Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which makes no sense to me, as Larson isn't remotely famous enough to harpoon a movie based on her name.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Yes, but that doesn't mean it'll bomb.

A little movie I like to call "Titanic" had its released delayed about half a year and it did kinda okay! :D

maui jim likes this.
  3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I think The Marvels will partly struggle because the audience will need to have watched two Marvel TV shows in order to be up to speed with the storyline, which I think is a critical error on Marvel's part because the wider movie-going audience is not streaming all these shows on Disney+. There's also some suggestion from those who have seen preview scenes of the movie, that it's tonally geared toward tweens, which may limit its appeal.

The marketing's not been wonderful so far, from a very poor teaser poster to not having Captain Marvel as part of the movie's title. It doesn't feel like a sequel to Captain Marvel, which was a billion-dollar movie. Right now it feels like some sort of spin-off featuring Captain Marvel, and I think Disney will want to correct that perception sooner than later.

I have found some of the responses to Brie Larson odd, I think she's done fine with the role myself. We enjoyed Captain Marvel as a family, though I wasn't entirely on board with what they did with Nick Fury's character, who became somewhat of a joke.

Jim B. and audiomixer like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The movies budgets are not in support your hypothesis...

5. Oatsdad

My assumption - and it may well end up incorrect - is that like other movies connected to MCU TV shows, the connections will add flavor for those who get them but won't become crucial for non-TV viewers to understand the movie.

That occurred with the last Dr. Strange movie. I never watched "WandaVision" so aspects of Scarlet Witch in the movie didn't make much sense to me, but the movie covered the bases well enough that it didn't matter.

I admit I don't like the way they're weaving TV into movies. It's enough for MCU fans to need to keep up with the movies to connect dots - adding 87 different TV series to the mix seems like a lot to "demand".

But even though I've seen zero of the MCU TV series, it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the films.

I had no idea who the Julia Louis-Dreyfus character was when she popped up in "Black Widow", but it didn't hurt the film for me.

So I anticipate "Marvels" will work the same way. MCU folks aren't stupid - they're not gonna put out a massively expensive movie that they know will seem incomprehensible to people who don't watch the TV series.

6. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

No, that can’t possibly be it. It’s [insert regressive social agenda talking points here].

I miss the old days of powerful, strong female stars like Judy Garland who accidentally overdosed on barbiturate because she couldn’t cope with the abuse she suffered as an actress.

Why can’t Hollywood give us more of that “strength” and not this fake stuff where actresses have their own minds and Hollywood doesn’t just use them as a prop? I mean did Brie Larson even smile in Captain Marvel?

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No more politics please.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Here's an interesting forecast as to the movies coming out between now and early May, and how analysts are ranking them in terms of success vs. failure:

[​IMG]

Note that John Wick 4, Guardians 3, and Shazam are set to do very well (if you believe the analysts).

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I hate to say it, but that is one dismal looking list of choices for serious movie goers.

brownie61 and Vidiot like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, a lot of them appear to suck to me as well.

audiomixer and brownie61 like this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

On the ignore list for you obviously...

unclefred and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It couldn't have been released at a better time. Infinity war had blown people away, they were desperate for the next and thus CM drops with promises of major links to Endgame. No wonder it did well.

The new one is terrible by all accounts, reshoots after reshoots and the actresses have fallen out. So much for all those 'women are perfect' ********.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Agree. Having to watch a tv series to understand a film is stupid. Too late for this film.

Dr S 2 made no sense at all if you only watched the films. Why is Wanda a psychopathic killer now? (Besides the fact she would have been dealt with after what she did to that town).

I didn't mind Captain Marvel on its own merits, it was fun enough, and I don't have an issue with Brie Larson.

But The Marvels has very little going for it. Larson is not a favourite due to her misjudged comments, although it seems she is trying to make up for that now, Ms Marvel was a show for a younger demographic, which is fine, but I don't know if people need to see her on the big screen and I liked Photon or whatever they are calling her but she was hardly on screen for long in the Wanda show.

Ant man 3 looks likely to lose hundreds of million and I think this will do the same.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I know someone that saw John Wick. They said it was the best of the bunch, an all action thrill ride for 3 hours. Seems to be what people like. I did myself prefer the first which was more character and less action but perhaps I'm odd. But yes, a big hit.

From what I've heard Mario brothers is going to be a billion dollar hit, it's going to hit all the right demographics.

Shazam - they have had to release a trailer with Wonder Woman in it to generate some interest, even though I suspect she will hardly be in the film. I don't think this will do well.

Guardians I can see being a pretty obvious huge film.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Wow, forgot about that. So make that three Disney+ shows needed watching before The Marvels comes out.

16. Crack To The Egg

That Shazam 2 number seems off (assuming I’m reading this right). I expect the latest DC movie will make Antman 3 look look like a success. Buzz is not good.

Stormrider77 and Deuce66 like this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Worldwide - TOP 10 of 2023 to-date.

Rank/Title/Worldwide $/Domestic $-%/International $-%
    1- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: $448,349,859 -$198,112,394 44.2% $250,237,465 55.8%
    2- Creed III: $179,735,676 -$101,435,676 56.4% $78,300,000 43.6%
    3- Pathaan: $112,318,067 -$17,343,730 15.4% $94,974,337 84.6%
    4- Chebi: My Fluffy Friend: $90,730,505 - - $90,730,505 100%
    5- Scream VI: $67,047,270 -$44,447,270 66.3% $22,600,000 33.7%
    6- Cocaine Bear: $65,750,310 -$51,709,310 78.6% $14,041,000 21.4%
    7- Titanic 25 Year Anniversary: $61,417,519 -$15,033,795 24.5% $46,383,724 75.5%
    8- Magic Mike's Last Dance: $55,378,838 -$25,878,838 46.7% $29,500,000 53.3%
    9- Knock at the Cabin: $53,825,046 -$35,362,790 65.7% $18,462,256 34.3%
    10- Plane: $51,577,483 -$32,111,181 62.3% $19,466,302 37.7%

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Beau is Afraid seems to have the lowest awareness score on that list, but it may be the only one I really want to see. Though I'm open-minded about Evil Dead Rise.

19. Oatsdad

I'm sure she did, but if not... who cares?

Do people clock how many times other actors smile in movies? :wtf:

20. SmallDarkCloud

Brie Larson didn't smile (much) in the film because her character was a blank slate, with her mind wiped by the Kree. I mean, the reason is right there in the plot. When she appears in the climax of Endgame with a new hair style and a smile, I took it to mean she had reclaimed her humanity in some fashion (which we didn't see).

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Some people seem obsessed with how much women smile in general. It's bizarre.

22. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Beau is Afraid isn't a good title. It doesn't tell you what kind of film it is - thriller? horror? - also it sounds like someone weak and suffering. I see that it's described as a "surrealist horror comedy," which in the movie business is a long-winded way of saying "bomb."

23. SmallDarkCloud

It's the new film by Ari Aster, whose name alone will bring in an audience. I think it will do just fine. People who loved Hereditary and Midsommar (and there are many people who love those movies) will see it.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad is afraid he'd never heard of "Beau Is Afraid" until now. :shh:

25. Crack To The Egg

It was sarcasm, but the context is probably lost now as I think the gorts trimmed some posts.

Oatsdad likes this.