Produce your own film,unlimited budget!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Wasn't the label owner in That Thing You Do pretty much based on him?

2. Chris DeVoe

By the way, my biopic subject Pujol, a Royalist, was forced to serve on both sides in the Spanish civil war.

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

The Silmarillion, or parts of it...and I'd cast it with relatively unknown British stage actors.

bpmd1962 and Erik Tracy like this.
  4. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I won't give away too many details, because I may still try to write a play or piece about this someday, but I want to write about someone from my hometown. She would appear on the streets with a religious message.

But she wasn't what we'd all consider a "street person." She had a very interesting life story and although I am not particularly religious, I think it's a cool story about determination and drive. And belief.

Budget would not be crucial but I'd pay for good writers and a good cinematographer.

I'd also love to adapt a few novels by a writer named Janice Weber. She writes with a very sarcastic, dry narrative voice, and she's always got music in her books....not surprising as she is also a relatively well known classical musician.

Someday....if I had the budget....I'd actually like to start a web soap opera. Not "soap" in the over the top sense, but more in a serialized way, more like Harry Potter or Mad Men, a very specific setting and set of characters and how their lives happen. I think that can still be a powerful way to tell a story if it's not abused, misused or hyped to the nth degree.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Crime drama with a cast huge like The Departed. Screenplay: James Ellroy, Director: Antoine Fuqua, Cast: Brian Granston, Glenn Close, Denzel, Woody Harrelson, Mads Mikkelson, Maggie Siff.

alexpop, Chris DeVoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I want to do an animated Dreamworks reboot of Iron Man directed by Bryan Singer, written by Josh Whedon and starring the voices of Chris Pratt and Emily Blunt — and it should be done next month.

alexpop likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I’d like to see movie of the Broadway musical ‘Minnie’s Boys’, the music for the show was very good and it covers the early, pre-success years of the Marx Brothers.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Rendezvous With Rama

Ridley Scott or Denis Villeneuve

Bender Rodriguez and charlie W like this.
  10. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

One film? With 'unlimited budget,' I'd do at least three. Probably either documentaries or mockumentaries. Or an homage to those modest, black 'n' white sci-fi films of the 1950s. Especially one with dubbed sound!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Well I have some aspirations to work in film. Ideas I have off the top of my head:
    • A Captain Beefheart biopic, either based largely around the TMR era or Beefheart’s career as a whole. I’m not quite sure about who to play Beefheart (or FZ for that matter), but I’d go with maybe Terry Gilliam or a director in that vein for the project.
    • An animated film based around different jazz pieces from different eras and facets of jazz, sort of like Fantasia.

vince and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get that one made for decades. It should be possible now, but will probably wind up on Amazon or NetFlix.

SoCalWJS likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

If you get a chance, check out Kevin Willmott's Destination Planet Negro. It's a loving spoof of those 1950s science-fiction films. Here is the IMDb description:

In 1939, African American leaders respond to Jim Crow segregation by building a rocket to colonize Mars. The three person crew blasts off, but time travel instead, arriving in present-day America revealing much about race today.​

Featuring the scientist, his beautiful daughter and the handsome and brave pilot.

14. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I would do a Space Battleship Yamato or Star Blazers (as known in the USA )movie.A 3 hour film for each of the first 2 seasons,awesome Special effects and stick to the source material.

Grunge Master likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

I'm glad people are liking this post. His story was part of the whole Allied disinformation campaign called Operation Fortitude, where the Allies managed to convince the Nazis that we had a million more American soldiers than we really had with a fake First US Army Group led by a presumably very annoyed General George Patton and even inflatable rubber tanks:

[​IMG]

I cannot even imagine what someone in a balloon factory in Ohio thought as they were sewing up a rubber tank. "This is vital war work?"

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Great story. A first draft will cost you $15k. But for a SHF member $1,500. Lol. Ask Vidiot to check if any scripts are floating around. I see it. The desk-bound third act was looking sketchy for action until you mentioned D-Day, then it was clear sailing. Anyone but Del Toro! :p

alexpop likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

I was talking with a client of mine today about it who has produced a couple of movies, and he's going to introduce me to a writer.

