Preferred years for music in the eighties( 80s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm not going to dispute that! To be honest I hated most US music in the 90s, especially grunge with all its sweaty moaning men in bad shorts with awful sounding guitars. I liked Nirvana and Mudhoney but just about all the rest repulsed me. I thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers were awful too. The hip hop scene that got heard here was gangsta rap. I was never going to like that even though it's now seen as a golden era for hip hop. I liked Beastie Boys and Jurassic 5. The metal scene moved from bands like Iron Maiden, good era Metallica and Anthrax to terrible growly vocals, which at the end of the 90s led towards the worst rock music ever, possibly the worst music ever at all, nu-metal.

It's not an anti US thing with me though, I like and have always liked a lot of American music.

alexpop likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It depends on the type of music. For me, it would be easier to mention the parts of the 80s i'd leave out, which is the second half of 1981 and the first eight months of 1982.

alexpop likes this.
  3. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I had no probs with eighties, last couple of years were a bit unremarkable. Grunge / rock was ok in clubs in the early nineties 1990/91/92.. heck even Green Day sounded alright in a bar/club. But was more impressed with Suede, Blur, The Verve, Pulp and of course Oasis.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. alexpop

That’s pretty good breakdown of a particular year( for you).

6. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

7. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

80-84 had tons and tons of home runs. They all are winners.
    85-87 was a dip in quality. Still, many really good albums put out.
    88 had some highs (Pixies, Public Enemy, Janes) and lots of okay.
    89 was the worst. Everyone was either a rocker, raver or funky and many were not really good at any. Production got really slick. The celebration of the quirky, weird and small in the underground was overshadowed by the lure of a career on a major label. There was still strange and personal stuff being put out but there was also a lot more folks thinking the independent scene was a stepping stone to bigger pastures. Money really came sniffing around.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I saw Oasis quite early on, before they released a single and was excited by them. The excitement was short lived though. I got bored of them quickly, losing some interest before Definitely Maybe was released! I was a huge Blur fan. I saw them a few times throughout the 90s and liked them during the Popscene and Modern Life Is Rubbish era, when they put out great records, but couldn't have been less fashionable. The change in their fortunes was dramatic and unexpected. For the only time in my life I became a bit cool and didn't need to even slightly try!

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Dip. Understood.

Late eighties I went to rock clubs and even goth. The dance scene was all rave ecstasy, music ..bottle of water and a pill, not for me.
    Everyone had big smiles. :winkgrin:

10. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

11. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

all of them !!!!!!!

12. alexpop

I only seen Suede and Ocean Color Scene.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I never saw Suede but I liked them a lot. I've been in the same building as Ocean Colour Scene playing live twice and have never seen them! I didn't deliberately ignore them either time. They had some good singles but I didn't like them much.

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

I never bought anything from OCS.. it was a freebie gig. Met a couple of Suede, 2 of Blur, Jarvis Cocker and all of Oasis. Only band I bought their records though was Suede ( was in fan club.. got sent postcards) nineties Roxy Music. :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ha. I've just noticed I've listed 1980 and 1988 twice. Eedjit! :doh:

Number 7 should read 1981 and number 10, 1986!

16. 1982

17. koshrecords

koshrecords NZ-based Xennial, Manics expert

Isn't that peak Duran Duran and Blue Monday?

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No. Duran Duran's single "New Moon On Monday" came out in early 1984.

19. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

1980 is at the top for the amazing hard rock albums that came out, and the start of an iconic decade for music, for as much as the really old heads for whatever reason seem to hate on it. If I could order them It'd be something like this:

20. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

In 1980-85 there were so many good heavy metal, pop and electronic music albums. Hard to beat in my opinion!

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.