Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I used Betamax for a long time, probably 10 years of various models throughout the 1970s and early 1980s. Then switched to S-VHS around 1986-1987, stuck with that for some time, with the addition of Laserdisc (playback only). We also had C-band and Ku-band satellite systems for viewing and sometimes recorded them with S-VHS. (And I used the pro 3/4" system as well on occasion.)

Then we replaced Laserdisc with DVD in 1997, followed closely by recordable DVD. The DirecTV DVR came out around 1996-1997, and we switched almost entirely to that for our off-air recordings, capturing the content to digital files on hard drive. DirecTV HD satellite came out around 2001, and we started recording that only on the DVR (and again off-loading to hard drive for permanent copies). We've since augmented that with Apple TV, as well as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and CBS All Access streaming.

So, yeah -- you could say I've been recording shows for a few years. And I haven't been a prisoner of the TV schedule for a long time. But I still prefer to see big movies in a theater with an audience, because nothing can quite equal that experience -- especially when it's done well.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That was my trajectory too, except I guess you are a bit older then me..lol...I didn’t start until SVHS (but recorded mainly on Hi-8). But I’ll raise you a CED player, which were so incredibly bad that all you could do was laugh while the picture skipped. But I had a ton of laserdiscs too, and still have about 50 I keep for sentimental reasons. I only got CED because the discs were so much cheaper than laserdiscs...and with good reason. CED came and went like the wind. Glad to see good support for blu-ray from the studios. I will not go to 4K until forced. I’m not convinced they are going to see the general public support 4K dvd as blu-ray is perfectly fine imo. Enough with the upgrades already, and buying the same movies repeatedly. Blu-ray truly is good enough!

3. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

the film attempts to explain how trump happened and moore proposes that the mishandling of the flint water crisis by democrats depressed voter turnout in 2016.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Wow, I did not foresee Disney having a huge bomb with this Nutcracker and the Four Realms movie...

Friday Box Office: 'Nutcracker' Bombs, 'Nobody's Fool' Disappoints

In other newbie news that isn’t Bohemian Rhapsody, Walt Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms earned just $5.619 million on Friday. That sets the stage for an over/under $20m opening weekend, which is a grim result for the poorly-reviewed and buzz-free $130m fairy tale adventure. This movie, directed by Lasse Hallstrom who was replaced by Joe Johnston (they share directing credits), was something of a test case. After a few years of mostly successful Walt Disney fairy tale flicks rooted in popular IP and/or generational nostalgia, would audiences show up to a somewhat generic fairy tale adventure just because it came from the Mouse House? As of this weekend, the answer is a firm “no.”

The trailer looked like a typical holiday thing, the kind of movie you'd expect would do OK, but the $130 million budget was probably not a good idea.

SandAndGlass, Jrr and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is there a thread for favoutite films of 2018 ?

6. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I seem Bohemian Rhapsody this weekend with my son......

One word....AWESOME! If your a music fan, this is one great movie!!!!!!!

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I would guess, however, that it would not be awesome if you hate Queen.

Tree of Life likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Queen is pretty far down on my list of favorite bands, and I loved the film.

I had to drag my wife to it, who didn't want to see it as a protest against the accusations against director Brian Singer - and she loved it.

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'm finding that surprising! It would think that the Nutcracker would have had some of the Beauty and the Beast appeal. Naturally BATB is a far more well known Disney story and Emma Watson is better known than Mackenzie Foy. But I did see that both of them might have similar appeal.

Mackenzie first became known in the Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn Part Two, went on to to an excellent performance in Interstellar, prior to the Nutcracker. I see the two lead actresses very much alike and very Disney material.

The Nutcracker has been presented many times, but there is not a really iconic version, that would have been the Disney release. It seems that it has all of the necessary ingredients for a successful release, Including live action, which seemed to be a popular trend.

I'm wondering if opening at the beginning of November, rather than closer to the holiday's had something to do with it?

Sharing an opening weekend with Bohemian Rhapsody?

10. SandAndGlass

Initially, I had no interest in seeing a movie about Freddie Mercury and Queen. After seeing the trailer's, I cam away with a different opinion. I would look forward to seeing the movie.

Tree of Life likes this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The local critic was very vocal damning the Nutcracker. To paraphrase--if you like the original story and/or the ballet, do NOT see this film. It will anger you.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

It is a done deal. I am going to make a point to see it myself.

Prior to this my favorite nutcracker on video was/is, the 1977 production, staring Gelsey Kirkland and Mikhail Baryshnikov.

brownie61 likes this.
  13. Well Singer didn’t finishing directing it, so ......

14. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I love(ed) Queen and I hated the film: factual errors, screwed timeline and all.

It was like a cross between a bad MTV biopic, an English soap opera and The League of Gentlemen ('John Deacon' even looked a bit like Mark Gattis!)

15. SandAndGlass

As I don't know anything about Queen, other than listening to their songs on the radio and seeing a few videos, the time line and any factual errors will be beyond me.

I will just take it as a movie and see if it works for me as a movie or not?

Tree of Life and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I strongly disliked the trailer for Nutcracker-very much not charming for a fairy tale pic. Not surprised at the B O dive.

17. gary191265

It didn't work on any level for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I had no interest before seeing the trailer and even less after seeing them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had the oppposite reaction from you (unusual) when I saw the poster for it. My first thought was that it’s a very old story, done a million times, and probably not “hip” in today’s world (unfortunately imo). They had a preview of it during a film I saw, and like someone else said, it sure looked great but then again I guess we expect that these days. I’m not surprised this isn’t panning out. I’m sure they’ll do well with streaming views later. Also, the theatre’s around here are knocking on $15. I’m not okay with spending that much to see anything other than films I know I will enjoy. With minimum wages going up, etc, I understand the need for them to raise prices, but I’m just not in at that point except for tentpole films that take advantage of the better sound, etc. And I hate having to slog through the commericals and everything else at that price. I’m grateful for my own, perfectly serviceable home theatre and paying about the same for the same films on blu-ray.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

That would describe pretty much every biopic ever made.

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Do we know how much Singer filmed vs. what was done by Dexter Fletcher?

Interestingly, Fletcher is directing the forthcoming similar-looking Elton John biopic, as well.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. So possibly two films with John Reid in them??!?

That looks like a bio fantasy hybrid..

23. gary191265

Which is pretty much why I don't bother watching them.

24. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Yea, but do you hate them? I liked them when I was in high school and saw them (I think at the Beacon in NYC) back in the day. But today I truly hate them, no way I could sit through a film.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Hate? No...it's a very long list, and they are nowhere near the bottom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.