Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I received my VC-E today. I've only set it up and used it for one LP so far, but here are my initial impressions.

Good:
    Quieter than the Record Doctor V.
    The case is very slightly larger than the RD V, but fits in the same space for me.
    Seems to do a great job in a shorter amount of time. I don't know if I can say it cleans better than the RD V, but maybe I'll have an idea after I try some discs that the V couldn't make completely silent.

Not So Good:
    I'm surprised Pro-Ject doesn't sell a cover for it to keep the pads etc. from getting dusty. But, my RD V cover fits it, so I'm good.
    The cleaning fluid bottle doesn't have a squeeze top. You have to unscrew the top and pour from the open top. It's messy. Maybe I'll just use the RD fluid bottle, which does have a squeeze top.

beowulf likes this.
  2. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

3. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The vent issue and the price drop of the VC-S2 ALU, in the UK at least, are pushing me towards the larger version.

4. dougotte

After having almost a week using it, I still like the VC-E. It is definitely easier and quieter than the RD V. I can't say it's getting my discs any cleaner, though. Because I still have a half-bottle of the RD fluid (0.5l bottle), I decided not to waste it. When it's finished, I'll transfer the diluted Pro-Ject fluid over to that bottle (see my complaint about the lack of a squeeze top on the Pro-Ject bottle, above).

Is the Pro-Ject fluid any better than the RD fluid?

5. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I ended up puling the trigger on the bigger S2, and just received it from MD this morning. Weird thing, though. The only real assembly needed is screwing down the bottom disc to the spindle before placing the adhesive pad over it. I imagine it's the same on the E. The screw that holds it in place is already partly in place on the spindle. When I tried to unscrew it it didn't come out easily or evenly, as if either the threads on the screw or in the spindle were stripped or skewed. I got it out, but there was no way to get it back in to hold the disc in place. Ended up practically stripping the head and only getting it about halfway back in.

Called MD and still waiting for a return label. Sucks - wanted to try this out this weekend. But while I was on the phone, the woman at MD told me she's been hearing several complaints about this RCM. Not sure what "several" means. But I'll give it another chance and see what I get!

6. Fuller

Fuller Forum Resident

Anymore thoughts on the Pro-ject RCM's?
    I'm thinking of buying one soon and was interested in how those who had bought one is getting on with it.
    I did read Okki Nokki have some new models coming out too.

displayname likes this.
  7. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I got my replacement S2 a month ago and have been using it regularly after using a VPI 16.5 the last several years. Comparing this one to that, I'd have to say its a mixed bag for me.
    • This has a great two-way motor at a much cheaper price than VPI offers one.
    • I like the fact that my the record doesn't come in contact with the platter when I flip it, but that's forced me to change my cleaning technique. I used to use a mofi pad for the initial cleaning and press down pretty hard when I had dirty thrift shop/garage sale records, which I can't to with this. I now use the included pro-ject brush on my first pass (which, btw, has lost a few bristles during cleaning that ended up on my record!).
    • The vacuum is adequate - dries in a few revolutions - but not as strong (or loud) as the VPI vacuum. But it works well.
    • I really appreciate that pro-ject has a metal wand instead of VPI's plastic one. Those VPI wands didn't last long before cracks set in and the replacement costs were ridiculous. I almost think its done on purpose!
    • I'm glad I got the S2 with the side vent instead of the smaller one with the top vent. Might not have been an issue, but I can definitely fell warm, damp air coming out of the vent even cleaning 2-3 records at a time.
    • I had some trouble at first with cleaning solution left behind right at the edge of the label after cleaning. The clamp is great, but the pad underneath doesn't go all the way to the edge of the clamp, leaving an 1/8 of an inch where the metal sticks out over the pad all the way around where excess fluid can be trapped. So I bought a small sheet of rubber and cut it out to the size of the record label and place that between the clamp and the record and also watch my fluid use and that solved the problem.
    All in all, I'd rather have this than the 16.5, mainly because of the reverse motor. For those new or just dusty records this one work well. But if the VPI Cyclone wasn't more than double the price, I'd rather have that.

displayname likes this.
  8. dougotte

I'm still enjoying my VC-E. My nitpicks reported above still stand.

9. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I guess I'm not understanding this correctly. In your post, you say the Pro-ject has a two way motor but you'd rather have the VPI because of the reverse motor. Am I missing something?

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Still loving mine. Still glad my Okki Nokki is in the landfill it should have been in four replacement wands ago.

11. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

The 16.5 only has a 1 way motor. I'm saying that I like the pro-ject over the 16.5 because of the pro-ject's 2 way motor. But if the VPI Cyclone (which does have a 2 way, reversable motor) weren't so expensive, I'd take that over the pro-ject.

displayname and IGD Positive like this.
  12. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Have you checked your stylus now that you are using the new record cleaning machine? I can see a hugh difference from using SC/RDV and the new Pro-Ject.

