Pro-Ject VC-S mkII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echoplex, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sometimes, yes....just depends on how many records I clean that day.

If i’m cleaning multiple records at a time, then I’ll use a lint free cloth to dampen the felt strip on the vacuum arm, then go over it with the lint roller before each cleaning cycle. And also the brushes as well.

The discoloring on the felt strips is normal, but you should definitely give them a once over with the lint brush before starting normal cleaning cycle, and replace periodically.

2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Here's as good a place as anywhere rite?
    I'm well pleased with my vc-s, however I'm still getting a bit of water on labels, even using the label clamp!
    I'm using a spray bottle of the wash it solution 1 to 10 mix
    I have the platter quite high, the arm is still able to clamp on and I've found using it lower means the solution isn't vacumed off propperly.
    I dab the clamp dry with a micro fibre cloth, I also dry the arm
    What am I doing wrong?
    tbh I'm totally blind and am not losing sleep over labels but still!

3. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Try using a little less fluid. It’s really easy to use a lot, and the Pro-Ject fluid really runs under the label protector if there’s a lot or you brush it into the center. I’m using the VPI fluid right now and it’s been easier to keep it off the labels, even when I use too much.

4. Robert Godridge

thank you I will try that!

5. Robert Godridge

Another question,
    Is there a cheap way to get a spare arm? £65 for a new one is a lot of money!

6. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Recently got this machine a few weeks ago and i'm still getting used to it so I have a few questions if you can all help!

1. When vacuuming, the record seems to attach to the arm at the outer most part of the record (as it should to vacuum) but then de-attaches, then attaches, etc all while slightly bouncing (like a warped record on a turntable) causing the outer most part to take longer to dry. That can't be normal, right?

2. I recently got a bottle with a nozzle (for cooking!) and it works great. But i'm still getting liquid (small amount now) on the label even with the screw top in place. Any advice?

3. Anyone else not like the brush it comes with? I feel like it does nothing. Can I use something else? AudioQuest brush?

4. The white strips attached to the arm by glue seem to come off a little bit and I keep having to press down to stay. It also came with black strips but they aren't the same height so I thought that was weird. Should I use the black strips instead?

Overall I like this machine. I was using the spin clean before and it was too much work. My issue right now is I feel like i'm not getting the most out of this machine. It's great for first time records out of the package but it hasn't helped too much for that "deep deep" clean. I'm also using a 1/20 ratio as per the instructions (that math was so hard to figure out!!!! haha).

Thank you to everyone in advance!

7. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

1. Warped records will do this, or maybe the platter needs to be adjusted up a little bit. Adjustment is a PITA, but might help.

2. What works for me (mostly): using less fluid, which is easier said than done sometimes; being very careful about not brushing into the center; using the VPI fluid, which beads up more and doesn’t gather in the center.

3. I haven’t had any issues with the brush, but I hear others have and you can certainly use one you like better.

4. No idea. I haven’t had a problem with the strips as of yet.

Also, I mixed a small amount of the fluid in a 10:1 ratio that I use for dirtier records. It works pretty well. I’m still using that for very dirty records, even though I’m using the VPI fluid for most cleaning.

Hope some of this helps.

hitmanhart408 likes this.
  8. shnplr

shnplr New Member

VCS Mk 2 initially I liked it, but now I'm not too sure...
    I had cleaned about 50 records and noticed the vacuum started producing less suction until none - completely wet record after vacuuming - it could even hold a small piece of tissue paper. I emptied the tank it still no good. Then the vacuum motor started making a VERY scary high pitch noise and right now I can't turn it on again in case it explodes (my wife won't let me) - I've contacted my supplier for a return.
    Other things I noted:
    1. The tiny hex screw which adjusts the height is a pain to get to and adjusting the height is guesswork. I didn't buy the thing thinking I might need to adjust height. Is this really a feature?
    2. Also if you screw the platter too tight ???, after a while, eventually the whole contraption starts slipping on the spindle - first side to side, then just fall off - the tiny hex screw is all that's supporting the platter directly against the motor spindle; it directly contacts (and therefore dents) the motor spindle thing..ugh
    3. I'm starting to think the vacuum arm design with spring used by VPI/Okki Nokki could be a better option.

Hopefully I just got a dud

9. Robert Godridge

that bouncing record thing, are they really fin 80s records? if this happens with all records you might want to mess about with the height. I had that problem, then adjusted the height down too far and records were not drying, finally got it rite!
    Liquid on label, yep had this problem! I now use a tonar wet goat brush and don't get anything like the amount of fluid I used to get on my label. Seems the wet goat brush helps though feels much more flimsy than the pro-ject one which I now use on dirty 78s
    I've started to realise that used vinyl records even if they look absolutely mint rarely play as quietly as I like, so my wife is happy as since having the vc-s I've got rid of a lot of records! but when you do get that mint record and clean it propperly results are, to me, amazing.
    I've actually started just using distilled water without cleaning fluid for the closer to mint records, anyone else do this?

