Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

It is kind of sad that Alita was not a bigger hit. It was a great movie and after seing it, I would instantly watch the next part. I hope someone makes the decision to make it anyways, because I think it will be a big hit.

2. Nightswimmer

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

People with kids who play Sonic video games. Such as myself. Despite its many faults (constant spruiking of Olive Garden, for example) at least it's never boring as ****,

--Geoff

Simon A likes this.
  4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Interested in hearing more about Tenet, don't think Nolan has made a bad movie yet. Other than that maybe Woman In the Window (read the book which had lots of buzz, some twists but I didn't think it was very good) and Mank ( that's Manciewicz as played by Gary Oldman, working on Citizen Kane script ).

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I'm floored, too, but clearly there's a market for it. Maybe we're not it, but I guess the teenagers and 20-somethings want to see it.

6. Nightswimmer

Kids are excused, they do not know any better. Parents on the other hand... ;)

HiredGoon likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I thought that Jim Carrey and the Mask thing, was his finest hour. Other persona's , not so much.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

No doubt that he was already developing these technologies for use in his Avatar sequels.

But, that is just it, earlier stages of development. He decided that he would go all out with them in Alita, to finish and perfect these technologies, so that the R&D will have already reached a stage of maturity, so that it would be ready when he deployed it for Avatar sequels.

In doing this, Cameron deliberately maxed out the production costs of Alita.

I think that Alita was an expendable project for Cameron. If it made money fine, if not, so what? He has enough on his plate with future Avatar releases.

Alita had been placed on the back burner for more than a decade and even then, it was handed over to Rodriguez to helm. I doubt if Cameron ever had that much interest in Alita, other than using it as a platform to perfect the technologies for "his" Avatar franchise.

Cameron is a veteran of the movie industry. It is highly unrealistic for him to think that he could spend $170M (after tax credits) on Alita with any reasonable expectations that it would return 3x gross or more that would be necessary for it to be successful financially.

Alita, is a possible franchise, based on a Japanese Manga, that I doubt if more than 1% of average American's were even aware of its existence. I bet those who have actually read them are even less than that. Besides being a Japanese Manga, it is an OLD, Japanese Manga.

It only grossed $7,690,148 in Japan. By comparison, the original Avatar release did $170,640,248 in Japan, and that was over a decade ago and not counting for inflation.

9. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Graduation Afternoon is coming out in 2020. It's based on a Stephen King short story. I've always been a big Stephen King Fan. I've read like 40 of his books. I used to go to his forum but I had to leave it because too many rude people were on it.

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If this CoronaVirus thing has the increasingly likely impact that some are now postulating there could be some very empty theaters come summer. I wonder if studios would change some release schedules

11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Agreed, but what's even more troubling to me is that there are people like the ones that made "Call Of The Wild" 2020 who have an insane amount of talent, patience and skill to make a movie of this magnitude but can't see the weird looking CGI eye movements and facial expressions no dog on Earth can emote. These folks must not even understand basic puppetry or they really can't detect a well acted performance in an actor. I know I can. I have to wonder how these folks choose actors for their other movies they've made. Maybe they have Social-emotional agnosia (I looked it up).

Anyway I keep yelling at the trailer every time it plays in the theater or on TV (cuz' I'm not going to pay money to see it)... and yelling under my breath..."Can't you see how wrong this looks?" "Let me sit behind the CGI dude on the computer and coach this person with every tweak of the software when it shows how ridiculous and distracting this dog looks."

12. Vidiot

Simon A, unclefred and GullGutt like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m getting a white blank screen...would love to read it.

14. Vidiot

Try a different browser. I just checked it on Chrome and Safari and it looks fine here.

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The title of the sequel to the box office bomb Suicide Squad is ...The Suicide Squad. (They added a “The” to it).

People will assume it is the same film they already decided not to see.

Technically it is not a sequel, it is a remake of the recent bomb. Too soon.

16. Vidiot

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Great! Let that be lesson for those that are the smartest guys in the room that it pays to be able to spot bad CGI acting and emoting of lead characters. Wonder what the test audience thought about how the dog looked. But then it's kinda' hard to tell who knows better since it made it into distribution anyway.

Maybe it's an intentional tax right off for the ton of money made on all those comic book hero movies during the summer.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You mean the movie that made $746 million worldwide? That movie that bombed and no one went to see? :wtf:

From what I hear, "TSS" may straddle the line between sequel and reboot, but it's not a remake.

I doubt it'll go the path of 2006's "Superman Returns" and pretend movies in the franchise don't exist. I just think it's not gonna do anything to connect to the first movie as a true sequel would.

In other words, I doubt we'll see how the Suicide Squad came together like in the 1st film. It'll probably just be a standalone that doesn't attempt to broaden story points from the prior film.

Ain't a remake anyway you look at it.

Chrome_Head and Stormrider77 like this.
  19. will_b_free

Yeah I guess people couldnt have hated it if they hadnt seen it first.

20. Oatsdad

So you still insist the movie bombed and no one saw it, even though it made almost $750m worldwide?

And it took in $325m US, a figure that made it the 9th biggest grossing film of the year?

That's a bomb no one saw? :wtf:

Simon A and Stormrider77 like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Nice post, the great majority of those deserve their infamy, one the doesn't is Sorcerer, I like it a bit better then it's predecessor.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. will_b_free

No, I literally said that people had to have seen it in order for it to have generated the bad reputation that it has.

I *was* surprised it was not a financial bomb. Your saying it did well was the first positive comment I’d seen about the film; I’d assumed it failed financially too. I only knew of it being a critical and popular bomb, known for the worst rendition of the Joker and for just generally sucking. But it clearly made its money back, even if the people seeing it did not like it much.

23. Vidiot

I really liked Sorcerer, too, both when it was released and today. It's always sad when a decent film fails to find an audience and kind of tanks. John Carpenter's The Thing was another one.

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Both SORCERER and THE THING would be on my personal top fifty.

Chrome_Head and unclefred like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Sorry - misunderstood and thought you'd stuck to your "no one saw it" guns!

Yeah, I won't defend the movie. It's not awful, but it's not good, and it's a mess.

The MCU makes $746 million worldwide a "disappointment" for movies like this. It's crazy - not that long ago, $325m in the US would've been a huge hit, but now it's a letdown!

It's expectations. "Shazam!" only made $365m WW - less than "SS" in the US alone - but it's viewed as a hit.

"Aquaman" did worse in the US than "SS" but is viewed as a smash hit. (It did take in a lot more WW, though.)

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the sequel/reboot/whatever! :)

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.