiblyextinct.com/

Plenty of reading on those old AOTY lists & reviews for those of you with time to kill.

Beamish13 and Miles1968 like this.
  24. drds89

drds89 atmosphericpostrockprogmetaldoomdronedreamgaze

Caspian

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  25. drds89

drds89 atmosphericpostrockprogmetaldoomdronedreamgaze

I'm changing to a 3 way tie with Russian Circles and Rosetta

Along with Godspeed, Sigur Ros, The Seven Mile Journey, Daturah, Mogwai (but they deny being post-rock lol) etc

Pop_Zeus likes this.