My favorite part was when he was awarded the Iron Cross Second Class for bravery. First Class, like the Congressional Medal of Honor, has most often been awarded posthumously.

The ending is how he was completely unknown until a writer on spycraft tracked him down in 1984, and he was able to be properly presented with his MBE by Prince Phillip, who spent extra time talking to him about his experiences in the war, and was able to travel to Normandy for the 40th anniversary of D-Day.

[​IMG]

(Picture from his article on the web site Badass of the Week.)

As he lived in Venezuela after faking his death, and his Nazi contacts never knew he was a double-agent, I've often wondered if he helped identify any of them who moved to South America. I should ask the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Under these guidelines, I want to do a 3 film series based on Warren Ellis' "Planetary" comics:

[​IMG]

Or.... a single movie based on Frank Miller's "Ronin."

[​IMG]

Jim B. and alexpop like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Where's that Ronin image from?

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's fair to say the movie was based on a lot of stereotypes and tropes of the music business that go back 60-70 years.

Oh, there's a hundred SF movie scripts out there that, for whatever reason, have never gotten off the ground into production. Lucifer's Hammer is another good one.

A Creedence documentary is a great idea, provided you could clear all the music rights and get everybody alive involved.

21. Chris DeVoe

One would think Morgan Freeman being behind it would do something, but no.

22. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

longdist01 and Ghostworld like this.
  23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Several years ago, Richard Stanley adapted one of Donald Cammell’s last scripts, The Cull. Guy Pierce was attached to the project, which never made it beyond preproduction.

In his planning, Cammell had wanted Sean Connery for the movie (not in the Guy Pierce role). I don’t know if Connery is willing or even able to do any work, but he’d certainly be a major coup.

Premise: A former U.S. special forces soldier returns to his native Scotland after being framed for the mass destruction of a village in Afghanistan. In Scotland he plots revenge on his former commanding officer, but then gets blamed for another incident and finds himself being hunted by a group of deer hunters.

If anyone could capture some of Cammell’s onscreen hallucinatory vibe it would be Stanley.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thx! Ronin blew my mind! Want one! but luckily that website has LOTS of images.. Loved Ronin's art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Another one, and it could be a small budget except for the end, is James Stewart's The Heart of a Soldier about Rick Rescorla.

He was from Cornwall and grew up idolizing the US servicemen. He served three years in the British Army as a paratrooper, then served in the police in Rhodesia, an experience that made him a fierce anti-Communist. He met his best friend Daniel Hill who convinced him to join the US Army and fight in Vietnam. His experience in the Battle of Ia Drang was made into the Mel Gibson film We Were Soldiers, but he was merged into a composite of characters. After the war, he went to college and got a BA and MA in English and a law degree.

He became Director of Security for Dean Witter, whose offices were in the World Trade Center. He and his friend Hill figured out that the easiest way to attack the building was a truck full of explosives in the parking garage. He told the Port Authority that they needed to control parking, and they ignored his advice, and the building was bombed that was in 1993. Hill spoke fluent Arabic and had converted to Islam and helped figure out that Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman was behind the attack.

After that, his bosses took his advice more seriously and he drilled the combined Dean Witter/Morgan Stanley employees in evacuating the building.

On September 11, he evacuated 2,687 employees, then went back inside to look for stragglers. He was last seen on the 10th floor, heading up.

The book alternates between telling his history, and the love story with his second wife Susan after surviving prostate cancer. I first read about Rescorla in Stewart's New Yorker story The Real Heroes Are Dead.

As his friend Hill said: “You see, for Rick Rescorla, this was a natural death. People like Rick, they don’t die old men. They aren’t destined for that and it isn’t right for them to do so. It just isn’t right, by God, for them to become feeble, old, and helpless sons of bitches. There are certain men born in this world, and they’re supposed to die setting an example for the rest of the weak bastards we’re surrounded with.”

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Borgia, longdist01, EVOLVIST and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.