Prefab Sprout CD Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Love 'Two Wheels Good'.
    Does Prefab Sprout have a cd box of all their albums available extra songs etc ..?

greenhorn likes this.
  2. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I do believe they have a 2 CD set out there that is pretty darn good & near definitive. Or: get Swoon, Steve McQueen, From Langely Park To Memphis & Jordan: The Comeback and you would be well served.

PH416156 and alexpop like this.
  3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

there is a killer jordan japanese remaster out there (maybe out of print by now) that is soooooooooooooooooo good.
    if only steven wilson would apply his magic to that in 5.1. could bring peace in the mideast at the least.

4. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Of course, 'Two Wheels Good' is the American title for 'Steve McQueen'.

5. alexpop

This is my favourite UK band album from the eighties. I'm just surprised their's not a large cd box set with all their album catalogue + extra tracks outakes etc ..And I'm aware of the orginal album title apparently in tbe USA Steve McQueen's family trust took offence to his name being used, hence Two Wheels Good.

6. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

My favourite band of all time, with probably the best British (at least) songwriter since the 60's. Paddy McAloon has no real interest in his back catalogue, so there is no impetus for a career defining box set since he effectively is Prefab Sprout, and as far as I know owns the rights to the music. There are a load of b-sides which never made it onto an album (though a few were included in a recent comp "Kings of Rock 'n' Roll: The Best of Prefab Sprout"). Many of the b-sides are as good as anything on an album, so it's a real source of frustration for me that he doesn't do something with his music. He also famously has albums worth of demos which have never seen the light of day. He was persuaded a few years back to let one out (Let's Change the World with Music). Apparently he finds enough satisfaction in writing the songs, making the demos then putting them on a shelf.

7. alexpop

I seen him once ( in London,of all places) in 1988/89 he was in a cafe with Wendy Smith getting a sandwich, seemed to be checking out my winkle picker shoes'Kings Of Rock &Roll 'indeed. :)

8. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

There is a UK version of "Steve McQueen" out there with a bonus disc that has acoustic 2006 rerecordings of eight of the songs by Paddy. Highly recommended. Some people like the dated production on the PS albums; I'm not one of them. So these retakes are most welcome. I love the originals despite the production, of course, but on the acoustic versions you really get to enjoy the songwriting. Legacy/2007.

ippudo, hutlock, ramdom and 3 others like this.
  9. alexpop

Steve McQueen has dated very well( regardless of the drum machine)I would say it's the eighties 'Pet Sounds'.

limoges, SamS, davers and 2 others like this.
  10. alexpop

This album begs repeated listens, it's so damn good.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  11. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I enjoy it every bit as much as "Pet Sounds." It's hardly an obscure work, but you have to wonder why it does not enjoy a greater reputation (at least here in the States). Paddy has some genius in him. Wendy Smith's contributions are key -- what a smart singer, one of the great background singers in rock.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  12. alexpop

Yes! I'll have to get that one.

13. alexpop

What's Andromedia Heights like?
    I remember hearing something that was played on the radio and was impressed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    willy likes this.
  14. alexpop

Yes! Wendy's vocals are sublime.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  15. alexpop

Would it be safe to say you have to get all the eighties CDs + plus newer editions to get the complete PS experience? Hence my initial post for a complete box set. Also, what about vinyl UK /foreign pressings and perhaps 12" etc....?

16. Seems like they just did the first album and didn't do any others of course the second disc were acoustic reworkings of the songs not the original demos.

alexpop likes this.
  17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Yes,individual albums and CDs singles etc. There is no box set available (there should be though).

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Oh well, happy hunting I guess.:)
    What's Paddy's solo album like ?

19. davers

davers Forum Resident

A shout out to Thomas Dolby's fantastic production job on Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good.

With regard to a career retrospective, I really enjoy the two-cd compilation "24 Carrot Gold"

20. alexpop

How come he was only involved with producing half the album, time constraints, money , something else?

willy likes this.
  21. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Simply put, it's lovely. :wave:

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Looks like a must purchase.
    (No vinyl, pity).

23. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Andromeda Heights was produced by Paddy. He asked Thomas Dolby to do so but Dolby refused on the grounds that Paddy was by now well capable himself. It is a lovely, warm, rich sounding album.

alexpop likes this.
  24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Dolby produced all of the album apart from (I don't have the album with me as I type this) I think 'When Love Breaks Down'. Was that produced by Phil Thornalley?

Dolby part-produced From Langley Park To Memphis, due to illness I think.

davers and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

Dunno if Steve Wilson's aware of Prefab Sprout, but wouldn't mind Audio Fidelty putting some title out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.