Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm not really current on film financing, but isn't the studio ultimately on the hook for paying back the loan regardless of how the legal entity that produced the film is structured? So why would the rate charged for the loan be higher than, say, the rate charged for a car loan? That's around 4% now, or around $2 million for a film with this budget.

I suspect these perennially low interest rates are one reason why movie budgets have exploded, studios and others can afford to blow fortunes producing streaming content, and so many marginal fairly large budget productions have been greenlit.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

and you know this how?

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 2019 "Angels" does allude to the 70s and 00s versions, so they make sure it exists in the same "Angelverse".

That was one of the only semi-clever aspects of the movie.

And we do get a fun cameo
    from Jaclyn Smith!

4. Oatsdad

Yeah, I wonder about that myself.

I saw it because I have AMC A-List so it was "free". It was on the IMAX screen and I like that format, so I went.

But I was in no way enthusiastic about it. I have fond memories of the 70s series and liked the 00s movies well enough, so I'm interested in the franchise.

The trailers just left no sense of spark or fun or excitement, though. Add to that mixed reviews and I didn't look forward to the movie.

None of that had to do with its "wokeness", though. And being "woke" isn't a "subject", anyway...

marmalade166 and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Very good summary - I agree.

Naomi Scott was in the "Aladdin" remake this summer, but that doesn't really make her a "star". Heck, I didn't even connect her to that movie until I looked on IMDB when I got home!

The 00s reboot worked because - as you note - it had popular actors and it looked fun. It was campy as hell and that worked.

The 2019 flick just takes itself too seriously, and none of the lead Angels add charm to their parts.

I don't think Stewart is an untalented actor, but action comedy ain't her thing. She gets the "wild child" part here and just lays an egg - all her "funny lines" fall flat.

Banks also was the wrong person for the job to direct. She has no experience with action and shows no talent for that format. The fight scenes here are incoherent and dull.

It's not the worst movie I've seen, but it's still pretty bad! :sigh:

sunspot42 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The same way everyone here knows everything and anything. Perhaps you are not aware of the fact everyone here is an expert.

marmalade166 and budwhite like this.
  7. How much does interest *really* matter, anyway? I mean, isn't it the studio who usually puts up the $? As I understand it, like each movie existing as a separate legal entity, it's essentially an accounting trick, like moving a C-note from your wallet to your pants pocket and booking it as a $100 debt.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Film Finance 101

Film finance - Wikipedia

reading this gives me nightmarish visions of long drawn out contracts, lawyers and more lawyers (expensive ones)

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. The Pitch Perfect movies are some of the most cringe-worthy junk ever sent out to the cinemas. Awful.

10. Oatsdad

I think the 1st one works, but the 2 sequels are pretty awful - and I loves me some Anna Kendrick! :love:

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. I like her, too - but HATE those movies. They are excruciatingly cringy. I could live with a woman who tolerates those movies, but one who really loves them? That's a deal-breaker based on intelligence alone.

goodiesguy, kouzie and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sorry, my bad, my comment was not properly worded. Just trying to point out that 2/3 of the box office came from other than U.S. audiences.

I thought that this was a bit unusual, given that it was based on an old American TV show.

It would have been a considerably more dismal without an international release.

Guess not then but maybe there will be a question now?

And a female Bosley. At least, that might be workable.

Evidently.

Anna was with Kristen in the twilight saga (where both of them had long hair).

I've seen a number of films that Kristen made after Panic Room and after Twilight and have a high opinion of her as an actress. Higher perhaps than the general public who have very mixed reviews with regard to her performing arts.

I definitely think that people prefer her with a more natural look.

[​IMG]

I don't see this Kristen as having that much overall on-screen appeal.

[​IMG]

No Doubt!

She was good as Effie in Hunger Games.

I absolutely agree with that.

And people though that Men in Black: International was bad, but even it has grossed $80 million in the United States and Canada, and $173.9 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $253.9 million.

The trailers looked like they were trying to make another MIB movie?

Even the promo shots scream "beyond stupid!".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  13. Speaking of this sort of thing: whatever happened with the gender-flipped version of Splash? Did the producers come to their senses?

Michael Rose likes this.
  14. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Wait! Wasn't this the first ten minutes of Aquaman? (haha)

jeroemba likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oh, I still think the first one's snarky and clever enough to be entertaining. It's just the sequels that go into the crapper!

Footnote: I saw "PP2" with a female friend who couldn't understand why I was so smitten by Kendrick. She thought Rebel Wilson was far more attractive! :wtf:

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I would dispute both of you and say Anna Camp and Brittany Snow are the beauties in those movies. I liked the first PP, more than I expected. I hated the second and never bothered with the third. No interest.

17. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

But enough about Cleopatra :D

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. The "Angry Milo Yiannopoulos" look doesn't do Stewart any favours, does it? :)

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

some times i actually feel sorry for actors when they have to do such stupid things. Or consider that they are so far out of touch with reality they don't know any better.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

They're both very attractive. If I see a woman who looks like either on a dating site, I'm swiping right! :D

Kendrick simply best matches what I find most appealing in a woman - she's very much my type.

I have no idea if she's regarded as a classic beauty, but she works for me! :love:

21. Oatsdad

As those SHFers veteran enough to remember a long-ago thread on the subject, I don't like short hair on women, but KS looks better in the movie than she does in the still you posted.

She also dons wigs a bunch of times, so that softens the blow! :D

KS's hairstyle is the least of this movie's problems!

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Looks wise, she was so much better of as a vampire. It suited her financially as well, since it made her about 45M.

I tend to think the "so far out of touch with reality they don't know any better" part is more accurate.

Kristin is currently worth about 70M. Once stars get stupid rich like that, they have a tendency to steer clear of reality. But when you do have that kind of money, then you can create your own versions of reality.

She has enough money that she can have any look of lifestyle she pleases. There is enough diversity out there for her to have many different career opportunities. She does a lot of product endorsements. She is a smart and talented individual.

True, but when you start of on a bad note, the rest is but a downward spiral.

Kendrick is quite attractive, as is Stewart. I doubt very much if you are either of their type.

23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

:laugh:

One can always dream! Dreams are great!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Calling it now - MEGA Bomb.

SandAndGlass and Spaghettiows like this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Their heads look too small in relation to their bodies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.