Prince - Welcome 2 America - July 30th (new album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EndorphinMachine, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Prince ~ "Welcome 2 America" - DR12 !!!

I've never seen a pre-release YouTube DR number lie yet. This is fantastic news!

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Same here - $100 MSRP is too steep for that set.

I'd go... $40 or so for it.

3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I hope there´s an Amazon preorder pretty soon

D-rock likes this.
  4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

This is a must. I love Prince way too much to pass on this. I like that this is an album put together by the artist himself.

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Considering how decent every album's matering has been since after the Purple Rain remaster, and Bernie's involvement with all of these, I am really happy knowing that dynamic range is likely an issue we won't have to worry about much on Vault releases

7. Yazid Manou

Yazid Manou Forum Resident

Hey guys, the album will be profiled on CBS’ 60 Minutes Sunday, April 11.

YM

C6H12O6, D-rock, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  8. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Not bad. The single reminds me of that Neurotic Lotus Flower Strangler song of his that leaked recently.

9. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I’m a Prince fan but not familiar with these songs. Are these like Makaveli or given the 2Pac treatment?

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I didn't like 20Ten, so I hope this is an improvement.

jmxw and C6H12O6 like this.
  11. No, these songs were recorded by Prince in 2010 for an album he never released. He has many unreleased albums, which is why you might not know these songs. In fact, there will probably be several unreleased albums that will come out.

With the mount of material that Prince has, it will be 80+ years before archivist start reconstructing Prince songs from fragments.

Hep Alien, C6H12O6, CBackley and 4 others like this.
  12. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

If you’re asking if they’ve added things posthumously the answer is no - they’ve not done that yet with Prince and can’t imagine they would - it’s not their M.O. This album was slated for release before he pulled it

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation!

14. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

I was at this show! And many others of the Forum residency. Wish they were releasing more than one night, and in particular the night he jammed Supersition with Stevie (Prince on bass). I'll take what I can get.

Crispy Rob, C6H12O6, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  15. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Gold vinyl ordered. Looking forward to this.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Would have been cool if they had a super deluxe version with all of the Forum concerts. I don’t care what the “Prince tax” would have been...I would have bought it.

17. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Preordered off Amazon, hope the price goes down. Only made it to three of the Forum shows (not this one!), all were very different, all were unbelievably excellent. Hell, I’d buy an enormous box of that run of shows. Really wish I wasn’t forced to get vinyl I just won’t listen to. Would much rather have the concert on CD as well.

Bring on Diamonds And Pearls!

18. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

There were a lot of them, I think over 20 shows, plus he did an aftershow (2 sets) at the Troubadour which I now regret missing. Who knew he'd leave us? There really need to release more aftershow material. I have so many jaw-dropping bootlegs of aftershows.

C6H12O6, CBackley, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  19. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Going to be expensive times again - this release & RSD release "The Truth" and the rumoured Crystal Ball set & of course D&P Deluxe..................
    time to start saving............................

CBackley, D-rock, ad180 and 1 other person like this.
  20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

If anything they should have released the April 23rd show much better and longer set list plus I was at that show.
    I saw 5 of the shows on that LA stop.

thesisinbold likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

My local news radio station actually mentioned "Welcome" today and they said there are claims Prince left 8000 unreleased songs!

That can't really be true, can it? :eek:

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yes indeed, the only person who ever added new elements to songs from the Prince vault was.... Prince.

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Well, if you write and record one song a day for 22 years, that'll get you to 8000.

We know there are years when Prince was hitting that mark and then some.... occasionally finishing TWO songs a day. And he was recording at that pace for the better part of 3 decades. And some of those "songs" might just be studio experiments that were quickly recorded and abandoned, rather than being probably fleshed out.

So..... Maybe??

24. Oatsdad

Yeah, I guess it comes down to how one defines "song".

Fully complete composition? Half-written but getting there? Doodle on the piano?

I think for most people, when they hear "8000 songs", they think "8000 fully completed tracks ready to be released on albums".

Given how self-sufficient Prince was, I'm sure there are more "complete songs" in his vault than with 99.9% of artists - who'd be more likely to leave basic demos, IMO - but I doubt there are 8000 "done and ready to roll" songs! :shrug:

Matthew Tate and croquetlawns like this.
  25. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Bought the deluxe, Gold LP and the 7".

The estate is greedy, but at least they're releasing stuff. I hope these so-called deluxe editions make them a fortune so they could keep this thing going.

If you consider Cloreen Bacon Skin "done and ready to roll", I think there could be more than 8000 songs.