Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Let’s hope they will release The Rainbow Children on vinyl soon :righton:

2. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I believe Prince lives in our hearts.:angel:

Izozeles and EVOLVIST like this.
  3. Hell, if so, I don't think he'll be very comfortable in the heart that I provide for him. It's too dark in there. :p

Izozeles, Osato and ad180 like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

ad180 likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

7. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

1980-1982 Prince probably wouldn't mind. :cool:

8. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I want unreleased music as much (or even more) as the next person, but I'd hate to see some random bonustracks on vinyl reissues. Let's hope they do thorough box sets for every period.

Izozeles and CBackley like this.
  9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

You have no idea what Prince would have wanted. This isn’t about Prince. This is about his estate and Sony Music.

Ed

10. Nostaljack

11. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I don't think it's a herculean stretch that Prince didn't want unreleased material released. He had ample opportunity to do it himself and didn't.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Madhouse 24 ................I have the other ones. But, they could reissue them with, say 6 1/2 and the other "singles" as bonus tracks.

13. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Prince was asked about his vaults during countless different interviews, and most times, when asked if we would ever hear the contents, he would coyly respond with something to the effect of "Maybe." But other times, he very specifically outlined some of the things he planned to eventually release.

So, to suggest that he never would have released any of it is preposterous. He said he would. It's a matter of public record. As for exactly what all he would have eventually released, we'll never know. But if he truly didn't want something released, he should have: A) destroyed it, or B) left a will with specific instructions. He did neither, so it's up to the estate.

Finally, I believe Prince was ultimately about joy and love. And if his music continues to bring joy and love to people around the world for generations after he's gone, I can't imagine he would be too angry about that.

14. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I actually spoke to Susan Rogers about this last year when I had the opportunity to visit during her teaching office hours. Because after the passing of Prince I was kind of curious of this very situation out of respect for him, us hearing stuff that Prince himself did not want us to hear, and she told me that if Prince really didn't want the public to hear something he would have destroyed the tape like he did with the first version of "Wally" he recorded and made her erase.

According to various Prince interviews he said a lot of the songs in the Vault it was more that he wasn't able to find the right project to put them on, not that they were deemed un-releasable. I will have to find the actual quote but Prince himself even said in an interview regarding the unreleased stuff that we will all hear it eventually "even if it was when he was long gone" or something to that effect - if I find the quote I will post the source of it here

Also there are quite a few quotes where he has talked about "giving the material away" (Kurt Loder interview), the material coming out at some point, etc.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    EVOLVIST, KariK, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  15. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I have 3121 on vinyl. Do you have any proof that it's counterfeit? I've heard a few people on prince.org claim that it's fake. But if it really is counterfeit, it may well be the best-looking counterfeit LP I've ever seen (and I've seen plenty). Is there any official link from Universal or any interview with Prince that could confirm this?

CBackley likes this.
  16. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

This is weird. Sony Legacy's website just updated for the first time in at least a month. But there was no mention of this. Strange that they wouldn't include this as part of the new announcements. Maybe they don't want people to confuse it as a Christmas release?

17. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I disagree wholeheartedly. I have several Sony/Legacy titles. And they all sound at least as good, if not better, than the corresponding original mass-market pressings. If the Prince is in keeping with the others I have, I'll be more than happy. I'm in the U.S., BTW. YMMV.

18. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

You should track down U.S. Sony / Legacy pressings. I have several, and they are consistently great pressings. Better, IMO, than MOV. Haven't heard any U.K. / European pressings, though, so I don't know what you're hearing. But the U.S. editions are aces.

19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

From your lips to God's ears.

20. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

That's pretty neat - awesome you got to talk to her. I wish Prince would have been a bit more kind to her given all she did for him.

HotelYorba101 and Fortysomething like this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

She was very nice and very gracious with her time! And very passionate about her time working with Prince, I recently read a quote from Prince mentioning her in a interview from his later years and I definitely agree with you on that one as well

CBackley likes this.
  22. Nostaljack

How was he mean to her? I'm honestly asking. As far as I know, she did her job, did it well, and got paid for it. She also bears no ill will. Am I missing something?

Ed

23. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Music company wants money, shocker!!

Nostaljack likes this.
  25. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It’s hard to imagine they’d be anywhere near as good as the most recent rounds of Prince vinyl reissues.

englishbob likes this.