10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I had one. I returned it. The vacuum arm was machined improperly and I needed all my strength to lift it off the record.
    Their customer service was atrocious. I was forced to pay the shipping to Sumiko for repair even though it was brand new. After 1 1/2 months, they agreed but woouldn’t have a new one to send me for another 1 1/2 months. Told them to keep it and promptly called Dealer for a refund. Dealer eventually refunded me all the shipping costs I incurred. Stay away.

milankey likes this.
  11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Recently I’ve noticed that one strip always get dirty quickly while the other stays mostly white. The last 3 times I’ve changed strips one is always dark grey/near black while the other is just slightly off white. I thought it may have to do with always starting rotating records in the same direction, meaning one strip hits the dirt first, but was curious if anyone else is getting this?

Is there a recommendation on how often to change the strips? I feel like I’m doing it quite often and am just going by when the one strip turns almost black. (Btw, the majority of records I’ve cleaned recently have been a 70/30 new/used split.)

12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Ordered a Music Hall WCS3 after the Project debacle. Nice little aluminum unit. Came defective. Vacuum didn’t work at all. Music Hall (who shipped the item to me), unlike Sumiko, emailed me a return shipping label immediately (without forcing me to pay). I’ve had enough. I’m beginning to think I’m not meant to have a RCM. I’m going for the VPI 16.5, which many have been using for years. With the discount and gift certificate the dealer gave me for my troubles, it’s costing me the same as the Project.

13. Peter Duncan

Peter Duncan Well-Known Member

What would be the best spindle height to start with, relative to the arm? Should the arm rest flush on a record even on a deactivated device, i.e. should it touch the record even with vacuum turned off? Or should a little bit of space be between the lips on the record?

I already experimented with the platter height, but so far my records are not dry after 2 revolutions, contrary to Pro-Ject's manual.

14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I leave a very small gap and when I turn the vacuum off it lifts off the records slightly.

15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I've been trying to justify replacing my Nitty Gritty 1.0, 'cause it's kind of a pain to use, but it's been working fine since the mid-1980s. I was intrigued by the ProJect, which I liked better, conceptually, than the Okki-Nokki, but have been put off by reliability complaints.

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I tbink I’ve had mine 2 yrs and no issues

17. hitmanhart408

Mine takes much more than 2 revolutions to dry. I spin it one way, let it dry for about 10 seconds, spin it the other way and let it dry for a few revolutions, and then back the first way for a quick 1-2 revolutions. Always comes out great afterwards.

Echoplex likes this.
  18. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

My project VCS definitely need more then 2 revolutions too :( I get usually 5 revolutions on each directions. I do not know why my suction arm it is closer to spindle too.

19. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, ideally you want the vacuum arm to be flush to the record, but bare in mind, vinyl comes with many imperfections, so it's sometimes impossible to get it perfect every time, but as long as you can get it close, then you should be ok.

I wouldn't worry too much about the record not being dry in only two revolutions. The speed of the mini-platter motor is the primary reason for that.
    What I have found that works best for me is letting the record spin 3 to 4 revolutions clockwise, then 3 to 4 counter-clockwise. Also, after wet cleaning, I also spin the record two additional revolutions (in both directions) and use a can of compressed air to ensure that it is dry.

20. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Is true the OKKI NOKKI has motor with minimal half speed of project vcs. If project vcs has rotate with same speed as okki noki probably 2 revolutions will be enough.

21. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I bought one this summer ’19, today, the vacuum sound was unusually loud with a higher pitch. I mean LOUD! I’d be embarrassed to demonstrate it to somebody. It still seemed to vacuum normally but I don’t know what to do. I opened it up and looked around, everything seemed un-moveable. My return window has expired from Amazon. Any ideas on repairs?

22. hitmanhart408

try to email Amazon anyway. They have insanely good customer service.

23. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I just did and they are (making a one time return date exception) refunding and free postage to send back. I just need to get a sturdy box. Thanks for talking me into it.

24. hitmanhart408

That's awesome! If you have a nearby Kohl's store, check to see if they have an Amazon return kiosk and I think they do the packaging for you. On your amazon account you just have to select Kohl's as your return option.

25. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

This weekend I changed the stock arm strips to the Okki Nokki ones, they are bit wider and they dry a lot faster than the stock ones :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.