Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Some members are probably still in the closet. :D

2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

Yes I do. Eight revolutions one way seems to dry the disk, I then do eight in the other direction “just to be sue”.

3. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

about 3 in one direction.

Sullygr2221 and Old Zorki II like this.
  4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

After a weeks of using the Pro-ject fluid, my anecdotal evidence tells me that I think it is slightly better than the RD fluid. I've noticed fewer residual pops. Take that with some salt on your margarita glass...

I tried it a couple of times, but didn't notice any difference. Now I just do 4-5 rotations in clockwise motion.

:laughup:

displayname and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

VC-S2 pretty much sold out at every normal source in AU.

Sullygr2221 and displayname like this.
  6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Yeh, so am I. I do not want to scrab it with wand while it is totally dry, and often edges gonna be wet anyway. 5 minutes on drying rack will do the trick.

Peterr likes this.
  7. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

So, are ppl still using a drying rack or do they come out ready to resleeve?

8. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

If you leave it on the machine for a short time the project fluid evaporates.
    ( Mostly within a minute)

Sullygr2221 and E.Baba like this.
  9. Old Zorki II

Sometimes edges can still be wet. Plus who have patience when you have a stack of records to clean )). Rack is a little more convenient ))).

displayname and Peterr like this.
  10. Old Zorki II

Here is my cleaning station now featuring ultrasonic cleaner and VC-E. They compliment each other well, with ultrasonic doing wonders on some old and dirty records prior to finishing on VC-E.
    PS using pet pad under VC-E as some liquid can get spilled during scrabbing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I clean immediately prior to playing. Occasionally, there are a few drops or mist close to the edge, but I don't worry about it and haven't had any problems.

MK75 and E.Baba like this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So, the VC S2 ALU I purchased in January has began making the amazingly loud whine, which is definitely no good. A person can't be in the same room with it turned on. I've sent two emails to Sumiko support with no response.

Very disappointing. I loved that thing. I never cleaned more then a few records a day, either.

13. Old Zorki II

It takes them a while to answer, perhaps up 2 weeks.
    Make sure that you upload all info - receipts, unit s/n, etc

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    displayname likes this.
  14. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

:laugh: Like that

15. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the spindle is bent on mine or what the problem is, but when looking at it from an angle straight at the platter you can see it doesn't stay entirely flat when rotating but leans a bit in one direction, kinda like a record that has a storage warp. Given this, flat records look like they're warped when it's rotating and the vacuum struggles a bit with getting the solution off the record. Before returning it I'd like to double check that the platter is screwed on tight, but not sure if that will ruin the adhesive pad. I'm pretty sure it is, but returning it is a hassle.

displayname likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

There's no way to spin that response time. If a brand receives so much email that it takes weeks to triage it all (and there's no way Sumiko does), then they need to say as much in an auto-response or implement a support ticket system. Sumiko is likely a few people working from home in Berkeley, there's no good explanation for this.

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  17. Old Zorki II

I just checked my email. It took 12 days between "acknowledgment" email and next one, with a RA number. But I do not remember how long it took to get the acknowledgement email. But once I shipped the unit things moved fast.
    I agree that it is really slow and I never encounter that type of slowness of response with any other vendor. But now they have COVID excuse...

Rolltide likes this.
  18. Henrik_Swe

I guess I must have been lucky when contacting them about a month ago, when I had some questions/issues with my Pro-ject turntable. Think they got back to me the next day, and upon a follow up question, the next day again. 12 days is indeed absurd. I just filed a ticket, we'll see how long it takes this time...

displayname likes this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm guessing the "I would like to buy something from you" emails are dealt with much differently the "I already gave you my money but...." emails.

20. Henrik_Swe

For sure, but I had problems with a turntable I had already bought.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Ah, yes. Anger wit Pro-Ject has impacted my ability to read it seems.

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I was looking at the pro-ject and almost pulled the trigger. I think I’ll go with the VPI cyclone. I really wish I could swing the degritter

displayname likes this.
  23. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

What inspired the jump up from the Project all the way to the Cyclone?

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm just thinking the longevity might be better. There are people who have been using the VPIs for many years.

displayname likes this.
  25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What's so frustrating is when I bought the Pro-Ject I was definitely thinking about the longevity of VPI and how nobody ever seems to have the vacuum go bad, etc. But I'm of the opinion that plastic arm tubes and full platters are outdated designs - the former inevitably breaks, the latter leads to dust and static. I also don't like the recessed nature of the VPI that allows them to do built in dust covers, as it seems like water would pool inside and it would get messy.

As for the Cylcone, I don't see the point. From the description, you pay twice as much for the ability to vacuum in both directions.

displayname and Gumboo like this.