Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

I don't think I have any on the list, but I do have some of the period (for instance, I have the Abacab Target, which doesn't seem to have it, but not the self-titled Genesis Target, which does seem to have it)

Some of these titles I have only ever had on CD, so I am not sure I'd know what I am supposed to be hearing anyhow.

I have xACT for the Mac, which seems to be their version of EAC. I have made and decoded FLAC files using this and burned in Toast. I have never had an issue making disc images with Toast though either

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

It seems to me a better approach with some catalog series would be to list the ones which don't have preemphasis. At least with 35DPs, and perhaps CP35? I pretty much assume that a 35DP is going to have preemphasis unless it's otherwise demonstrated.

I recently went through my 35DPs and found that these do not have PE:

Footloose (soundtrack) - 35DP-129 (already mentioned here)
    Weather Report - Domino Theory - 35DP-140

I was starting to think that PE disappeared above some particular number, but I have Barbra Streisand's Greatest Hits v2, 35DP-161, and that does have PE.

By the way, as far as I know, there is no reason to make a distinction between Japan-for-Japan or Japan-for-USA 35DPs; as long as it's in the matrix, then they are the same disc.

3. deanswift58

deanswift58 New Member

Both the Japanese 1st Pressing and 2nd Hong Kong pressing of MJ's Thriller have PE.

Also is it just me, or does Springsteen's/Born in the USA sounds better with "forced" DE than flat?

4. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms has PE

I have Suede's debut album and I think it sounds better with "forced" PE than without PE too.

5. Downsampled

Can you be specific? The first DADC (USA) and PolyGram (West Germany) pressings do not.

6. boiledbeans

See this topic I posted on HA last year.
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=64289

I have a US pressing (not sure if it's the first) and EAC can't detect PE on that disc.

7. Downsampled

Too bad the highfidelityreview link in that thread is broken. (Is the whole site gone?) This statement makes me skeptical about the article:

I've never heard of PE being "hard-coded" into an album master. It's something that goes into the CD master, which is something quite separate. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I don't use EAC to detect PE. I have an old Denon player which helpfully displays when it detects PE. It is far more reliable that EAC, iTunes, or any other software I've seen. It hasn't been proven wrong yet with a variety of PE'd discs -- the notorious Toshiba Abbey Road, for example.

I don't have the original Vertigo disc that is mentioned in that thread. My WG disc might be the same; it has the erroneous, reversed channels that has been discussed elsewhere here. In any case, neither of my discs is shown to have PE by my player.

Son of a Zombie likes this.
  8. boiledbeans

9. Downsampled

Thanks... maybe the server was just down last night when I tried it.

So my suspicions were apparently wrong, because it does indeed sound like the pre-emphasis went straight onto the digital multitrack source for that album! This is still nearly unbelievable to me, but then again I am a novice about this stuff, and the people in the article are professionals. :sigh:

I have a lot of questions about this now and am inclined to start a new thread about it specifically. The production process described there -- with the numerous conversions between digital and analog -- is crazy!

Details on the reversed channels are here.

10. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Interesting thread. So is it true that Low-Life by New Order has pre-emphasis? Interesting, because according to Discogs, the Factory release of that disc didn't come out until 1986. I thought pre-emphasis was pretty rare by that point, all things considered.

Also, seems to be a pretty big absence here: all of the early CDs of Thriller that I've heard appear to have pre-emphasis. I've A/B'd them versus the 2001 brickwall master and the treble is just out of control. Listen to the beginning of Billie Jean to see what I mean. Can't confirm it for 100% certain (surprised not to see it in the list, for one, but Off the Wall is on it) - don't have a player that detects it and haven't checked with EAC, so if anyone can do it to verify, add it to the list!

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Santana- Abraxas 35DP-58 it's all hiss without "de-emphasis"!

Creative Sounds S/T.[/QUOTE]
    The Blue Nile - Hats (1989 US; Linn/A&M CD 5284) [PROMOTIONAL stamp on label]
    Ultravox - Vienna / CCD 1296 (UK Chrysalis)
    Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells WG CDV 2001 and Japan VJD-23001
    Men At Work-Cargo CK 38660(U.S) and 35 8P-16(both have PE)
    Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down (US Motown)
    Lionel Richie-Can't Slow Down (Motown MCD 06059MD Japan for U.S. CD)
    Black Sabbath Master of Reality Castle NELCD 6004, supposedly
    Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery (Made in Austria, epic 450083 2, JET-500 11) but also the "non-TO, with CDP" pressing.

Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Bruckner: Symphony No.4 - CBS/Sony 35DC 117
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Bruckner: Symphony No.9 - CBS/Sony 35DC 114
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No.2 - Columbia MK 42021 / 35DC 86
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No.3 - Columbia MK 42022 / 35DC 87
    Bruno Walter/New York Philharmonic Orchestra - Mahler: Symphony No.2 - 2CD, CBS/Sony 56DC131~132
    Mahler: Symphony 3 - Norma Procter (contralto)/London Symphony Orchestra/Jascha Horenstein - 2CD, Unicorn-Kanchana UKCD 2006/7

Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess - CBS/Sony 35DP 61
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain - Columbia CK 08271 / 35DP 63
    Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine - CBS/Sony 35DP 65
    Miles Davis - Miles in Tokyo - CBS/Sony 35DP 67
    Miles Davis - Miles in Berlin - CBS/Sony 35DP 68
    Miles Davis - E.S.P. - CBS/Sony 35DP 69
    Miles Davis' Kind of Blue on Columbia CK 08163 / 35DP 62 does not have PE
    Miles Davis - In a Silent Way - CBS/Sony 35DP 70 does not have PE

Jethro Tull - Under Wraps - Chrysalis 610 203 made in West-Germany (1984)
    Michael Jackson - Off the Wall - Epic/Sony Records ESCA 5407 made in Japan

Feel free to quote this message and add to the list any new findings, that way. we'll have an up to date list [/QUOTE]

12. Zilog Jones

Zilog Jones Member

Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement (Virgin CDV 2208, 1987)
    Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap (Virgin CDV 2253, 1988)
    Human League - Dare (Virgin CDV 2192, 198?)

