PrimaLuna Evolution Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeremy B., Mar 26, 2019.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Buy the 20 amp outlet. I'm pretty sure there are more for recommended high fidelity. But these should be better than a standard outlet. Either or, switches, outlets the tend to have wears in a span of 20 years. Maybe its time. Just don't get electrocuted. total power off from main switch and make sure black, white, bare, green goes to the right spot. Polarization.
    20A Outlets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    DryWhiteToast likes this.
  2. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

This is a phono stage issue.
    Either try a phono stage with a cleaner output or live with it.

DryWhiteToast likes this.
  3. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Thanks guys,
    I can live with this no problem...I just wanted to rule out the PL as the problem.

Cheers

4. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

since the noise only occurs with your phono pre and follows the phono pre as you move it around (but doesn't do that with the node), then i think you've got the answer -- it's the phono pre that's the source of the noise.

i like the ideas around changing the way things are plugged in, trying power conditioning, etc. also try move the phone pre away from the amp -- sometimes interference can simply be a product of proximity.

DryWhiteToast and OC Zed like this.
  5. DryWhiteToast

Thanks Jcn3

6. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Question. Does anyone think the price jump from the 200 to the 300 is "worth" the $1300 or so dollars? I can do it, but would rather not if the aggregate difference is slim.
    Dont care about the sub out. Do the switching , AC Offset Killer and upgraded parts feel worth it? And is there a noticible difference in headroom?

I appologize for the open ended question. Even the nice fellow at Upscale didnt exactly give me a HUGE yes?

Anyone?

7. DryWhiteToast

I think the benefit of going to the 300 is worth it.
    I just bought the 400 integrated and I am overwhelmed with it.
    It is really like going to a live venue and hearing the band in front of you.
    A big jump between the two for you is the ability to switch between Ultra-Linear and Triode while even listening to a song and just deciding ... Hm, this might sound better by ....
    pushing a button.
    But, that is just my opinion.
    I don't think you can go wrong with the 200 either.
    All the best...let us know how and what you chose.
    Take Care

Echoes Myron and Dignan2000 like this.
  8. fairaintfair

Thanks for the feedback. I really appriciate it.

So you find that you use the UL/T switching often? I have to say that the ability to inform the tone is very appealing.

9. DryWhiteToast

I use it a few times per listening session. It is so nice to push a button and enhance the sound of my music without fiddling around with tone controls, sub volumes and settings etc. like I used to do on my old amp.
    I currently do not have a sub hooked up to the PL and I don't know if I will need one. It really has great bass reproduction.
    To me, it really is worth it but I have issues with harsh sounding records and really don't like the sound of many of my old albums...they sometimes sound just so harsh and the triode really helps with that a lot.

Cheers

10. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I concur. The 400 was more firepower than I needed. My guess is that the 300 is an ideal upgrade. There is so much to like about these amps.

So far I hardly ever use the Triode switch, but I'm glad it is there.

11. fairaintfair

Thanks! Yeah I think the 300 is the way I'll go. But now a part of me is wondering if the older dialogue premium may provide a better bang for buck.

Sadly I'm a cut once, measure 8000 times kinda guy...

12. I´m a happy owner of a Dialogue Premium integrated. I think if I had to buy it now, I´d go for the EVO 300 but just for the headphones plug in, that I wouldn´t be using much anyway. Frankly I don´t think the rest of the improvements is worth the difference in $$$. In any case, any Dialogue Premium like mine, with nicer tubes is way much better than any EVO 300 with the stock tubes IMHO. My advice would be to get an EVO 300 but just because it´s a new model, if you think in terms of bang for the buck and you´re not interested in listening with cans, the Dialogue Premium integrated is the winner I think.
    About the EVO 400, I also think it´s too much, and too many tubes for a hot area like mine, and very expensive if you are into tube rolling like I am. Also electricity bill would be way much bigger, but that also depends on where you live.

fairaintfair likes this.
  13. DryWhiteToast

Hey Guys,

So, I was documenting that I had a phono-stage issue with a "snowy" sound when I turned the volume up to noon on the dial and nothing playing. (this was a very minute sound but audible)

So, I imagine it is the phono-stage causing it or the cable etc.

