Pretty Things SF Sorrow/Parachute

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 22dRow, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22dRow

22dRow New Member Thread Starter

There have been so many different issues of SF Sorrow and Parachute on CD, including just this past year I think, in an lp style sleeve. Which issues of this CD do we like? I have an old stereo Edsel version but there have been many more since then.

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Snapper reissue from 2000 I think. Get the one in the jewel case. That is the mono. The digipac with the plastic slipcase and gold disc (limited numbered edition) is the stereo. Purty good sounding to me. Find this over the recent Repetoires. They clone the track listing but the no-noise situation is present.

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

There're fewer than it seems, as most just repackage the Snapper reissue. The Snapper disc exists in a mono (jewel-case) and stereo (digipak) incarnation; both are OK, but one has to realize that the album has NEVER sounded that good. I haven't ABed, but I don't recall the stereo Snapper disc sounding that much different from the Edsel.

The Repertoire version seems to be a tweaked version of the Snapper disc with related bonuses added.

-D

4. 22dRow

22dRow New Member Thread Starter

Is the mono a different mix or a fold down?

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I think it's supposed to be a different mix (it's still within the British timeframe for it, I think) but I don't recall any obvious differences, and the stereo album is so darn *wide* that hitting the mono button might get near the same effect.

That said, the stereo version has some panning effects that I don't recall hearing the remnants of on the mono (*very* scratchy pan control on that album, IIRC).

-D

6. audio

audio New Member

I'll second the recommendation for the mono version. It sounds much better than the gold stereo version.

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

But, the mono has the long acetate version of "Deflecting Grey" whereas the Stereo is desireable for having the single version. And David, regarding the sound quality, it is not as bad as that, wasn't Norman Smith the producer? He's a great producer. Peter
    Mew was the engineer, so there is definitely one reason we must all cut him a little slack.

8. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

If you really like SF Sorrow, why not get both the mono and stereo Snappers? Then get the Snapper Parachute. The Snaps sound a bit better than the Edsels to me, and while I've not heard the Repertoires, they generally seem to have a characteristicly boosted sound which some folks like and some don't. Anyhow, the band gets royalties from the Snappers, unlike various other issues, so that's also in their favor, IMO.

9. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

For mono/stereo differences, pay particular attention to the prominent gong crashes on the mono "Death," the "flashback" sequence in "The Journey," and the conclusion of "Well of Destiny." I personally prefer the stereo (mainly for the cool panning effects), but both versions are well worth owning.

--Paul Curtis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.