Pre-tape Era Recording Methods

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rew, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rew

Rew New Member Thread Starter

On CD releases of material that pre-dated the use of magnetic tape, there often is a notation that the material was transferred from 16" 33 1/3 rpm acetate session discs. Now, I was always under the impression that recordings back then were cut "direct to disc." That is, directly onto the 78 rpm wax disc that was used to produce the metal parts that would manufacture the 78 rpm shellac pressings. Is that the way it was done, or did they record the session onto those 16" 33 1/3 rpm discs and then dub the "choice" take onto the 78 rpm wax master?

Does anyone here know? Steve, I thought since you've worked with material from that era from time to time, you might have some idea of how it worked back then.

Thanks

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Welcome.

I could write a book on this one subject, and have you all snoozin', so I won't.

Pre-tape era stuff 1925-41 was recorded direct to disc on thick wax 78 RPM blanks.

After the recording "ban" of 1942-43, many record companies, like Decca, RCA-Victor, Columbia and the new upstart, Capitol, also started "covering" their sessions with 16" backup discs that contained ALL the takes and false starts.

Sometimes, depending on the time and engineer, some 78's were cut from the 16" (mainly at Columbia). Other companies always pressed the direct 78 cut.

I could go on forever....

:)

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

16" transcription disks were first used to store or time delay radio shows, I think starting in the early or mid 30's (they could hold about 15 minutes per side). Many reissues have come from symphony broadcasts recorded onto these disks.

Columbia records started using modified 16" recorders for their sessions in the late 30's or early 40's. They would then dub the chosen takes (along with some EQ and even echo) onto the 12" laqures for production.

Lacqures that went into production were destroyed by the plating process, but many of the original 16" transcription disks survived. Sony restored some of these in their Masterworks Heritage CD series with sometimes amazing results. Reissue producers have to make due with metal stampers or even clean consumer 78's for reissues of most recordings from the pre-tape era.

As far as I know, Columbia was the only major label recording at 33 1/3 on a regular basis, while I know that RCA at least experimented with the NBC orchestra broadcasts. Columbia might have been thinking ahead to the LP or something like it.

Dan C

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Actually Steve, you wouldn't have me "snoozin'"!:D I'd love to know more if you have the time!
    Dan C

5. Steve Hoffman

What do you want to know, Dan?

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

If you're interested in any sort of early recording techniques, pay this site a visit: www.shifrin.net My buddy Art is a professional restorer of audio of all types - wire recordings, cylinders, and all kindsa oddball formats that are long forgotten are salvaged by Shiffy. Tell him Mike Nickel sent you and ask away!!! :D

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Well, I never knew that 16" was used as backup. So are there hundreds of pristine 16" disks somewhere holding golden age big band music that we've never heard?

I'm fascinated by the old technology. The engineers had quite a few hurdles to overcome. I remember reading some story somewhere that mentioned the "pungent smell of bees wax" during recording sessions at an orchestra's home hall (since the wax had to be heated in ovens before recording).

I dunno Steve, you really should write a book or two. On your free time of course ;)
    Dan C

8. Steve Hoffman

Most studios used the 16's as backups only because they felt that the 78 direct recording method sounded the best.

Columbia didn't, and if you play any Columbia 78 from the 1940's that was cut from the 16" you will notice a lack of dynamics and life.

Of course, all the major labels had their own version of the "Standard EQ Curve" so, things got a little confusing.

1930's Victors sound the best to me, along with the Old Columbia company stuff from 1925-29.

Anyone still awake?

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Well I guess this topic is a bit prehistoric for most folks, but thanks much for the info. I also love the sound of Victors from the 30's.

Thanks again,
    Dan C

10. Rew

Rew New Member Thread Starter

<< Anyone still awake? >>

I am, and thanks for the information. This stuff fascinates me.

So with some exceptions, such as the ones you've mentioned, standard procedure, from about 1943 until tape came along in the late '40s, was to record both 78 rpm wax masters and 16" 33 1/3 rpm discs during a session. The 78 rpm was used to produce the metal parts and the 33 1/3 rpm was used for playback reference during the session. Have I got it right?

By the way, Steve, congratulations on JUDY IN LOVE/ALONE. It was a great mastering job. You've actually succeeded in making it possible for me to listen to JUDY IN LOVE in stereo and enjoy it!

Randy

11. Steve Hoffman

Hi Randy,

Yes, you have it right. One was for processing, one for a ref, and as a backup, just in case.

In the case of Decca, SOMETIMES, if you look on the leadout, you will see a WW after the master number, this indicates that this master was DUBBED from the 16" World Broadcasting vertically recorded transcription "cover". These never sound as good as the real direct cuts.

Glad you liked the Judy In Love. I did my best!

12. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Steve, I think this stuff is riveting, and if you can't be prevailed upon to "write a book", I'd like to know what else I can read about 78/early LP recording.

13. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

In the late 50's and early 60's my neighbor in NYC had a home 78 recording machine. We would cut all the kids in the building playing their individual instruments. I still might have one or two of me on the squeeze box. When we used a modern mic the results were quite good actually. Anyone else ever see one of these toys? He also had a 16 inch turntable and hundreds of 16 inch transcription recordings and some sounded real fine indeed. Bet blanks are impossible to find any longer. At one time he was a radio network executive of some sort and an owner of the Minn Twins (and handed out free tickets to the world series to the kids in the building whenever the Yanks were in the series, right over the Yanks dug out). Bet they don't do that any longer. I think the DAT has his recorder beat in the sound quality department.

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Never saw a home 78 cutter in person, but there is an episode of "The Honeymooners" with one being used - its the one where Ralph wants to apologize to Alice for calling her mother a blabbermouth after she gave away the ending of a play he was going to see. Norton offered to make a record of Ralph apologizing to Alice and mail it to her mother (where she was staying). Problem was, Norton mailed out the record with the "wrong take" of Ralph's apology, which had him calling his mother-in-law a blabbermouth again. Later on Norton hand delivered the record with the "right take" of Ralph's apology.

MMM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.