Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I prefer exact figures, not averages. Also, your math is wrong.

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

:D I just noticed, oh well that's an "F".

3. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

yes , I could not figure out his point, we did have Cable , all through the 60s , so maybe things were different for him. But eventually 90% of all films ended up on TV

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If movies had always reported ticket sales instead of $$$, those totals would resonate.

Record sales were always actual units, not $$$, so there's obviously precedent.

Book sales too.

Isaac K. and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Back on schedule? apparently Minions is the last major release that was delayed due to Covid.

[​IMG]

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

4-day long weekend forecast

[​IMG]

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

8. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Minions is set for a big weekend. Predictions were as low as $60m early in the week but those have quickly raised to $100m for the three day weekend. Previews are looking good.

The Minions IP is extremely popular. Expect it to blow the doors off of Lightyear.

9. Oatsdad

"Rise" can succeed because it's a sequel to a hugely successful movie that continues that continuity.

"Lightyear" was some weird offspring/spinoff that no one understood or wanted.

Dunno why anyone would write an article about this. Of course "Rise" had stronger commercial prospects!

10. Oatsdad

Yeah, as I allude above, it's bizarre that there'd be comparisons between "Rise of Gru" and "Lightyear", as they're not similar projects.

Now if "Lightyear" had been a true "Toy Story" spinoff... that'd be in the same vein as "Minions". A "TS" equivalent would be a movie about the Little Green Men.

But "Lightyear" isn't about any actual "TS" characters, whereas "Minions" was, and so is "Rise".

And the Minions have remained popular...

11. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

That's exactly it. Nobody wanted Lightyear. Retrofitting it to be the movie Andy saw in 1995 only made me think about how great the Toy Story movies are instead of making me watch this one.

People love Buzz. But they love the Toy Story version of Buzz, not some alternate version like in Lightyear.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Minions - better than expected
    ELVIS - down 39% (not bad)
    TGM: holding steady, minor drop from last weekend
    JWD: down 41% from last weekend

[​IMG]

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

not if you feel its correct.

14. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

On another forum I saw someone compare Lightyear to Solo which I found pretty apt. Both aren't bad movies per se but feature an origin story that nobody needed nor wanted to see. They also both recasted a popular character, for different reasons, diminishing the interest even more. For better or worse, both Han as well as Buzz are defined by their principal actors that made an impression on people since they were casted.
    Suddenly using a different actor was bound to cause confusion and backlash.

15. Vidiot

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Its been my unscientific observation that big theaters always have two children's movies screening, regardless of their individual box office or reviews. You know, for those families with young children that still go to the theater once in a while.

MikaelaArsenault, Simon A and mBen989 like this.
  17. Vidiot

This columnist predicts that Tom Cruise will be netting somewhere north of $80 million for Top Gun: Maverick, which is not a bad pay day.

Tom Cruise To Make An Absurd Amount Of Money Off ‘Top Gun: Maverick’

Note he took a relatively-low $12.5 million up front, but then got a percentage of the profits once it hit a certain number. I think that's a pretty good way to do business: if the movie bombs, the actor doesn't make much money... but if it's a big hit, then the actor prospers.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The movie made an absurd $1.1 billion so far..without a single penny from China and $570M domestic, and looks like it won't stop.

I thought Jurassic World 3 would overtake Top Gun 2 in one or two weeks since its release but the dinos are, as of today, $235M behind.

Paramount are pushing to make it available on streaming ASAP but Cruise wants to keep the movie a bit longer

When might Top Gun: Maverick come to streaming services?

Cruise is right; Paramount should make this film exclusive to theaters as long as they can.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

TGM still has gas in the tank, they need to let it run its course. I agree with Cruise, the streaming division execs are only looking out for themselves not Paramount as a whole. There's no way subscriber growth can outperform what TGM is currently doing at the box office.

Domestic Weekly results

Week / $$ / # of Theatres
    May 27-Jun 2: $205,604,011 /4,735
    Jun 3-9: $137,739,925 /4,751
    Jun 10-16: $78,823,609 /4,262
    Jun 17-23: $69,055,279 /4,035
    Jun 24-30: $47,252,543 /3,948

Jul 1-7: $44,000,000 (estimate)

if it draws down at 40% beyond Jul 7 it would still add another $64.5 million to its domestic total (another 7 weeks).

MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Trailer for Amsterdam coming in November.

22. Oatsdad

100%.

If Pixar had made a Buzz movie that fit better with the character in the "TS" movies and that used Tim Allen's voice, I think it does much better business.

MrJerry1876 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Yeah. There was actually a Buzz Lightyear cartoon series that dealt with Buzz and his squad dealing with space stuff. Never saw it myself but from what I've heard it seems pretty allright and the Buzz in the show actually matches the TS Buzz in character.

When they brought it to VHS they actually made an intro with the regular TS cast.

24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It doesn’t sound like Tim Allen voicing Buzz.

JohnK

25. Oatsdad

Patrick Warburton played Buzz for the TV series, though Allen did the voice for the "Adventure Begins" direct-to-video movie.

Jord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.