13. Slippers-on

I would take what they say at MD with a grain of salt. They will tell you anything over there to get you to spend more money....she may have had it in her mind to get you to buy a more expensive machine.

14. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Oh man, I read your comment totally incorrect. You said "I'd rather have this than the 16.5" and for some reason I read you'd rather have the 16.5. My bad!

displayname likes this.
  15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

What happened with your Okki Nokki? I've had mine for 8 years now- I must say it's an amazing workhorse that really gets the job done with excellent results. I love it! The Pro-Ject VC-S2 ALU as well as the VC-E are excellent RCM's. I believe the new model Okki Nokki ONE might be really good and a big step up from the previous versions of the Okki Nokki. Some of the new features are that it's possible to choose either to have a full 12" platter or the same label size platter as on the Pro-Ject VC models, the next nice feature is the all-in-one vacuum arm that is ready for 7", 10" and 12" records, the dustcover is now included and last but not least it is extremely quiet.

RolandG and MGW like this.
  16. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

No problem!

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I get the impression that Okki Nokkis used to be better - you mention 8 years of ownership, I take it you have the metal wand?

My issues with the Okki were mostly based around the warping plastic armwand - there are a lot of reports of this in the Okki thread. It also had issues with a small tank and lost effectiveness as it filled up, etc.

But for the most part I'd say that Pro-Ject just does a good job of R&D and learning from the mistakes of competitors. Metal wand, no platter, etc. It's good to see Okki is making some needed changes as well, but I'm impressed at how quickly Pro-Ject is moving in this space to iterate their designs, it seems they're still relatively new to the space but are on their 3rd generation already.

McLover and GyroSE like this.
  18. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

This might interest those involved in this thread as well:
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/watsons-rcm-anyone-got-any-experience.936417/#post-23353789

19. dougotte

I've never paid much attention to my stylus, and don't even have a tool to properly examine it (the shame!). Very rarely, I'll notice a bit of dust or hair on it and use my old Discwasher brush with a drop of fluid. But, it's so rare that I can't say there's been any change either way since I started using the VC-E in January.

However, I am still using the RDV fluid (see previous comment about the Pro-Ject bottle not having a squeeze top). Do you feel like the Pro-Ject fluid might be better somehow than the RDV fluid?

20. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yes I've the German made version with the metal wand- so far I've had zero issues with it and it's as effective today as it was back in February 2012 when I got it.

Ah, I remember now, there was a thread about this a couple of years if I remember correctly?

Yeah, Pro-Ject has really evolved this series in a very short time- it's really a strenth to be able to improve a product in the way that Pro-Ject has done with VC series. I believe that Okki Nokki ONE is the answer to this- I really want to see an Okki Nokki ONE in the flesh and I would very much like to test how good it really is.

21. Slippers-on

Not sure bout the RDV fluid as I used it up years ago. My method was to do a great scrub with the Spin Clean depending on how dirty the record was then after the SC, I used the RDV to do a second cleaning if I thought the record needed and then I used the RDV to VAC but for the most part the RDV was used as a vac only after I used up the fluid for the RDV. I only purchased fluid for the SP.

But I've always took a good look at my needle to see if it was clean. Build up would always appear after I cleaned the needle, scrubbed the record and dried it. I could play about 10 sides and take a look at the needle and there was yuk. So I'd clean it and after 10 sides I'd have to clean it. Once I got the VC-E, the yuk isnt like it was before. SO I'd recommend you start taking a good look at your needle to see if the needle is infact clean. You can go to Amazon and get a good small jewlers loupe to keep besides the small needle brushes so you can check it eery so often to take a good look at the needle to see how long it takes yuk to build up. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XWJGN...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

dougotte likes this.
  22. dougotte

Thanks for recommending the loupe. I received it yesterday, and was horrified to see a lot of hairs/lint dangling off the stylus. I'll now be using it to check the stylus on a semi-regular basis!

23. Slippers-on

Yes sir! Keeping the needle clean will help the life of it, as well as keeping the records sounding great....free of ticks and pops.

24. dougotte

I was momentarily alarmed yesterday. I thought the VC-E was getting louder. So, I looked at it with the motor and vacuum off, and noticed that the wand is not level with the LP:
    [​IMG]
    Then, I turned on the motor and vacuum. The suction pulls the disc level with the wand. I guess it's OK. I haven't noticed any remaining schmutz near the outside of the disc after cleaning. I don't know if I should try to adjust the platter holding the disc. Any opinions? Thanks.

25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

The Pro-Ject is on my radar