None of these are detected by EAC but playback without de-emphasis sounds awful.

Judging by these and the Tubular Bells CDV 2001 maybe this was common with early Virgin releases? Mike Oldfield's Crises CDVIP 118 may also have pre-emphasis but I'm not certain (don't have the CD on me but FLACs I have here sound very tinny).

Pre-emphasis was common enough with early digital recordings due to poor ADCs and some recording systems only using 14 bits (more quantization error). However just because the masters had emphasis does not necessarily mean the CDs will. Sample rate convertors did not exist in the early days of digital audio, so if the master wasn't 44.1 kHz (probably would have been 48, 50 kHz or 50.4 kHz) I guess there probably would have been an analogue step between the original masters and the CD masters, which could have also included de-emphasis. It's stuff like that which make SPARS codes ("AAD", "ADD", etc.) potentially misleading.

Some more info here: http://www.rogernichols.com/EQ/EQ-2003-07-08.htm

13. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Billy Joel - Piano Man - CDCBS 80719 Japan for Europe with 35DP-109 in the matrix.

Note this only showed Captain Jack (Track 10) with pre-emph util I looked at the TOC Manually

This is not on Jason Directors list he checked (Post 5) but not sure if he looked at the TOC's.

14. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Billy Joel - Piano Man - CDCBS 80719 Japan for Europe with 35DP 109 in the matrix

Miles Davis - Agharta - 50DP 237~8
    ..I'll go through all of the Miles 50DP sets in the next few days, I suspect they all have PE

Miles Davis - The Man With The Horn - 35DP 16
    Miles Davis - Star People - 35DP 55
    Miles Davis - Four and More - 35DP 66

Miles Davis - Decoy - 35DP 170 does not have PE

15. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Well I checked all the Double CD Japan first pressing Miles Davis 50DP discs and only those with 50DP 2xx matrix have PE. All those with 50DP 7xx do not have PE.

The main reason I'm continuing to look at these is I have been ripping all my CD's to a music server and don't use iTunes to rip. I then need to de-emphasize the tracks to get them to sound correct when played back from the hard drives.

Here's the info from the thread semi alphabetically:

16. Glad to see this thread alive and kicking.

I'm busy compiling my known pre-emphasis CDs into a spreadsheet. So far I have 70 with likely little overlap with this thread's list as it stands. :)

Once it's complete I'll add the contents to the list here.

-s1m0n-

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

REM-Document has pre-emph. Don't have the cat# handy at the moment.

I'm still hoping to find a super-easy way to get my pre-emph CDs into flac (w/proper de-emphasis). There seem to be a few ways, but all are fairly complicated for someone lacking computer savvy.

18. Zilog Jones

Zilog Jones Member

I've attached a batch file for de-empahsis with SoX - extract this file into wherever you installed SoX, then to use it just drag and drop the files you want to de-emphasize onto the batch file. The converted files will be created in a folder called "converted" within the directory where SoX is. Hope this makes things a bit easier for you (if you're a Windows user) :)

Attached Files:

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks, that would be great!

Thanks! the more de-emph methods we have, the better! :righton:

20. rym9

rym9 Member

does black sabbath - paranoid 33pd 1st japanese pressing have pre-emphasis?

when i ripped it in EAC it said it didn't but i just wanted to make sure

thanks!

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

You sure about this?

1987 seems a bit late in the game to still be using pre-emph...

22. I have to wonder too. I was doing lots of R.E.M. shoot out work earlier this summer and checked a lot of R.E.M. CDs and none of them showed it. jh901, what is your method of checking for PE?

-s1m0n-

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I ripped it to flac, so any de-emphasis would not occur. I may be mistaken, but my first listen to 32DP-842 was the basis for this conclusion. The flac is terribly bright and nothing at all like what I'd hoped for. I haven't yet stuck the disk in the CD player, so maybe that's the best it will be? The MFSL Murmur is terrific in contrast.

Is there a fool proof method to detect the flag?

Also, which cat#'s were you guys using?

24. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Use version .95pb3 of EAC (put it in a different directory from your newer version).

If pre does not show up when the disc loads it still may have pre-emphasis. Some TOC's were deliberately altered as an anti-copy measure.
    Select the songs, then Action/TOC Alterations/Detect TOC Manually the pre flag may show up that way.

The old EAC software is avalable here:
    http://www.rjamorim.com/rrw/eac.html

25. What Paul said.

I always run that "detect ... manually" step just in case (the keystroke shortcut is Alt > A > M > M). I'm finding, as I'm cataloging PE CD's that around 25% have the PE flags in the Table of Contents whereas the rest are in the sub channels meaning, roughly 75% won't show up as having PE in that earlier version of Exact Audio Copy unless you were to perform that "Detect TOC Manually" step.

My PE list/spreadsheet is currently up to 137 titles...

-s1m0n-