But, now, after a month of having the EVO 400i, the channel that was clean and free of "noise" had tube noise with the volume knob not even turned up.

It seems to have subsided today but it is not entirely clear.

Does this happen the odd time because of our electrical connections?

Have you had this just arise like me .... no noise on my channel for my streamer and now it is there?

Thanks

14. fairaintfair

Your power is the first place I would look, also see if you can find any consistencies with other devices being used while your system is on.

It's shocking what unplugging a fridge did to my sound (I fixed that issue, thank God).

OC Zed and DryWhiteToast like this.
  15. DryWhiteToast

Thanks FAFair.

16. abd1

abd1 Well-Known Member

So I just picked up a used Evo300 amp. I had a Dialogue Premium amp and wasn’t going to upgrade but a local shop got a used one and it wasn’t much to upgrade once I sell my Dialogue. Using 7581 tubes with Radiotechnique 12au7s that I simply pulled out of the Dialogue and plugged into the Evo, along with all the cords. Just sat down to listen and am surprised in the improvement in sound. Main difference to me is soundstage depth and width is improved with the Evo. I’m listening at LO wish volumes and still getting great dynamics and imaging. Very impressed with the upgrade so far.

17. Classic Car Guy

I notice the difference too on the voicing between the old prologue and evo...

Echoes Myron and HiFi Guy like this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

Well let me quote this. There is a slight difference in the voicing. But its all a matter of personal preference. Honestly, I wouldn't mind owning neither one.

19. Ctanke

Ctanke New Member

Hey all,
    I need some opinions on an stock/el34 EVO 300 driving Salk Song 3 speakers (8ohm, 86dB) on a Thorens 160, Grace 707 arm, Shure V15iii MM cart, Jaco SAS stylus set up. If not Salks, is anybody running this dB range speaker off of a 300? I have read reviews about the 400's ability to drive these kind of speakers, but not a 300. Triode is of specific concern. Any real world experience out there? Thanks is advance!

20. Classic Car Guy

Hopefully this is your correct speaker below. These guys should be able to give you a good advise since I never own one of these speakers before. You can ask you speaker maker too and they should be able to help you too. It says 86 db powering 100 watt. You should be way more than enough the minimum requirement. The EVO 300 is a powerful amp and should be no problem driving these easily. Welcome to SHF

SONG3
    SPECIFICATIONS
    [​IMG]

Model Song3
    Design
    3-way ported
    Tweeter RAAL 64-10 ribbon
    Midrange 4" bamboo fiber titanium cone
    Woofer Satori 7.5"
    Response +/- 3db 33Hz - 40kHz
    Sensitivity 86dB
    Impedance 8 ohms
    Amplification 100 watts
    Alignment Ported (front or rear)
    Dimensions 9.5" W x 14.5" D x 44.5" H
    Weight 70 pounds
    Price $3495 per pair in black satin or white finish

21. Ctanke

Ctanke New Member

Yes those are the speakers
    Thanks CCG!

22. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

An 86dB sensitivity rating will be a tougher speaker to drive for the EVO 300. It's not to say that it can't do it, but a more powerful tube or solid state could be a better match for those speakers.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

Yes I saw it.. Why do you think the cabinet has a single 7 inch driver woofer with 100 watt?? Isnt that too small of a cone and speaker layout.
    The reason why I'm asking this is I have a JBL studio 280 tower with 2-6.5 inch woofers rated 165 watts but this is an 89db. My 15 watt 300b easily pulverizes these speakers no sweat especially the PL...

Well to be sure, he better off getting a higher wattage amp....

24. Classic Car Guy

You can ask these guys what are your options in amp powering that's comfortable with you. The 86 db is the one that's confusing me especially in that woofer size and since this is a new style speaker. They have a lot of experience with these amp or the higher EVO amps . Just fire up any questions. I suggest ask you speaker dealer too on what they will say.

25. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

FWIW I drive the Harbeth C7ES3 with an evo 400. Compact 7 are 86db / 6 ohm.

I use KT88 power tubes. Very happy with the Evo 400 Harbeth combo. Was not super happy with the stock EL34 as they have no bass with the Harbeth. KT88 solved that.