Prince - Welcome 2 America - July 30th (new album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EndorphinMachine, Apr 8, 2021.

1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"Purple and Gold" is better than everything that came before Batman soundtrack.

all day and every day ...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    AnthonyCM, EVOLVIST and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I also think a Gold/Come box would work given a lot of it was from the same sessions, especially since I think a Come SDE on its own would be a tougher sell than most of what preceded it.

I also have a feeling we'll get a Black/Lovesexy combination box which would also be brilliant. Hopefully that will be the 2023 box if its true that Warner and Sony will alternate years, with Sony supposedly doing Diamonds And Pearls this year, Warner doing Parade next year and pretty much a given for Purple Rain in 2024, if that's the case hopefully Black/Lovesexy in 2023 (35th anniversary of Lovesexy) and a Gold/Come era set in 2025 (30th anniversary of TGE).

3. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

"And truth is a new minority" ~ Prince, Welcome 2 America"

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its worth hearing. you can get it cheap. it just feels very generic for the most part

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Yeah, that's not happening. It'll just be D&P, which is too bad, as the outtakes from that era are generally pretty dire.

YMC4 likes this.
  6. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

That's a stinker...

7. This song should have ended exactly at the 1:31 mark. Like a vignette. But the other problem is the choice of instruments. It sounds corny. It also makes "Hot Summer" sound like a masterpiece.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  8. Robbie1

Robbie1 Well-Known Member

Just people trying to dig on later Prince. I don't understand the point. I don't write off is later work like some have. Purple & gold is Prince trying something different. It more like a national anthem ,when needed to b like three lions or a rock anthem. Three lions was done by people with passion for sport. Prince had no interest in American football & it shows.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  9. Robbie1

Robbie1 Well-Known Member

'I feel like I am thrust into Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, where everything is understood backwards, and up is down.'
    He coming up with better lines than his hero Bob Dylan.
    I like is review of W2A album best 'hot dumpster fire' .

10. We all know that Prince was a basketball fan.

I've never written off Prince, though. There have been a few times that I didn't understand what he was doing, but I knew that his talent never left him. There have been quite a few later-day songs that I've cited, where I'm like, "Man, if this had come out in 1985, this would have been a hit! It would have blew friggin' minds!"

Personally, I'd rather listen to Musicology or 3121 over Around the World in a Day. I'd rather listen to AtWiaD over Planet Earth. I'd rather hear Art Official Age over any of those. I'll take The Black Album over Lovesexy.

There is no right answer, but people like to pretend there is. :)

11. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I really doubt that people that pretend there’s one right answer to things did ever get what Prince was all about . They missed the whole point .

12. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

then I feel sorry for you. The best art takes time to unfold. Anyway...I can see this going down a road I don't care to travel. I have the new Sloan to play and I have no idea whether or not I'm going to like it but I'm going to give it a fair chance...enjoy!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I agree...but this one isn't the best art nor the best Prince. It is good but not great in my opinion and I do feel that five spins/deep listens is more than enough to formulate an initial opinion of something. I may come back to it but I also have deep and varied shelves plus I find upwards of 50 new albums a year so I play A LOT of music new and old. Enjoy the new Sloan. I haven't played it yet but I do go way back with the band. Saw them a few times in the early EP/Twice Removed era as they often played southern Ontario when I was in University. I dug them quite a bit up until the One Chord or Another and then they lost me for a bit although I did really like The Double Cross and especially Commonwealth which may be my favourite album by them so I will play the new one at some point. Oh Kid A is my second favourite Radiohead album. The King of Limbs is easily tops for me.

Izozeles likes this.
  14. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

Does anyone know what the next release will be? Diamonds & pearls?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

That is the rumour but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Tojo, Matthew Tate and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

I just have the album a listen after having a week without listening.

I found it still to be a very satisfying listening experience.

17. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Hmmmm

Well, in one of the suites at the Minnesota Vikings' stadium, there's a specially commissioned portrait of Prince.

So I guess that they have forgiven him for this!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  18. mjb

mjb Senior Member

DeepDiscount is running an amazing sale on the box set -- 69% off, which takes it down to only $32.50!!!

19. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Thank You! :edthumbs:

Greenalishi and croquetlawns like this.
  20. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

cheers. Ordered to the UK - total £45 ($60). Not as big a bargain for those in the US, but still half the price anywhere else. Thanks.

21. Jimmy Agates

Great price and using the 10% off code (PLUNGE) it comes down to $70AUS which is about half the price it is on Amazon...

22. Jimmy Agates

Not at all i actually love his later stuff but that was simply BAD...

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up.:righton:
    Just placed the order.

Glad I held off buying this Box Set when it was released, although was planning to eventually get it, as I streamed the W2A Album a few times back in August and liked it, so this sale worked out great. Just as stoked for the BluRay Concert. Will be great to watch it while recovering from a Low Back Surgery scheduled this December in another attempt to relieve my Damaged L4 and L5 Nerves Pain(caused by my Original Herniated Disc Surgery).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  24. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

and STILL not worth it!

CBackley and Electric Sydney like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I listen to this about every ten days or so: I still enjoy it but think a couple of songs should have been cut.