Primaluna preamp EVO300 vs EVO400

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by joms, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joms

joms Member Thread Starter

I was about to pull the trigger on a Primaluna EVO400 preamp but after reading a comment from someone in stereophile, I am not contemplating if I should just get an EVO300 (Distance between preamp and amp is 2meters max).

Anyway, please read the user comment below as I'd want to know if what he said is really accurate. It also appears that the EVO400 is not a truly balanced differential amp and only uses a transformer (which as per comment, degrades the audio quality) - see comment below

------------------------------------------------------------

USER COMMENT:

As a classical music addict & a DIY audio designer/builder, my last thing to do is to use transformers in the music signal paths in my amps.

Why? Transformer is itself a non-linear device due to its non-linear magnetic characteristics. It rolls off both the low & high ends of the audio frequency bandwidth. It slows down the music: phase distortion, & distorts the audio signal with overloaded due to magnetic saturation.

It is noticeable when placed at the signal path front ends, e.g. input & output terminals of the preamp after magnification, e.g. balanced input/output termination with XLR connectors.

We have to know balanced signal transmission is a standard technical practical practice for recording studios, & outdoor/indoor sound performances where miles & miles long audio interconnects are used to connect the equipment. Balanced transmission using XLR connection is to eliminate noises induced into the signal transmission paths - noise-free
    signal throughout.

But, but for home audios where long long run of audio signal cables does not exist, any balanced signal transmission using XLR connection therin is therefore redundant & overKILLING !!!!

As explained above, using transformers to provide balanced input/output termination only compromises the music quality due to the downside of any transformers besides spending extra big bucks to install such redundant devices.

So why BALANCED input/output termination using transformers for home audios ???????? Just to make it commercially more appealing & sellable ?
    ===========================================================================

2. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/

Get the 300 and pocket the money.
    There is no difference between the two unless you have the need to run long cables.

joms likes this.
  3. joms

Thanks. So i guess the XLR input/output is not that important if the preamp/poweramp is only around 2 meters apart.

4. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/

Correct. If your not running long cables this is not necessary. You can chat with Kevin Deal about this but he also discusses this in his review. I have the 300, it’s been good to me.

5. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

Depends what speakers you have and what taste you have, but EVO400 should be the clear favourite in the battle.

EVO400 will probably be more "tubey" and fuller sounding amp with more grunt and output vs EVO300.

I have the Dialogue Premium HP which was the predecessor to EVO400. My speakers are just 85 dbm sensitive, so the 8-tube version is a vastly better choice to drive them and 8 main tubes give more of that "tubey" fuller sound than 4-tube EVO300, double (8) tubes with just 40% more power run the tubes more "freely" and probably they last longer too. The only downside if you decide to roll them, then it'll be 2X the cost, but it's been fine for me since I've found my perfect combo (GL KT88 with Psvane 12au7-s).

If you have 95db+ sensitive speakers or are a very cost sensitive client then maybe I'd consider EVO300. Otherwise EVO400 all the way. You only live once, so get the cream and crop version, they made it the best for a reason!

IMHO and YMMV applies.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Standingstones likes this.
  6. joms

sir, i think what you said would apply if im choosing between an evo300 poweramp vs an evo400 poweramp (or integrated amp) and not between an evo300/400 preamp =)

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Are XLR connections the only difference between the two preamps? You should be very careful about believing any generalizations as the one you are basing an important decision on.

8. joms

Yes, I believe the only difference is the XLR connection. The $800 price difference would be easier to justify if only the evo400 was only a fully differential balanced amp.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Balanced output connections may come into play if your amplifier has different input impedance specs for RCA vs XLR. For example my amp specs 33Kohm input impedance for RCA single ended and 66Kohms for XLR balanced connections.
    Check the specs on your amp and make sure the input impedance is a match with your preamp.
    Another reason to run XLR cables is that many preamps have different gain for single ended vs balanced outputs. Usually the balanced outputs have higher gain whic for me has worked very well.
    In the case of your proposed PL preamp the gain appears to be fixed.
    We really need to read the details in the specs when trying to match Preamps to Power Amps.

10. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Before making your purchase call Upscale Audio ask to speak with Kevin. He'll listen to your concerns and give you an host answer. You don't want to pay for something you don't really need. Unless in the future you think this is going to be useful to you (having the preamp much further away than the pwr-amps). Output impedance is 256Ω on the 300, so don't worry about being able to match it with any power amp made today.

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The OP is asking about the two preamps, not the power amps.

JohnK

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

For me it has worked well having both options however if the rest of the circuitry is the same, the only difference in the 400 are a few XLRs, and you are not planning to buy anytime soon an amp with XLR inputs only. I would probably save the money, I would however double check all the specs or with a dealer just to make sure you are not saying no to a better sounding pre.

13. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

Sorry, mixed it up. I quickread poweramps, I though Primaluna has preamps named differently but they are exactly the same confusingly EVO300 and EVO400 as their poweramps or integrated amps in the matter of fact.

I promise I'll be reading slower next time! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.