Pro-Ject The Classic SB turntable speed problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by heavysoul, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've had this turntable for about a year and have had no problems. Tonight, suddenly, the table started playing records way too fast at both 33 and 45 RPM speeds. Everyone suddenly sounds like a chipmunk! I can't see any visible problems with the belt, so I'm guessing it might be a problem with the internal speed box itself.

Luckily it's under a 2-year warranty so I should be able to do something about this. But does anyone know what the problem might be?

2. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I'd say burnt out speed box. Happened to me too few years ago.

I also suggest you download the RPM application on your phone and measure your TT speed.

Regards

3. heavysoul

Thanks! I do have an RPM app and I've measured it. At the 33 speed, the table is running at about 40rpm. At the 45pm setting, it's running at over 50. The table also makes a grinding noise when it is speeding up, which it's never done before.

A little disappointed that I've had this table only a year and the SB is already burnt out. It's under warranty so (hopefully) I'll be sending it back to the authorized seller for repairs.

Just curious, how did you solve your burned-out speed box problem? Is there a particular repair shop you'd recommend if this happens again, after the table is out of warranty?

4. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

It was my local hi-fi shop (now defunct), who sent it back to someone in Melbourne (Australia) to fix it. From my recollection, it was blown (burnt) Zener diode/voltage regulator. Apparently. Very an easy thing to fix.

Regards

patient_ot and heavysoul like this.
  5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

One of the things that keeps me from belt drive tables is the speed thing. Of the three direct drive tables I own, it's never been an issue. Of the two belt drive tables I've owned, it was an issue on my Marantz 6100 but not my Pioneer PL12D. I've looked at the Pro-Ject Classic and the new MH Classic but the belt drive...

McLover, heavysoul and patient_ot like this.
  6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Belt drive vs. direct drive is a separate issue. The issue with the turntable at hand is apparently an electronics failure. And it’s a type of electronics most Pro-Ject and Music Hall belt-drive turntables don’t even have. I used to have a Marantz direct-drive turntable that wouldn’t run at the correct speed. It wasn’t because it was a direct-drive, though.

heavysoul, patient_ot and macster like this.
  7. Gojulas

Gojulas New Member

My 40 years old Mitsubishi direct drive TT is in the shop for speed issues. On mine it is aggressive "wow and flutter". I have a thread on this forum about it.

8. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

Thats a pretty small sampling. There are literally millions of belt drive tables that run just fine. Tables are electronics and any type have positives and negatives to the design

ggergm likes this.
  9. heavysoul

Got the table back today with the electronic SB fixed under warranty. It’s singing again, beautifully.

Part of me is a bit concerned, though, that the electronic SB failed on this after just one year, especially since the ‘table only has a two-year warranty. Even if it’s an easy (and cheap?) fix, as DrZhivago suggested above, I’m not eager to have to deal with these electronic failures on a regular basis, especially once the warranty ends in a year.

I’m curious to hear if other Classic SB owners have had the electronic speed box fail on them, too. One option I have is to sell this table and put that money toward the cheaper Classic without the SB, or another table altogether. (I’d probably hold onto the Sumiko cart, though-love it.)

Soundslave and Isamet like this.
  10. CaptainFun

CaptainFun New Member

Hi, I just had this happen to me yesterday and a user over on r/turntables directed me to this thread. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to correct this?

11. heavysoul

Mine was under warranty when it happened. I sent it back to the dealer I bought it from for repairs. I believe this table has a 2-year warranty.

12. CaptainFun

CaptainFun New Member

Mine is 5 years old, so I’m out of luck with the warranty repair. Did they tell you anything about what the repair consisted of? Another user above mentioned a burnt out Zener diode/voltage regulator. Does that sound right? I’m going to have to find a local hi-if repair shop and would like to give them as much information as possible.

13. heavysoul

I was told it was a problem with the electronics inside the speedbox. Unfortunately, I don’t know much more than that. Sorry. Best of luck with it.

14. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I don't have the SB version but I've had a Project Classic for about three years now without a single issue... I rarely play 45's so the manual speed change isn't a big deal, and no electronics to worry about either.

15. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I prefer a stand alone speed box like I have with my 2Xperience. If it goes wrong it can easily be replaced with a new one.

Good luck geting it fixed Cap'n.

16. Skip Taylor

Skip Taylor New Member

I have a Pro-ject Xtension 10 Evolution with an internal SB. My problem with the SB isn't the speed since I do not change speeds but only use the the 33/third option. My problem is the On/Off button of the Speed Box. It can take me multiple attempts to turn the damn motor on. Sometimes I just give up. I bought this turntable used and I love everything else about it but this is really getting me p*ssed. In order to send this for repair I will need to open my bank account since the unit with the wooden crate weighs in at around 122 pounds. Has anyone found a replacement internal SB for a DIY. Thanks in advance.

17. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

So what happens when you first press the middle button? Does the display show 33.3 or does it stay in standby? You sometimes have to press it more than once for it to activate the display and motor? Do you put it in standby when done playing by holding down the button, and does that work? Have you tried unplugging the power and reconnecting to reset it? Does look like a really nice table, but I don't think you could use an external device, you don't really have direct access to the motor, do you, without disconnecting the current built-in speed control circuit?

18. Skip Taylor

Skip Taylor New Member

1. When I first press the middle button it stays in standby mode. I sometimes have to press it multiple times to start. Other times I give up after dozens of tries.

2. When I shut it down I press the middle button while it displays 33.3. Again after multiple attempts I give up and unplug the power supply

Is this the normal response I should expect. I may be overly impatient but I'm worried that this is a symptom of a future failed SB.

Thanks for your response and if you might be able to put me onto a source for parts it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Skip

19. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Sorry, I don't really have any advice, I was just trying to better understand the problem. So when you try to power off, you press and hold down the center button and it doesn't do anything, doesn't go to standby, or switch to 45, or anything? When it is displaying 33.3, and you momentarily press the button, does it change to 45? And press again and back to 33.3? I'm sure you know, but Sumiko is the North America distributor of Pro-Ject, so may want to contact them and ask for advice.

I don't see anything on top to hold the switch assembly in place, so must all be attached from below. Probably integrated with a circuit board ...

[​IMG]

20. Skip Taylor

Skip Taylor New Member

Thanks again! I wasn't aware that Sumiko is the North American Distributor. That's helpful. I also found a dealer about an hour from me and I will be contacting them in the near future.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What happened to the dealer you bought the TT from? Why not contact them?

22. Skip Taylor

Skip Taylor New Member

I bought it used from a private party quite a while ago!

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Understood. Good luck with the repair. Problems with motors and speed control on these things seems fairly common. Not a fan of the brand, personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.